An opportunity has arisen to join the Ward Based Pharmacy Team at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
We are looking for a highly motivated and committed Registered Pharmacy Technician with excellent communication skills to join our patient-centred Pharmacy team.
Applicants must hold their NVQ level 3 in Pharmacy services or equivalent recognised qualification, and must also be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council UK.
Newly qualified pharmacy technicians will be employed at band 4. A progression plan will be implemented to allow necessary in-house competencies to be achieved. Successful completion alongside visible display of necessary behaviours in line with GPhC standards for pharmacy professionals will allow attainment of band 5 status.
Qualified technicians that wish to apply, but do not fully meet person specification essential criteria, are still encouraged to do so. All candidates will be reviewed before and during the interview process to assess their level of knowledge and experience. Previous experience within a hospital environment is desirable but not essential as full training will be provided.
This is a great opportunity to develop your pharmacy career and make a real difference to the lives of those who need our care.Main duties of the job
Main duties of the job
The role will involve contributing to an accurate and efficient pharmacy service within Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust by participating in and contributing to the ward-based Pharmacy service. This will include medicines reconciliation, availability and suitability of patient's own medicines and participation in the discharge planning process.
To support with clinical audits, data collection and implementation of developments to enhance the needs of the patient.
There will be a requirement to participate in working late shifts and the 7-day working rota to ensure cost effective and efficient services are maintained throughout our patients stay.About us
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is ideally situated just a forty five minute drive from Manchester. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents - it's not just a good place to work it's a great place to live
. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south.
We recommend that all individuals employed in patient facing roles, or those located on a ward or department where patients receive a service should be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You should hold an accredited accuracy checking qualification or be working towards one and have relevant hospital experience. Admission duties
1. To compile a patients drug history by communicating with the patient, carers, GPs and other health professionals, and to ensure all potential discrepancies are referred to the ward Pharmacist in a timely manner.
2. To interpret and apply information retrieved from medical and nursing notes with regards to medicines reconciliation and prescribing issues.
3. To communicate with external organisations as necessary for admission processes (e.g. community pharmacies, GP surgeries). Discharge duties
1. To ensure the timely processing of discharge prescriptions
2. To liaise with patients with regard to medicines for discharge
3. To ensure all discharge documentation is relayed to the appropriate services. Standards
1. Ensure all work is accurate including documentation in patients notes and throughout the dispensing process.
2. To support the department in setting standards through review and updating procedures and auditing against standards in line with the departments audit programme. Please ensure that you have read the attached Job Description and Person Specification before submitting your application.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- NVQ Level 3 Pharmacy services with underpinning knowledge provided by BTEC Certificate in Pharmaceutical Sciences OR Other recognised Pharmacy Technician qualification meeting requirements for registration with GPhC
- Registration with GPhC & evidence of CPD
- Technician Accuracy Checking qualification equivalent to the National Framework
- Clinical Pharmacy experience
- Hospital Pharmacy experience
- Accuracy Checking experience & competency
- Hospital Medicines Management experience
- Understanding of current Pharmacy & NHS issues
- Patient counselling experience
- Writing and performing audits and analysis of associated data
- Experience of using EMIS Pharmacy computer system
- Able to perform medicines reconciliation
- Ability to train staff
- Accurate dispensing and checking skills
- Good communication skills both written & verbal
- Able to write Standard Operating Procedures
- Planning & organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritise service demands & plan workload of self & others to meet deadlines
- Ability to interpret information, make decisions & act accordingly
- Ability to work unsupervised & manage own workload
- Flexible with regard to working hours
- Committed to personal & professional development
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to supervise staff
- Ability to analyse data
- Presentation skills
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals
Whinney Heys Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.