An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Financial Accountant to join the Finance team at Wrightington Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
The Financial Accountant will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Control team within Financial Services Department and reporting to the Deputy Head of Financial Services to provide support to the Trust and Charity on all aspects of financial accounting, including developing and maintaining financial processes and control systems.Main duties of the job
A thorough understanding of the Statement of Financial Position (balance sheet) reconciliation process will be needed to ensure the risk of loss to the Trust is minimised. The Financial Accountant is responsible for monitoring and reviewing all aspects of the Trust's Statement of Financial Position and manage the reconciliation of all control accounts and implementing actions to maintain effective financial control and reporting.
Assisting in managing the production of the Trust's and charity's statutory financial accounts to comply with Financial Reporting Standards, IFRS, SORP, Department of Health and Social care, and NHS England and GM ICS guidance, working autonomously to interpret and analyse the results as necessary, and the compilation of other key financial returns.About us
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust are the proud providers of acute hospital and community services to the people of the Wigan Borough and surrounding areas. At WWL, we value our staff believing that 'happy staff, makes for happy patients'. We have a recognised track record in staff engagement, and living our values 'the WWL Way'.
WWL are committed to placing the patient at the heart of everything we do, and in the provision of safe, effective care that acknowledges and ensures dignity. With this in mind we are seeking to recruit people who share our values and beliefs.
Please note that senior positions (AFC band 8A or above) may be expected to participate in an on-call rota, if the role is predominantly operational.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Managing the financial control team and be responsible for the delivery of the team's duties an tasks required for month end and year end deadlines.
Technical accounting and supporting the implementation of new accounting standards.
Assisting the production of the Trust's and Charity's statutory accounts.
Managing SOFP control account reconciliations and investigating variances.
Monitoring compliance with SFIs and other financial procedure notes.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Qualified accountant (CCAB/CIMA or equivalent).
- Experience in a finance environment and/or extensive financial accounts equivalent experience
- Part Qualified accountant (CCAB/CIMA or equivalent) and actively studying towards professional qualification
- Direct experience in the annual accounts process
- Management experience in a corporate finance / financial accounting environment
- Experience of SOFP (balance sheet) and control account reconciliation
- experience of operating, recording, and implementing/improving financial systems and processes.
- Experience of NHS Finance, including Agreement of Balances
- Experienced in using Oracle systems.
- Experience in using Harlequin financial system (Charity).
- Ability to meet targets and deadlines through. oPlanning, oMultitasking, oprioritising competing demands and switching objectives/tasks.
- In-depth knowledge of financial systems, best practice and financial procedures
- In-depth knowledge of accounting and financial reporting - concepts and principles.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of NHS Finance (sector specific), including the NHS VAT regime
Wrightington Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Brick Kiln Lane
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.