Are you passionate about Occupational Therapy and the amazing role we play in Older People and Frailty Services? Do you see yourself in a rewarding clinical leadership role inspiring other OTs in their clinical practice, shaping services for patients, whilst being supported with postgraduate study and further training?
Our service is on the search for an inspirational clinical leader. This will be suitable for an experienced Band 7 looking for a rewarding promotion or alternatively an existing Band 8A who wants to expand their clinical portfolio.
The post holder will be predominantly based at Worcestershire Royal Hospital, however there will be the requirement to cover across other Trust sites.
You will oversee the Geriatric Emergency Medicine Service (GEMS), which includes Urgent Care, Frailty wards and supporting OTs completing community outreach visits. We recognise that potential candidates may not be experienced in all clinical areas, however we want a clinical leader highly experienced and confident in their OT practice in Older People Medicine, that will transfer their skills and knowledge!
You will be part of an expanding senior leadership group, come at an exciting time as we have launched our first ever clinical practice strategy and will work with and develop dedicated Occupational Therapy staff.
The post will require you to work Bank Holidays on a rota basis and seven day working in the future. We also encourage flexible working.Main duties of the job
The aim of the role is to provide advanced clinical leadership to the GEMS in-patient team that work across Worcestershire Royal Hospital and develop a strong interface with the OTs at Alexandra Hospital who see older frail patients.
We want you to offer new and fresh leadership and work with the OT services Manager to set a new direction for OT in this service in line with Trust initiatives
The post is responsible for the delivery of OT within the Urgent Care foot print, frailty wards and community out-reach.
Clinically the post holder will support and manage this Occupational Therapy team to enable them to deliver diagnostic and clinical care to older adult patients with various complex presentations and long-term conditions, providing expert advice on any complex clinical issues.
To be the Occupational Therapy services expert clinician for Frailty countywide in-patient services.
To be responsible for the day to day operational managerial, clinical and professional delivery of the Occupational Therapy service and will lead on the development of the Frailty Service in line with service and Trust objectives.
Is responsible for local governance ensuring that incident reporting, risk and complaints are managed within the Trust clinical governance framework.
Oversees and ensures the organisation and delivery of training, audit and quality assurance within Frailty team.
Facilitates service developments and improvements within Frailty, in line with site and Trust objectives.About us
Our purpose is simple - Putting Patients First. We are looking for exceptional colleagues who can help us achieve this.
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust is a large acute and specialised hospital trust that provides a range of local acute services to the residents of Worcestershire and more specialised services to a larger population in Herefordshire and beyond.
The Trust operates hospital-based services from three sites in Kidderminster, Redditch and Worcester
Our workforce is nearly 6,800 strong, and our caring staff are recognised as providing good and outstanding patient-centred care. You could be one of them.
We are committed to recruiting the best people to work with us to achieve our Vision - working in partnership to provide the best healthcare for our communities, leading and supporting our teams to move 4ward. Our 4ward behaviours, which we ask all staff to demonstrate, underpin our everyday work and remain firmly at the heart of all we do.
Our objectives are simple:
- Best services for local people
- Best experience of care and best outcomes for our patients
- Best use of resources
- Best people
Better never stops, and our Clinical Services Strategy provides a clear future vision for our Trust, our hospitals, our services and our role in the wider health and care system.We are proud to have achieved Timewise accreditation - this means we are committed to embedding flexible working within our organisation as a flex positive employer.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesCLINICAL
- To carry out specialised assessments as an autonomous practitioner, including those with highly complex presentations and to use clinical reasoning skills, knowledge of evidence based practice and advanced expertise to determine appropriate treatment plans utilising specialist treatment skills and options.
- To provide highly specialist assessment and advice to selected patients to ensure patients are fully aware of their therapy implications and therefore facilitate their ability to give informed consent and to enhance compliance with their therapy programme.
- To be highly competent in assessing and treating a wide range of conditions based on advanced theoretical knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology, often in situations where conflicting evidence is present.
- To interpret and analyse the relevant clinical and non-clinical facts found to formulate accurate diagnoses and prognoses for individual patients.
- To use investigative, analytical and advanced clinical reasoning skills, together with evidence based practice and advanced expertise to determine appropriate treatment plans. This may be for individual patients, or for the development of treatment protocols or guidelines.
- To be responsible for own and other Occupational Therapy treatment plans and to be consulted frequently for expert advice and guidance by junior and senior team members to provide a seamless service.
- To provide highly specialist advice, as the most senior therapist within the trust in designated clinical area, to other clinicians both within and outside this trust, to others who seek advice and to those of whom we refer patients externally.
SERVICE DEVELOPMENT AND DELIVERY
- To act as a clinical lead for the GEMS teams and be responsible for the daily organisation,Strategic vision and future development of the team.
- To have the ability to deputise for senior management staff at an operational, strategic and team leadership level and make decisions on behalf of the department at these meetings.
- To ensure that risk assessments are identified, carried out, documented and disseminated to team members.
- To be responsible for the recruitment and selection of staff of a variety of clinical abilities and to assist senior management in ensuring innovative recruitment and retention ideas are undertaken within the Trust.
- To work with the Occupational Therapy Manager to identify service development opportunities within own clinical and managerial area.
- To participate in audit and service development in your designated clinical area in order to enhance patients experience and quality of care.
- To maintain an up to date knowledge of current developments within the NHS and Occupational Therapy.
- To be responsible for ensuring that quality standards and effectiveness of patient care are continually improved.
- To propose and carry out policy changes/protocol development that may have an impact on other professions/medical team members working in specialist area.
- To be responsible for developing and changing practice and/or protocols or care, based on evidence, for the GEMS Occupational Therapy teams.
- Significant post registration experience in relevant clinical area
- Post registration experience in a range of areas
- Significant post graduate experience of team management in an NHS healthcare setting at a band 7 level
- Evidence of supervision of both senior and junior staff
- Experience of audit in evaluating and developing a service
- Teaching experience to a broad range of clinicians and students
- Operational management skills
- Evidence of close working with all members of the multidisciplinary team
Knowledge and SkillsEssential
- Evidence of managing and supervising other professions Previous lecturing on external courses
- Participation in research
- Change Management
- Liaising with external stakeholders
- Ability to work as an autonomous practitioner where no support or advice may be available
- Proven clinical skills, ability to accurately assess patients, problem solve, plan their treatment and appropriately set goals and objectives
- Highly specialist knowledge of a range of conditions and treatments relevant to clinical area Evidence of verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and organisational ability to be able to deal with a varied clinical and managerial workload
- Evidence of service development
- Good teaching, supervisory and appraisal skills
- High level problem solving
- Proven organisational skills including prioritisation and delegation
- Ability to work in stressful and unpredictable environments
- Advanced computer skills including use of Microsoft Access and Excel databases
- Excellent presentation skills including use of Microsoft PowerPoint
- Experience of implementing evidence based practice
- Experience of electronic patient records
- To have been involved in bringing about change to a service
- To have experience in leading clinical audit, research or policy/guideline development
- Innovative in approach and outlook
- Ability to recognise own professional limits and seek advice from peers, external contracts or advanced members of the relevant clinical multidisciplinary team such as consultants as required
- To be able to motivate a team and work well within a team setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to motivate self and others
- Committed to continual professional development of self and others
- Ability to build close working relationships internally and with all members of the MDT
- Enthusiastic, innovative and personable
- HCPC Registered Occupational Therapist
- BSc or equivalent in Occupational Therapy
- Evidence of continuous and current professional and academic development including attendance at post-graduate courses relevant to the clinical area
- Membership of a specialist interest group relevant to clinical area
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of ongoing, relevant higher postgraduate education
- MSc in relevant subject/working towards it or working at a Masters level
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.