We have an exciting opportunity to join the Employee Relations Team at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, helping to deliver high quality ER support across the Trust. This is a fantastic development opportunity for a HR professional who is seeking to increase their Employee Relations knowledge and skills.
The Employee Relations Advisor will be responsible for supporting with the management of an Employee Relations case load with guidance and support provided by senior colleagues.
You will support managers and employees to reduce sickness absence through active management of both short and long-term sickness absence.
As part of your development, you will be expected and supported to manage a small, low-level, general case load including disciplinary, grievance and performance improvement cases and supporting the development of a Just Culture to improve staff experience. In addition, you will be supporting the People & OD Business partners in their management of employee relations case work.Main duties of the job
- As the ER Advisor you will be a point of contact for queries in the team, providing a timely and comprehensive service through either face-to-face contact, or email based system.
- You will support with the administration of cases such as notetaking, arranging hearings, as well as supporting with the Trust's response to Subject Access Requests (SARs) and Freedom of Information requests (FOIs).
- You will be responsible for advising managers and ensuring that consistent and comprehensive advice is given across the Trust on agreed policies and procedures and terms and conditions.
- You will deliver timely and specialist advice, guidance, and interpretation to managers, and employees, on procedure, terms and conditions of service and best practice regarding both short and long terms sickness absence, having particular knowledge of the Trust's responsibilities around the Equality Act 2010 and Public Sector Equality Duty.
- You will Interpret NHS / Trust policies, practice, terms and conditions, and employment law in supporting a resolution that mitigates risk.
South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) provide the widest range of NHS mental health services in the UK as well as substance misuse services for people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol.
SLaM employ around 5000 staff and serve a local population of 1.1 million people. We have more than 230 services including inpatient wards, outpatient and community services. Currently, provide inpatient care for approximately 5,300 people each year and treat more than 45,000 patients in the community in Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark as well as substance misuse services for residents of Bexley, Bromley and Greenwich. By coming to work at SLaM, you will gain experience of being part of an organisation with a rich history and international reputation in mental health care. You will have access to professional development and learning opportunities, and have the chance to work alongside people who are world leaders in their field.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Provide timely and high-quality advice on all terms and conditions of employment across the Trust, seeking support from senior Employee Relations colleagues for more complex queries
- Be responsible for coaching managers in the management of both short term and long term sickness absence management
- Work proactively with other colleagues across the People & OD Directorate and attend meetings as necessary to advise and be part of the wider team.
- Contribute and support the development of a Just and Learning Culture across the Trust, with a focus on early and informal resolution of issues.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent relevant experience
- Qualified to level 5 CIPD or equivalent relevant experience
- Willingness to undertake a Level 7 CIPD qualification
- Agenda for Change job matching and evaluation training
- Previous experience of working in a People & OD environment
- Experience of working within an employee relations setting
- Experience of working within an administrative role
- Working within a team providing a high quality and timely service to customers
Knowledge / SkillsEssential
- Experience of working in the NHS
- Experience of leading on the management of sickness absence
- Experience of working in a unionised environment
- Experience of interpreting policies and providing accurate advice and guidance to all stakeholders
- Able to understand situations quickly
- Able to instil confidence in those being advised
- Confidence in giving advice that is best for the Trust, not just the audience
- Ability to influence and professionally guide approach
- Ability to professionally challenge as appropriate
- Production of accurate basic statistics
- Working with and managing confidential data and sensitive information
- Experience of initiating/planning own workload
- Self-motivator with high standards for self and others
- Excellence in customer service delivery
- Achievement and solution orientated
- Knowledge and confidence in the interpretation, and application of, The Equality Act 2010, in the management of sickness absence cases.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of management information reporting and data visualisation
- Knowledge and confidence in the interpretation, and application of, employment law relevant to ER case management
- Experience of note taking
- Experience of information collation and presentation
South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Maudsley Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 8AZ
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.