An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, motivated and committed midwife with strong clinical leadership and facilitation skills has arisen. The successful applicant will work 37.5 hours per week within our Specialist Substance Misuse Services overseeing the provision of services for women and families requiring complex care, in collaboration with Blackburn with Darwen (BwD).
The Specialist Substance Misuse Midwife will take responsibility for the ongoing development and provision of bespoke care planning for women and families accessing this specialist support whilst working closely with the local drugs services within Blackburn with Darwen, other specialist services, and all members of the wider multidisciplinary team to ensure that care provided to women and their babies is both safe and effective.Main duties of the job
To ensure the safe, efficient and effective provision of Substance Misuse services for women accessing maternity services in line with the strategic vision, Trust policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will play a lead role in the setting, implementing and monitoring of clinical standards pertinent to substance Misuse, and provide clinical expertise, professional direction and leadership to midwives and support workers in the wider maternity service.
Manage, along with local drugs services and consultants, patients with complex pregnancy, and develop and maintain a close working relationship with the whole multidisciplinary team to ensure adequate and robust care planning, and follow up care for women affected by substance misuse.
The lead will take ownership for the daily delivery of care relating to substance misuse within the specified geographical area, whilst liaising with their specialist colleague who supports the East Lancashire area.
The role will also require the lead midwife to liaise between maternity teams, neonatology teams, ward areas, laboratory services, children's social care, local drugs services and other providers to assist in the planning of high-risk pregnancies and care of babies identified during the antenatal period as being exposed to various substances, to ensure a smooth-running seamless service.About us
Thank you for considering East Lancashire Hospital NHS Trust as your choice of employer. The aim of East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust is to provide safe, personal and effective care for patients who access our services. Within East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, we are proud of our forward-thinking maternity service, which provides care in over 6000 births per year, with four different birth locations and the provision of services across the East Lancashire footprint. We are currently in progress with a variety of ongoing exciting quality improvement projects in line with the Maternity Transformation Programme.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post is a band 7 permanent position for 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday. The detailed job description is attached.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered Midwife having had experience at a band 6 or above
- Post Graduate education or the equivalent experience to this level.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Evidence of specialist knowledge and training pertinent to the role
- Demonstrates skills in Midwifery leadership
- Experience of developing services as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience of working in a multi-agency setting
- Experience of managing change
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills
Knowledge and SkillsEssential
- Experience of working with women in high-risk pregnancy
- Experience of promoting and developing healthy lifestyles
- Evidence of knowledge around the priority areas of the Substance Misuse and the local Drugs Services.
- Evidence of implementation of innovation, service change and development
- Experience of public speaking
- Experience of quality improvement methodology
- Commitment to the role of Substance Misuse Lead Midwife
- Knowledge of the National Public Health Agenda and the priority areas pertinent to maternity services
- Ability to provide comprehensive information around maintaining healthy lifestyles
- Ability to provide comprehensive information on the prevention of morbidity and mortality
- Working knowledge and experience of safeguarding children and adults
- Gathering, analysing, interpreting complex information and ability to present, verbally and in written formats to a varied audience
- Ability to lead, influence and motivate others
- Ability to manage conflict constructively
- Ability to lead and motivate a team
- Understanding the distinctive contribution of other agencies
- Effective management of resources
- Organisational skills, including ability to prioritize workload
- An understanding of IT systems
- Understanding of the local area and issues
- Commitment to the role of Substance Misuse Lead Midwife. Knowledge of the National Public Health Agenda and the priority areas pertinent to maternity services Ability to provide comprehensive information around maintaining healthy lifestyles. Ability to provide comprehensive information on the prevention of morbidity and mortality. Working knowledge and experience of safeguarding children and adults. Gathering, analysing, interpreting complex information and ability to present, verbally and in written formats to a varied audience. Ability to lead, influence and motivate others. Ability to manage conflict constructively. Ability to lead and motivate a team. Understanding the distinctive contribution of other agencies Effective management of resources Organisational skills, including ability to prioritize workload. An understanding of IT systems. Understanding of the local area and issues. Working knowledge of governance framework and risk management processes
- Presentation and teaching skills and experience
- Experience in guideline development and implementation
- Experience of conducting and reporting audit. Ability to write, articulate, analyse, and present data, results, and reports
OtherEssential Employer detailsEmployer name
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with multidisciplinary agencies
- Positive attitude to change and inspires confidence
- Acts as a role model incorporating Trust values
- Highly motivated and able to motivate others
- Able to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary setting
- Able to motivate others through change and negotiate new ways of working across organisational boundaries
- Evidence of well-developed leadership and transformational skills
- Emotional resilience
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Lancashire Women and New Born Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.