We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, motivated, dynamic Dental Hygienist who can demonstrate commitment to the provision of high-quality person-centred care.
To provide individually planned clinical care and advice for patients under the care of the Maxillofacial, Orthodontic and Restorative Dentistry Consultants. This service is set within the Acute Hospital setting for dentistry and is therefore service those patients with complex needs. To work as part of a team demonstrating effective communication and working collaboratively with colleagues inside and out of the department.
You will be expected to ensure that patients are treated with courtesy, dignity and respect. To contribute to the achievement of the Trust's local and national targets, by working with clinical teams and must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, have a Patient centred approach to care, be highly motivated and able to work autonomously as well as part of a team.Main duties of the job
- To treat a wide range of high treatment needs patients including Oncology patients, Cleft lip and palate, medically compromised patients and on occasions physically disables patients, those with learning disabilities, mental health problems and anxious patients.
- To provide customised Clinical Care and prevention advice to the individual needs of patients under the direction of the referring Consultant (Restorative Dentistry, Orthodontics and Maxillofacial surgery) or consultants as part of MDT (multi-disciplinary team) management.
- Contribute to the organisation and delivery of multi-disciplinary, patient centred care.
Why Work With Us
The Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontic and Restorative Dentistry departments consists of 6 Consultants and 7 SAS Doctors. These teams are supported by Specialist Dental Nurses, Junior Doctors and a Dental Hygienist.
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust (Torbay Hospital) is a busy, successful and progressive hospital located on the English Riviera, South Devon's beautiful bay which is surrounded by stunning coast and countryside. We are famous for our award-winning beaches and vast countryside waiting for you to explore. The cities of Exeter and Plymouth are also close by with access to all major cities via excellent rail links. Opportunities for outdoor activities both on and off the water abound, with easy access to the neighbouring centres of Plymouth and Exeter.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Implement the latest evidence-based care guidelines from the British Society of Periodontology as prescribed by the Consultant/ Associate Specialist in Restorative Dentistry.
- Demonstrate efficient use of resources and its utilisation.
- Ensure that health and safety standards are met and maintained within the surgery and that hazards are reported to line manager. Report any incidents and complaints to the line manager following SDHCFT policies.
- Ensure that all relevant documentation is completed and processed appropriately e.g. appointment forms.
- Maintain appropriate records, adhering to General Dental Council and Trust guidelines on record keeping.
- Patient progress should be reported to the Consultant responsible for the patients care at regular intervals and advise if there are any clinical issues that need to be explored that may affect patient care.
- Set-up and close-down on the surgery this includes ensuring that working areas are sterilised according to cross infection control standards, all equipment (i.e. hand-pieces) is safe and in full working order, check that all relevant case notes, x-rays and prosthesis are available.
- Ensure instruments, equipment and materials are available for all clinical procedures complying with decontamination and SDHCFT policies.
- Identify shortfalls in supplies of materials stock and ensure order is made.
- Ensure compliance with policies, procedures, protocols, clinical guidelines and codes of conduct determined locally and by others including South Devon Healthcare Foundation Trust, the BDA (including infection control guidelines), the GDC (General Dental Council), COSHH, HASAWA and first aid.
- Undertake training / supervision of nursing staff in oral hygiene instruction in relation to patients.
- Manually handling and lifting and transferring patients from, wheelchair to dental chair or theatre trolley.
- Dental Hygiene Qualification
- GDC Registration
- Minimum of 2 years post grad experience
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Diploma Dental Health Education
- OMFS, Restorative, Orthodontic experience
- Hospital experience
- Complex medical histories and conditions
- IT skills
- Organisational skills
- Continuing education
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in treating patients who have been provided with advanced restorative dentistry prostheses (including implants) and orthodontic appliances.
- LA administration course
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.