Main duties of the job
- To provide Hepatology nursing advice to patients, relatives, colleagues of all grades and disciplines.
- To provide enhanced continuity and a high standard of care for all patients requiring liver services within the Trust.
- The post holder will ensure the Hepatology nursing team contributes significantly to the achievement of corporate objectives and values, monitors effective governance arrangements are implemented and maintained
- Support compliance with NICE/CQC guidelines where relevant to nursing practice, co-ordinate, and lead audit of clinical practice
- Review the liver patients admitted to Wexham Park Hospital
- Undertake liver outpatient clinics
- Participate (after relevant training) in provision of day case abdominal paracentesis services
- Establish outpatient liver disease helpline
- Take a lead in improving/establishing liver disease local pathways/guidelines
- Provide fibroscan clinics (after relevant training)
- Keep/establish a database of local liver patients
- Undertake/help in liver disease local/regional/national audits/research projects
- Present relevant data in local/regional meetings
- Work with the consultants and clinical team to improve the clinical care for the liver disease patient.
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust provides NHS hospital servicesforaround 900,000 people across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.
As well as delivering excellent general hospital services to local people, we provide specialist heart attack, vascular, stroke, spinal, cystic fibrosis and plastic surgery services across a much wider area.
We have three main hospitals - Frimley Park in Frimley near Camberley, Heatherwood in Ascot and Wexham Park near Slough.
Our threecore values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other,Committed to Excellence,WorkingTogether and Facing the Future.
We are also proud to host the Defence Medical Group South East at Frimley Park with military surgical, medical and nursing personnelworkingalongside the hospital's NHS staff providing care to patients in all specialties.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- The post holder alongside the Consultant team will develop a liver service at Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospital and assisting with the repatriation of the work to the locality.
- In conjunction with the Lead clinician facilitate a continuum of care which includes relevant professionals within the Trust for the management of patients with liver disease.
- The post holder will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and enhancing professional standards of care of the highest order across the whole spectrum of Hepatology services. This will involve establishing partnerships and a common purpose with various agencies and disciplines both within and outside the Trust, locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Lead the Hepatology nursing service, auditing the service to ensure improved outcomes for patients are achieved.
- The post holder will work with the Consultants and practice development to deliver nurse education, which meets the needs of patients with Liver Disease across the Trust.
- Managing patients in Liver surveillance pathways including those waiting for Ultrasounds.
- First level registered nurse 5 years post registration experience in Hepatology
- BSc Degree. Or equivalent previous experience
- Managerial qualification Counselling skills qualification Master's degree
- Exceptional ability to communicate with patients of varied background and ethnicity and to facilitate acquisition of knowledge by them and their families
- Knowledge/interpretation of Liver blood tests, imaging and pathology
- Critical thinker
- Understanding the requirements for surveillance in chronic liver disease
- Familiarity with National Strategic developments in liver diseases and knowledge of relevant guidelines e.g., issued by the British Society of Gastroenterology and the British Association for the study of Liver disease
- Understanding of the interrelationships between primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary services for Liver diseases
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative
- Ability to lead and motivate
- Demonstrate inspirational leadership
- Capable of presenting information to a wide audience including the media
- IT and presentation skills
- Experience of Audit Competence in IT and use of database and spreadsheets
- Experience of ascitic taps & large volume paracentesis
- Experience of performing fibroscans & training others in performing fibroscans
- Knowledge and familiarity with research methodology
- Experience of research in the work setting
- Knowledge of how to apply research to clinical practice
- Experience of audit/data collection
- Articulate, assertive, flexible, approachable, co-ordinator and team player
- The ability to act as a role mode
- Works well under pressure
- Interfaces well with other staff, patients and the public Promotes, monitors and maintains best practice in health, safety and security
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of writing patient information, writing papers and preparing posters
- Undertaken research in the relevant clinical field
- Undertaken public speaking in the relevant field
Frimley Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Wexham Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.