Following a recent structural change in the People Team, Southwest London & St George's Mental Health (SWLSTG) NHS Trust is looking for various roles in the People Team including a dynamic People Consultant in the HR operations team.
Reporting into the Head of Operations, the People Consultant will be responsible for providing modern, professional, high quality, consistent and responsive ER service is provided across the Trust, working within agreed Service Level Agreements, (SLA's) and meeting all Key Performance Indicators (KPI's).
The post holder will develop and deliver a business focused employee relations plan that meets the needs of all Service Line and Corporate stakeholder groups. You will be an ER expert acting as a role model and promoting best practice in all ER interventions undertaken by the team. You will also be commissioned by People Delivery Partners to support with change management and TUPE.
We are looking for a collaborative, resilient and seasoned individual, who will be able to lead on their own caseload of highly sensitive, highly complex cases and advise on complex contractual/ER issues and terms and conditions of service. This role will suit an individual that is comfortable operating across services lines and with complex casework. Main duties of the job
This is one of two posts that will manage ER cases that could have financial or reputational implications on the Trust
The postholder will ensure the provision of a cohesive, standardised service that delivers consistent high standards of advice and support to managers within the Trust. You will work closely with People Delivery Partners to ensure HR involvement achieving business objectives by efficient and effective management of ER casework. You will also work alongside the First point of contact service, where complex cases will be escalated to you through a triage process
You will provide advice and support to all staff across the organisation including members of the Executive Team. The post holder will also manage the development and consultation of the Employee Relations policies and procedures. You will be expected to understand issues concerning equality and diversity, leading equality and diversity initiatives that impact employee relations policies and work in accordance with the Trust's Equality Objectives and policies
This role is offered on a permanent basis and will be based at our Tolworth Hospital site. You will be working in accordance with the Trust Agile working policy
As part of the interview and assessment process, applicants can expect a presentation with an Q& A, followed by an interview Flexible working:
In this role you will be able to work Monday to Friday within the time frames from 9.00am - 5.00pm giving you the very best of good work life balanceAbout us
We are Proud to Belong at South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust.
We have expert services, a rich history and a clear commitment to providing the best quality care for those with mental ill-health. The Care Quality Commission already rates our services as 'good' - we aspire to be 'outstanding'.
This is a great time to join us. We are transforming the way we care for our communities to support our mission of Making Life Better Together. We have built two brand new mental health facilities at Springfield University Hospital, which are amongst the best in the world. More developments are planned across our sites and services.
We are inclusive and diverse and strive to be actively anti racist. We want to attract people from all backgrounds and experiences to enrich the work we do together. We are proud to co-produce and involve our local communities in all that we do.
We offer flexible working, career development and a variety of benefits to enable a positive, welcoming environment in which our people and their careers can thrive. About our locations: Tolworth Hospital, Surbiton
To create the very best environment to care for our patients, this site's layout will be transformed in 2026 to add a number of wards to the existing three. Tolworth has a canteen and is near shops, the A3, Tolworth station, and is a bus ride from Surbiton station, with fast connections to Clapham Junction and London Waterloo.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
In addition to the main duties outline for the role, some of the key responsibilities include: Provide expert advice and support to all members of the Trust, including Executive Team members, on employment law and the application of Trust wide policies and procedures. Project manage and closely monitor the delivery of many investigations, engaging all relevant staff and ensuring the timescales are set and deadlines are achieved. Ensure consistency of approach to ER matters across the team and that ER best practice is always maintained and within Trust policy, while providing pragmatic solutions that are responsive to the needs of the service. Leading the development of Trust wide policies to reflect up to date case law and practice, liaising with the Trusts solicitors when needed. To ensure that advice given, and case handling is delivered in a timely manner and within agreed SLAs/KPIs. Ensure appropriate ER support is provided to managers when dealing with informal/formal matters under the relevant procedures. This will include general policy, procedure and best practice advice, support with investigations, and advice on the preparation of management cases, supporting chairs at hearings and confirming written outcomes. Oversee the management of Employment Tribunal cases, and preparing cases for, settling such claims where appropriate and representing the Trust at Tribunal where this becomes necessary and supporting staff in preparation. Proving advice and support to all staff on highly complex and. highly sensitive organisational changes including leadership of all TUPE related cases. Ensure appropriate research is undertaken, within the NHS and wider HROD community so that a range of SWLSTG people management policies, procedures, guidance and toolkits are developed which are aligned and responsive to business needs, and are customer focused. To ensure they incorporate best practice and where necessary conform to legislative requirements.
A full set of the responsibilities can be viewed in the job description and person specification.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Level 7 standard of Education (e.g., Masters) and/or CIPD level 7 (Advanced Diploma) in Human Resource Management or related topic OR equivalent experience
- CMI level 7 or equivalent gained through an inhouse programme or equivalent experience.
- Coaching qualification would be desirable.
- Demonstrates commitment to own continued professional development (CPD)
- Legal qualification
- Significant experience of managing ER in a complex multidisciplinary organisation including employment tribunals
- Experience of working in a unionised environment and negotiating with Trade Unions and dealing with representatives at a local and regional level
- Experience of managing and handling the complex people aspects of large-scale restructures and redundancies in the NHS.
- A track record of delivery in the areas of planning and delivering on employee relations initiatives.
- Demonstrable experience of managing contentious and complex/highly complex people issues effectively together with stakeholders.
- Demonstrable expertise and experience in the field of employee relations to include experience of dealing with complex medical ER issues, e.g., MHPS, redundancy, appeals against Job Planning Experience of dealing with complex ER cases, preparation of cases for ET's (to include medical) and TUPE.
- Experience of embedding good practices
- Experience of interpreting national guidelines and legislation into local policies
- Experience of generating, presenting and delivering complex data/reports
- Experience of Implementing an ER case management system
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Medical staffing - some experience of working in medical staffing and/or knowledge of managing matters that fall under Managing High Professional Standards would be advantageous.
- OD experience and expertise
- Project Management experience
- Facilitation and mediation
South West London and St Georges Mental Health NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.