The General Intensive Care Unit at the Bristol Royal Infirmary, University Hospitals Bristol & Weston NHS Foundation Trust have multiple exciting opportunities, due to the expansion of ourCritical Care services. We are seeking highly motivated individuals, for a Band 7 Sister/Charge Nurse role.
With a brand-new build, and expansion of the critical care footprint, there is no better time to join UHBW. We are commissioned for the Bristol ECMO service, covering the South-West region in conjunction with North Bristol Trust, as well as having an established Outreach and Research team.
Thesuccessful applicant must have extensive experience of current intensive care practice, in conjunction with a strong background of clinical governance.You will join our team of Band 7 Sister/Charge nurses who co-ordinate daily operation of the General Intensive Care/High dependency unit. We provide high-quality care for a diverse group of patients of multiple specialisms, from across the region. We are a tertiary referral centre for many specialities such as Thoracic's, ENT, GI surgery, oncology, cardiac and ECMO. This incorporates emergencies, planned elective care and long-term rehabilitation for critically unwell patients.Main duties of the job
You will lead the team acting as a clinical expert, role model and problem solver. As a Sister/Charge Nurse you will be responsible for the day-to-day unit operation, supporting junior staff, co-ordinating staffing and bed requirements of the shift whilst liaising with many members of the MDT, and allied services.
The unit has a large multi-disciplinary team including medical staff, therapists, dietitians, pharmacists, speech and language therapists, research and SNOD's, who all play their role in providing excellent patient care. We have a shared culture of inclusivity within our unit.
Supported by the matron and employee services, youwill supervise a team of staff to manage absence, appraisals, development and performance. As a unit we are committed to development and opportunities for all of our staff which is supported by our innovative practice education team.
As well as allocated management time, the post-holder will be expected to work a range of clinical shifts including days, nights and weekends (Day shifts: 07.00 to 19.30, Night shifts 19.00 to 07.30) as we provide senior support for a 24/7 service.About us
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a more detailed job description and main responsibilities, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationKnowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Thorough and up to date knowledge of nursing theory and best practice particularly within speciality area
- Significant relevant clinical and management experience
- Able to lead and manage the nursing team
- Effective standard setting, monitoring and feedback
- Understanding of the principles and application of effective budgetary management
- Understanding of the principles and application of effective staff and HR management/appraisals
- Understanding the theory and application of clinical governance
- Understanding of NMC Code of Practice and requirements of it for practice and behaviour and its application to the management of staff and self
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Undertaken nursing research
- Experience and knowledge of advanced practice/protocols
Public Sector Language CompetencyEssential
- Highly effective communication skills - verbally and written to staff, patients and relatives including in situations of conflict or distress
- Able to gain credibility with and influence colleagues including influencing clinical changes where appropriate
- Strong organisational skills - prioritising complex situations
- The Ability to lead and influence change
- Able to accept responsibility for ward/area working under own initiative within the boundaries of role
- Demonstrates ability to take overall responsibility and accountability
- Flexibility, adaptability to meet needs of a changing service
- Demonstrates ability to implement and utilise audit data to improve quality
- Clinical expert in defined area of work
- Able to advise on and implement improvements to the quality and efficiency of care for patients in ward/area
- Ability to act as facilitator, mentor and supervisor to colleagues
- Familiar with current local and national nursing issues
- Information technology skills
- Commitment to the development and provision of high quality nursing care
Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Be able to speak fluent English to an appropriate standard
- RGN. 1st Level or relevant children's qualification
- Current NMC Registration
- 1st Degree in nursing or health related topic or willingness to work towards
- Qualification in Teaching, Assessing and Mentoring
- Evidence of Masters level academic study or willingness to work towards Masters (in relevant health related subject)
- Management qualification
- Non -Medical Prescribing
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Relevant post registration qualification at level 3
- Management qualification
- Non -Medical Prescribing
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
Bristol Royal Infirmary
Upper Maudlin St.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.