Working with a team of clinical photographers in the Photographic Section of Medical Illustration, to provide a wide range of photographic and clinical video support to the staff of Cardiff and Vale UHB.Main duties of the job
We are looking for a versatile and enthusiastic qualified clinical photographer to join our busy team providing a comprehensive photography and video service to the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board. Based primarily at the University Hospital of Wales but with major commitments to University Hospital Llandough, Barry Hospital and St. David's Hospital, the department delivers a fast, high-quality clinical and non-clinical service to a wide range of clients using digital photography and video technology. Our major users include ophthalmology, dermatology, wound healing and the breast care team.
You will need to be highly motivated, conscientious, a quick learner and a good communicator. You must be able to work alone as well as being a committed team player. The successful candidate will have a good range of clinical photography skills, (studio and location based) and have the strong desire to develop their knowledge and skills even further, the department supports and encourages development of its staff.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this role Welsh and/or English speakers are equally welcome to apply.About us
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is one of the largest Integrated Health Boards in the UK, employing over 15,000 staff, providing over 100 specialist services. Working across 6 hospital sites, we have a diverse range of career opportunities to offer. Serving around 500,000 people living in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, we are focussed on the health and care needs of our local population whilst working with our partners to develop regional services.
Our mission is Caring for People, Keeping People Well, and our vision is that every person's chance of leading a healthy life should be equal. As an organisation we are unashamedly ambitious for our population's health, rising to the challenges of today and tomorrow through our 10-year strategy, Shaping our Future Wellbeing. We are contributing to a healthier Wales with great emphasis placed on innovation and improvement, learning from around the world and leading the way in clinical research. Partnership working is strong at Cardiff and Vale, and we work closely with our staff and our community.
Cardiff, the thriving Welsh capital, is a fantastic city to live and work in with an abundance of sports, arts and cultural attractions. Situated to the west of Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan offers a combination of beautiful Welsh countryside and a dramatic natural coastline. Whether city life or rural living, Cardiff and the Vale offers the best of both worlds.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To undertake clinical photography and clinical video assignments to the highest standards, across a wide range of clinical specialities, including but not exclusively dermatology, ophthalmology, wound healing, paediatrics and trauma and orthopaedics.
To competently interpret requests for photography / video to provide clinicians with high quality images for patient care, triaging, diagnostic, teaching, publication and research purposes.
Undertake clinical photography in accordance with departmental protocols and procedures, using standardised representational photography and non-standardised techniques.
Undertake patient photography in a range of clinical settings, including clinics, on the wards, in operating theatres, and in the photography studio, adhering to the local standard operating procedures applicable to each clinical area. Ensure patient care, dignity and well-being is maintained during the photographic procedure, adapting photographic practice to meet individual needs, including but not exclusively, cognitive disorders, cultural and religious considerations, physical and sensory impairments.
Competently and creatively handle general photographic assignments e.g. PR photography, architectural photography and other forms of general photography. in support of the public relations, teaching and research activities of Cardiff & Vale UHB.
Ensure the quality of all photography produced within the department is of a highly professional nature and ensure it adheres to national and local policies and legislation. Including but not exclusively, consent, confidentiality, copyright and data protection, from the photographic request through to image storage and output.
Contribute to the maintenance of quality control of own work and across the section and oversee the work of any trainees working with them.
Produce high quality digital images using advanced technical skills in computerised image manipulation, ensuring that reproduction is accurate and in accordance with departmental procedures, being aware of the need for a defined audit trail.
Understand all relevant issues regarding patient consent for illustrative recording and able to provide advice about appropriate policy, techniques and image management to UHB staff.
Ensure patients understand why photographs / video is being requested, the process of consent for imaging and how the recordings may be used and securely stored.
Working as part of a multidisciplinary healthcare team to deliver patient centred care.
Advise clients, from all levels, on the most appropriate use of photography and clinical video techniques and resources.
Liaise with clients and Senior Photographers, when appropriate, in interpreting photographic briefs to meet clients needs across Cardiff & Vale UHB.
Contribute to developing and the implementation of protocols for photography and video capture and workflow, including research projects.
Assist the Head of Photography in the forward planning, development and promotion of the Service as a whole and assist in the implementation of new technologies and techniques as appropriate
To be conversant with modern trends in clinical, scientific and technical photography and illustrative procedures and to keep abreast of technological development within the photographic field.
Undertake day-to-day management of stock levels.
To utilise administrative and relevant image database systems, ensuring accurate data input and controlling access to the information in line with the Data Protection Act /GDPR, and contribute to the auditing of these records.
Ensure the cost-effective use of all UHB resources.
To be responsible for planning own workload making short term adjustments in order to prioritise requests.
Maintain membership of the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) voluntary register.
Supervision and Training
Act as Team Leader in the absence of the Senior Photographer / Team Leader, making day-to-day operational decisions in conjunction with the Head of Photography and Video and other Senior Clinical Photographers.
To assist in the on-job training of Trainee Clinical Photographers undertaking the Health Education and Improvement Wales (HEIW), Clinical Photography Training Programme.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Possess a degree in photography or related media subject that has a focus on photography or equivalent experience. Hold or be undertaking a qualification that will allow voluntary registration as a Medical Illustrator with the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS).
- Hold a post-graduate qualification in Clinical Photography / Medical Illustration. A member of the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) voluntary register.
- Demonstrate evidence of a wide range of experience in clinical photography to a consistently high standard. Demonstrate experience of digital photography. Show a good level of computer literacy, particularly with digital imaging software.
- Demonstrate excellent digital photography skills.
- Demonstrate patient management skills, to interact with a wide diversity of people.
- Department: Clinical Board: DESIRABLE Hold a post-graduate qualification in Clinical Photography / Medical Illustration. A member of the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) voluntary register. Experience in coaching and training junior Clinical Photographers.
- Video and audio capture and/or production skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of clinical photography practice in a range of clinical environments.
- Demonstrate knowledge of clinical photography practice in a range of clinical environments.
- Demonstrate creativity in the interpretation of client's briefs, both clinical and non-clinical.
- Knowledge of consent, confidentiality copyright, Mental Capacity Act, Data Protection and GDPR and other relevant legislation in relation to clinical photography practice.
- Understanding of equality and diversity issues and how this affects patients, visitors and staff.
- Demonstrate some knowledge and understanding of current trends in the NHS & clinical photography profession.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and effective organisational skills.
- Demonstrate ability to prioritise and time manage work.
- Demonstrate ability to work under own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Ability to interact with a wide diversity of people.
- Membership with the professional body for clinical photographers, the Institute of Medical Illustrators.
- Active pursuit of personal and professional expertise through Continuing Professional Development.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to travel in a timely manner carrying photographic/video equipment to other sites where services are required..
Cardiff and Vale University Health BoardAddress
University Hospital of Wales
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.