Band 5 Staff Nurse - Ophthalmology OPD
We have a vacancy for a full-time Band 5 Staff Nurse position in our Ophthalmology Outpatients team.
The role includes rotation across a variety of areas. These include Eye casualty, Clinic cover, AMD - you will also be required to provide cross-county cover to our satellite site at West Berkshire Community Hospital in Thatcham.
This role consists of providing high quality care, undertaking patient assessments and assisting/supporting patients attending our outpatient services.Main duties of the job
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with patients, their relatives /visitors, ward / team leaders and all members of the multi-professional team utilising a wide range of well-developed communication methods.
- Support and coordinate in the delivery of patient care, assessments and documentation of patient care.
- Support and run allocated clinic workload demonstrating effective time management and prioritisation of patient needs. Recognising the importance of supporting colleagues and junior staff.
- Additional roles for the department would include triage in eye casualty. This includes relevant patient assessments, history taking and documentation of relevant findings such as vision and IOP.
- Assisting our AMD service and injection service in the treatment room.
- Extended roles e.g. stock ordering, floorwalker and cleaning/stocking of the clinic rooms.
- Cross-county cover and travel to satellite sites including West Berkshire Community Hospital.
Reading sits on the river Thames and is served by great road and rail links to London, Oxford and Southampton. With excellent leisure and shopping facilities, and a thriving cultural scene, Reading is a wonderful place to live, work and play and provides excellent facilities for families, including some of the best state and private schools in the UK.
The CQC recently rated the care provided by the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust as Good.
Our values: C
xcellent, reflect the type of Trust we aspire to be and you can join our dedicated and talented staff to make this happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will provide high quality fundamental care to patients in a caring, compassionate and sensitive manner:
- Acting always in the patients' best interests.
- Protecting and maintaining the patients' privacy and dignity at all times.
- The post holder is responsible for undertaking and recording a comprehensive nursing assessment and planning, delivering and evaluating high standards of evidenced based nursing care to a diverse group of patients.
- Is expected to deliver care without direct supervision. Is accountable for the care delivered and any omissions of care.
- Is expected to teach and supervise more junior staff, students and the non registered nursing workforce.
- Is accountable for care or any omissions of care that he/she delegates to others.
- Is expected to act as role model, delivering care with empathy and compassion as part of a multidisciplinary team.
The post holder will be actively involved in providing supervision and guidance to junior / less-experienced staff. Please refer to the attached Job Description & Person Specification for further details. Person SpecificationEducation, Qualifications & TrainingEssential
- Registered Nurse - part 1 Current NMC registration
- Evidence of recent continuous professional development
- Educated to degree level or working towards - able to demonstrate academic interest
- Experience (through placement or employment) of working in an acute clinical environment
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in specialty may be an advantage
Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Berkshire Hospital
Reading & WBCH Thatcham
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.