As a Deputy Ward Manager/Charge Nurse on Blossom ward, you will be a role model, leader and clinical lead on the ward. A Deputy Ward Manager is an exciting role where you will take more leadership responsibilities and develop your clinical leadership, while maintaining your hands-on nursing responsibilities.
Blossom ward is a busy and dynamic 10-bedded female Medium Secure and Forensic ward. We often have to consider a complex picture for our service users of victims of significant trauma and abuse, but also perpetrators of violence.
We explore through a multi-disciplinary approach including psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists how best to support our service users. We use different professionals' expertise to analyse the needs of our service users which could include exploring the trauma, minimisation of risk, coping strategies, positive behaviour plans etc.
We're aware that nationally there is a current shortage of Registered Mental Health Nurses, which is why we want you to choose us. Because of this we have introduced the
- A position within a Trust rated as 'Outstanding' for caring and 'Good' overall by the CQC, where 82% agree that care for patients is our top priority.
Main duties of the job
- Excellent supervision programmes, with ongoing opportunities for training and development
- Access to full psychological support via our internal wellbeing team
Blossom is a dynamic work place and therefore requires dynamic nurses to manage an ever-changing environment. As a Deputy Ward Manager, your main responsibilities would be to:
- Uphold the core values of the ward promoting openness, transparency and learning
- Supervise junior staff
- Enthusiastically mentor new staff, newly qualified nurses and junior staff
- Oversee certain areas of clinical expertise such as medication management and physical health provision on the ward
- Support the Ward Manager with HR tasks such as return to works and sickness monitoring
- Accurate and timely clinical documentation
- Manage shifts as a nurse in charge
- Conducting thorough assessments of risks and risk management plans to support incidents on the war
The emphasis of this role is about promoting clinical expertise through role modelling and teaching, whilst being a key member of the ward leadership team.About us
Forensic mental health is a unique and fascinating field which provides both challenge and opportunity. Being curious, creative, self-aware and assertive are important skills that you will build on, as you are often required to think 'outside the box'.
We play a crucial part in supporting and advocating service users towards recovery, while maintaining the legal requirements within the MHA and of public protection.
At Hellingly, you will be working with service users who have committed criminal offences but have often also been victims themselves. Service users regularly experience stigma for both mental health and offending history, so our role is to develop trusting and safe relationships which balance being collaborative and supportive with sound risk management skills. No two days are the same while we have structure and set boundaries, there is always a need to be able to adapt to what is a dynamic ward environment.
This post offers an incentive or relocation package up to the maximum of �4000 (pro rata applies and subject to terms and conditions).
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Access to a host of discount schemes including reductions on fuel, high street and online purchases, as well as Blue Light Card advantages!
- A position within a Trust that offers flexible working
- Generous holiday entitlement (starting at 27 days + 8 bank holidays)
- Excellent NHS Pension
- Discounted gym memberships
- Free parking on-site
To be a successful Deputy Ward Manager on Blossom Ward you will be:
- A qualified Mental Health nurse, registered on the NMC (we encourage student nurses who are due to qualify to apply and interview with us)
- Passionate about improving the lives of individuals who are being held within the criminal justice system
- Understanding that this is a challenging but hugely rewarding work setting
It would also be advantageous if you:
- Have experience working in a management or leadership role
The Forensic Healthcare Service supports nurses to undertake both academic and professional development opportunities including nurse prescribing, advanced clinical practice and multi-professional responsible clinicians. We are keen to offer staff the support to progress through a clinical career pathway and have nurses undertaking MSc programs and degree modules.
Hellingly Centre is a member of Quality Network for Forensic Mental Health Services. QNFMHS benchmarks via peer reviews, creating opportunities for qualified staff to become certified peer reviewers for nationwide forensic services.
We are looking for an individual who is resilient, driven and passionate to provide high quality nursing care to our patients, whist supporting the leadership on Blossom ward.
You will be required to work a mixture of shifts including Long Days (07:00 19:30) and Nights (19:00 07:30).
See attached Job Description and Person Specification for full details.
Please apply using the link in this advert, or for more information explore the attachments or contact:
Loraine Hamilton Loraine.email@example.com 01323 444180Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Professional qualification
- Diploma in Mental Health Nursing
- Registered Nurse with current registration (mental health / LD/ Adult) appropriate to the job role
- Completion of Mentorship Course/ENB equivalent
- Evidence of continuous professional development
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Significant post qualifying experience relevant to the care group
- Experience of working alongside people with severe mental health problems particularly in their acute phase of illness
- Experience of supervising staff
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of conducting clinical assessments including risk assessments
- Experience of partnership working within and across various statutory and non statutory teams and agencies
- Experience of working within the CPA process
- Understanding of clinical governance
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.