This is an exciting opportunity for experienced nurses to be involved with early phase, human challenge and experimental research at UHS. The research we conduct at UHS is focused on holistic approach to patient care and significantly contributes to the future progress of healthcare for all.
We truly make a difference to an individual's care and experience within UHS. We strive to ensure that research is considered a treatment option for all eligible patients closely working with clinical teams and within patient clinical pathways to ensure that research opportunities and our research team are expanding.
We have a team of around 300 research nurses, AHP's, Midwives and Clinical Trial Assistants, working together across the Trust, within our award winning teams to bring exciting research opportunities to UHS for the benefit of our patients and the future of healthcareMain duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.About us
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity for Band 6 registered nurses to support and develop the portfolio of studies within the Clinical Research Facility adult team working primarily on early phase, experimental and human challenge research.
The successful candidates will have extensive post registration experience including considerable senior band 5 experience in clinical research or a relevant clinical speciality and be able to lead independently on a variety of research studies. This unique role will enable you to develop both your research leadership skills and clinical skills in the context of delivering an exciting portfolio of different studies at UHS.
What you will do:
- You will be responsible for providing specialist research and clinical care to research participants
- Provide the management, co-ordination and implementation of research studies
- Be the clinical supervision to students, whilst providing line management to Band 3/4 Clinical Trial Assistants and our Research Nurses
What you will need:
- We need enthusiastic registered nurses who are organized, self-motivated and aspire to further their career in clinical research, whilst delivering a large portfolio of studies.
- You should have experience of clinical research and can work in a fast-paced clinical environment.
- Experience in early phase, human challenge and experimental medicine research would be beneficial.
- Team-working skills, flexibility and drive will be required to ensure the success of this post.
- You will need to have an excellent level of written and verbal communication skills, with IT skills being essential.
- Ability to work flexibly to cover different shift patterns across the working week is required.
You will work in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team, implementing studies to translate scientific discoveries into improved patient outcomes.
Some studies are delivered across a variety of settings and therefore ability to travel to different clinic locations is required.
Successful applicants can expect an excellent induction, a friendly working environment and professional support and development opportunities.
Closing date will be Midnight on Sunday 3rd December
- Registered Nurse on relevant part of the NMC register
- Educated to or working towards Degree level.
- Evidence of on-going professional / academic development.
- Mentorship qualification (or evidence of meeting the outcomes of the NMC standards)
- Clinical Skills certification relevant to role and specialty
Previous or relevant expirenceEssential
- Specialist qualification.
- Degree in healthcare or biomedical science subject
- Certification Leadership or management course
- Extensive post registration experience, including considerable senior band 5 experience in clinical research or a relevant clinical speciality
- Knowledge and experience within a relevant / acute healthcare / NHS setting
- Logical and consistent work and career pattern
- Recent management or leadership experience
- Interest in Clinical Research
- Knowledge of the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Knowledge of International Conference on Harmonisation/Good Clinical Practice (ICH/GCP).
- Provide evidence of teaching and supporting learners in practice.
Values and behavioursEssential
- Clinical Research experience.
- Experience as an NMC / HCPC sign-off mentor or clinical practice assessor.
- Experience of leading the delivery of a clinical research project.
- Experience of being a link nurse / AHP (e.g. infection prevention, Manual handling, fire warden, etc)
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
Southampton General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.