This is an exciting time to join us in Cancer Services at Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust. Based on feedback from people who work with us and those we care for, in 2023 we will launch our new Cancer Strategy. A supported, diverse and clinically enabled workforce will be central to our main objectives. We are investing in our people and we value strong front-line clinical leadership. In cancer services it is vital you are compassionate, committed to high quality care with skills and abilities to contribute to generating and delivering the latest in evidence-based practice.
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced cancer nurse to lead the Lung & Rarer Specialist Nursing Team at Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust. The postholder will support and coordinate specialist nursing care for patients with thoracic cancers and those with rarer cancers which includes brain, head & neck, and thyroid cancers. This care involves holistic needs assessment using the Macmillan My Care Plan system to create electronic care plans. Care begins when a patient has a high suspicion of lung cancer and continues through diagnosis and throughout treatment including advanced care planning. As team leader you will lead a team of specialist nurses and work closely with the tumour site specific clinical leads and the wider multidisciplinary teams.
The post will particularly require a clear record in leadership and management.Main duties of the job
To be team leader for the lung cancer and rarer cancer nursing service based within Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust. The post provides service development, line management and leadership for this specialist nursing team. Individualised care is supported by holistic needs assessment (HNA) and this role plays a vital part in ensuring all those patients who want to participate are offered an HNA around diagnosis and when appropriate at other points of the care pathway.
To offer clinical leadership and practice both as a lung cancer nurse specialist and clinical support and leadership for rarer cancer patients as the team are also key workers for brain tumour patients and thyroid cancer patients. Support is also provided to head and neck cancer patients as follow up and, when possible, at diagnosis. The role requires excellent communication skills and an ability to work efficiently and compassionately with complex patient scenarios and high patient caseloads.
To work closely with a range of clinicians and clinical practitioners in both Primary and Secondary care to establish effective working practices and ensure high standards of care are maintained and all care is evidenced based and in line with nationally agreed standards.About usListen to why colleagues think we are a great place to work! - https://bit.ly/3DNEQfD What does Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust offer you?
Why work for us?
- As part of our BHT family, you'll benefit from learning and development opportunities to support your career progression.
- We offer flexible and agile workingopportunities,alongside your NHS benefits ofgenerous annual leave entitlement, pension andaccess toNHS discount schemes.
- We provide a range of health and wellbeing services to promote a healthy, happy workforce.
What do we stand for?
- We're committed to promoting inclusion and making sure all colleagues feel they belong. We encourage new colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
- As an employer, we aim to create a workplace where differences are valued and colleagues treat one another with dignity and respect.
- Greater diversity within our BHT family improves positive outcomes for the people and communities we serve.
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Our vision is to provide outstanding care, support healthy communities and be a great place to work.
- Our mission is to provide personal and compassionate care every time.
- Our CARE values are collaborate, aspire, respect and enable.
For a comprehensive list of responsibilities and duties, please kindly refer to the Job Description and Person Specification by downloading the JD and PS attachment in the advert.Person SpecificationEDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & TRAININGEssential
- Post Registration Oncology/equivalent qualification
- Cancer and/or palliative care degree
- Working at Masters or equivalent level study
- ENB 998 or equivalent teaching qualification
- RGN -with relevant post registration experience in cancer care
- Experience in managing and leading a team
- Leadership skills & knowledge of leadership requirements in healthcare
SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGEEssential
- Oncology and or palliative care experience - strong experience at a senior level and/or experience at a senior level in respiratory or neuro-oncology care.
- Advanced communication training in a recognised cancer communication model
- IT literate
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and understanding of: NMC guidelines for Nursing
- Knowledge and understanding of: National cancer initiatives and the Long-Term Cancer Plan
- Knowledge and understanding of: Cancer standards related to thoracic cancers & rarer tumours (brain, head & neck, thyroid and sarcoma)
- Knowledge and understanding of: NICE Guidelines for lung cancer, rarer cancers, palliative and supportive care
- TVCA CAG Guidelines relevant to the role
- Trust policies relating to: HR Policies, Recruitment and Retention, Disciplinary Procedures and completion of management course
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Across Trust working as/when required. (car driver essential)
Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.