Are you an experienced nurse with a UK Registered PIN number looking to work at an outstanding trust and regional specialist haematology and oncology centre? Would you like to work with a supportive team focused on delivering patient centred care? Would you like family friendly hours and no night or weekend shifts?
The Outpatients department at the Bristol Haematology and Oncology (BHOC) centre has a vacancy for a Band 5 registered nurse, who is passionate about working in Cancer Care. The Outpatient service operates weekdays days (Mon - Fri) from 08:00 to 18:00 with some Bank Holidays. Shifts are allocated to support this service. You will need to have a passion and enthusiasm for oncology and Haematology. The BHOC is the ideal location for you to develop your skills, as the centre has a strong research base along with a large clinical trials team and a commitment to developing and training its nursing staff. At the BHOC we are developing a robust staff wellbeing programme, for the benefit of our staff and patients.Main duties of the job
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care
- Communicate effectively and maintain confidentiality with patient carers and the multi-disciplinary team. Give written and verbal advice/teaching to patients and carers.
- Supervise staff and students in the absence of more senior staff. Act as a role model including mentor for learners and junior staff.
- Provide accurate timely contemporary records of care and treatment in line with UBHT record keeping policy and NMC
- Work within Trust Nursing policies and procedures and professional boundaries undertake all appropriate aspects of Nursing Care required including specific relevant clinical skills gained following appropriate training instruction.
- Promote and maintain a safe environment for patients: Administer medicines in accordance with Trust policy. Promote a clean environment and the prevention of hospital acquired infections.
- Respond positively and act promptly to resolve problems/issues for patients/carers, utilising complaints procedures and PALs where appropriate.
- Assist with the smooth running of the clinical area by carrying out other duties such as unpacking stores, tidying and cleaning up equipment.
- Work with senior nurses to develop management skills.
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a more detailed job description and main responsibilities, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationKnowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Broad knowledge and experience of clinical nursing practice within an acute hospital environment.
- Interest in the clinical area
- Experience of teaching
Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Experience of taking charge
- RN UK NMC registration with current PIN
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Training Qualification or equivalent experience
- Relevant post registration course
- Demonstrate competence in clinical skills relevant to the clinical area
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal, able to communicate effectively with patients, carers, and MDT
- Computer skills
- Competence in calculations for safe administration of medicines/fluids
- Ability to take the lead, initiate and ensure appropriate action in response to the deteriorating patient
- Clinical decision-making ability
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Act in a professional manner, NMC Code
- A team player, team builder, & Leadership skills
- Recognition of own limits
- Flexible working practices
- Mentor / Assessor/ supervisor to Students and newer members staff
Public Sector Language CompetencyEssential
- Sympathetic & Patient Attitude
- Positive Outlook and behaviour
- Adaptable to change & delegated tasks
- Integrity at all levels
- Problem solver
- Clear critical Thinker
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Be able to speak fluent English to an appropriate standard.
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.