Do you have experience of managing capital projects in the NHS?
Would you like to be part of a Trust that value, recognise and celebrate staff members? Who work as a team to provide a high level of service? If yes, Oxford University Hospitals is the place for you.
We have a vacancy for a full-time Project Manager in the Capital Development team. The post-holder will be required to lead a team to successfully develop and manage the Capital Programme for OUH.
A construction professional, degree qualified in a construction related disciple, post graduate diploma/ masters of specialist knowledge through equivalent experience.Main duties of the job
The Project Manager is responsible for the delivery to time, budget, and quality of delegated capital and revenue projects (projects), including project and programme management, cost and contract management, procurement management quality management, health & safety, and risk management in support of the Trust objectives. The projects will predominantly but not exclusively be located on the Trust hospital sites (John Radcliffe, Churchill, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, and Horton Hospital), for example, the Trust may also deliver projects with other partners, on other hospital sites and within the community.
Working within an acute hospital environment, the Project Manager will be responsible for the planning, monitoring and control of all aspects of one or more high value (up to �20 million) and complex capital and revenue projects.
The Project Manager will use technical knowledge and experience to resolve project issues to ensure the successful delivery to the specified programme, cost, and quality standards.
The Project Manager will deputise for the Senior Project Manager, as necessary. In addition, the post holder will provide line management for one or more Assistant Project Managers and management of external appointed design and technical consultants.About usOxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
is one of the largest NHS teaching trusts in the country. It provides a wide range of general and specialist clinical services and is a base for medical education, training and research.
The Trust comprises four hospitals - the John Radcliffe Hospital, Churchill Hospital and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Headington and the Horton General Hospital in Banbury.
Our values, standards and behaviours define the quality of clinical care we offer and the professional relationships we make with our patients, colleagues and the wider community. We call thisDelivering Compassionate Excellenceand its focus is on our values of compassion, respect, learning, delivery, improvement and excellence.
These values put patients at the heart of what we do and underpin the quality healthcare we would like for ourselves or a member of our family. Watch how we set out to deliver compassionate excellence via theOUH YouTube channel.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To support and guide the Senior Project Manager in the management of projects within the estate and to provide the most practical and economic solutions for design, procurement, construction, management, commissioning, and maintenance of the development. Ensure that the Senior Project Manager has the right information and knowledge at the right time to exercise authority properly.
- Lead and be responsible for one or more projects (up to �20million in value), including refurbishments, redevelopment, and new builds, in accordance with the Trusts project management policies, procedures and processes.
- Establish and manage an effective project team to include user representatives.
- Develop a Project Initiation Document and detailed project plans to ensure delivery of the project to agreed budget, programme, scope, and quality standards, taking account of interdependencies between projects. Monitor and update the plans on a regular basis.
- Manage and ensure the successful delivery of the projects within an acute hospital environment, managing conflicting demands, whilst minimising any potential disruption or disturbance to patients, staff, or other visitors.
- Ensure that all aspects of the projects are managed based on best practice, promoting sustainability, and working towards enhancing patient care and experience.
- Responsible for ensuring the correct surveys are carried out, for example structural and asbestos surveys.
- Produce regular reports using the Trusts IT systems including project management software.
- Report monthly (including Highlight Report, Exception Report, cash flow and forecast outturn Capital Spread sheet, Risk Log etc) as required by Capital Management Group and provide other updates as required by the Senior Project Manager, Programme Manager or Deputy Director of Capital Development.
- Report on progress to the Project Sponsor, Project Group, Capital Management Group, and other senior managers monthly and as required.
Scheduling / Programme
- Develop, monitor and keep up to date an overall programme / schedule for the project to ensure that the project is delivered to the agreed timescale, taking account of any dependencies, and checking for any changes to the critical path.
Scope and Change Control
- Establish and implement robust project monitoring and change control systems, ensuring that all proposed changes are logged, and decisions recorded.
Business case and design development
- Work with the Capital Development team and support the Senior Project Manager and clinical/operational service in developing the project from Strategic Outline Case business case stage to Outline Business Case and Full Business Case stage, including undertaking options appraisals and feasibility studies for preferred options.
- Degree qualified in a construction related disciple, post graduate diploma/ masters of specialist knowledge through equivalent experience.
- Advanced specialist knowledge through experience of project management, programme management, cost management, procurement management, quality management and H& S & risk management.
- Membership of a chartered institute in the construction industry (e.g., CIOB, RICS, CIBSE, ICE).
- Evidence of recent Continuing Professional Development.
- APM Project Management, Project Professional or Practitioner Qualification (PPQ or PQ) or RICS Construction Project Manager / Surveyor.
- Leadership and management qualification (e.g., CMI Level 5).
- Qualified in a recognised H& S qualification
- Significant experience of successful project management of high value (up to �20m) and complex construction projects
- Experience and knowledge of the whole design and construction process
- Proven project management experience
- Experience and knowledge of Construction Contracts
- Experience of one or more construction professional duties
- Experience of quickly analysing situations/issues and taking decisive action when dealing with project emergencies.
- Experience of planning and organising a broad range of multi-stranded and complex projects, plans and strategies, formulating and adjusting as required
- Experience of engaging with internal and external stakeholders, service providers and business partners.
- Experience of working effectively under pressure demonstrating the need to react to situations.
Knowledge, skills and abilitiesEssential
- Working with NHS capital procurement to include equipping and commissioning.
- Previous NHS and/ or healthcare sector experience (preferably in an acute hospital), an understanding of NHS Estates Terminology/ procedures
- Knowledge of both JCT and NEC forms of contract.
- Knowledge and experience of construction law
- Good knowledge of healthcare guidance, HTMs, HBNs and others industry specific guidance. To include in depth knowledge and understanding of the requirements of clinical and non-clinical hospital departments and sound working knowledge of infection prevention and control as related to healthcare building design.
- Ability to understand, interpret, advise on, and implement published guidance and mandatory requirements with regards to healthcare buildings.
- Effective analytical skills, able to review and interpret highly complex and sometimes conflicting information and data and translate into reports, scenarios, schedules of accommodation and specifications, presenting options and recommendations.
- Effective communication and presentation skills (both verbally and non-verbally), dealing with highly complex, sensitive, or contentious information communicated to a wide range of individuals and groups at all levels internally and externally
- Negotiation, persuasion, and motivational skills, able to gain co-operation at all levels. To include an ability to calmly resolve sensitive issues in a professional manner
- Computer literate with advanced keyboard skills and experienced in the use of Microsoft and other software packages for data analysis and report-writing
- An ability to plan and think strategically
- An ability to identify and understand risks to a project(s)
- An ability to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to maintain a database of healthcare building design information
- Personal drive to work efficiently with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to train and teach others, facilitate development sessions and act as workplace mentor.
- Ability to lead at meetings e.g., Design Teams and User Groups and chair where necessary.
- Ability to work as effectively alone under one's own initiate and as a team member.
- Adaptable and imaginative.
- Innovative and enthusiastic.
- Be able to work at height
Employer detailsEmployer name
- A good understanding of the current and changing NHS environment
- Microsoft project specifically or other project management tools.
- Knowledge and experience of ADB software.
- Knowledge and experience of developing schedules of accommodation
- Development and writing of business cases
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
John Radcliffe Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.