An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented, ambitious, and dynamic Senior nurse to join the Peri operative and Critical Care Board as Matron at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals. The portfolio for the successful Matron will include the Preoperative assessment service.
Preoperative assessment is a vital part of the patient's surgical pathway of care and facilitating day of surgery arrival. The pre-admission clinic is a predominantly nurse-led unit with consultant anaesthetic support for certain sessions during the week. Patients attend from various specialities including ENT, urology, general, hepatobiliary, vascular, and orthopaedic surgery where an anaesthetic health assessment is completed to assess patient's fitness for surgery.
Ideal candidates will have experience of preoperative assessment and/or previous experience of nursing leadership. You should be passionate about advancing the field of Preoperative assessment and have the ability to inspire and support others to reach their maximum potential.
The successful applicant will have oversight for the delivery of high quality, safe and effective care to improve the outcomes and experiences of patients, families, and carers. In this post you will be resilient and able to deal with complex situations and must also be able to balance the need to be a visible leader with managerial responsibilities.
Main duties of the job
- Interview date: 6 December 2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes/week
To manage the delivery of all nursing aspects of the agreed outputs for their area of responsibility, by:
- Ensuring effective action is taken where nursing performance is at risk of falling below expected levels and standards are not maintained.
- The Matron has 24 hour accountability for departments in their Clinical Board.
- They must ensure appropriate systems and processes are in place to ensure the continuity of safe and effective care at all times.
- Be champions for driving the infection prevention and control agenda and challenging poor practice.
- Manage and respond to complaints and adverse incidents.
- Undertake root cause analysis and develop action plans, ensuring that this leads to change in practice.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with patients, relatives and staff to contribute to the active resolution of potentially complex situations, conflicts and issues.
- In conjunction with the Senior Nursing Team, the Matron will be responsible for monitoring and maintaining excellent clinical standards within clinical teams.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
- The Matron has 24-hour accountability for specific departments in the Clinical Board
- They must ensure appropriate systems and processes are in place to always ensure the continuity of safe and effective care
- Deputises for the Operational Services Manager as required/appropriate and is part of the Board management team
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.Person SpecificationKNOWLEDGEEssential
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant NHS policy or project specific policy context
- Maintain and improve professional knowledge, skills and competence
- Good IT skills
- Report writing skills
- Effectively manage the directorate nursing resource
- Appropriate clinical skills
- Move and handle objects in line with Trust guidelines using appropriate aids
- Significant post registration experience, some of which must be at Band 7
- Significant experience at a senior level of managing nursing / clinical teams
- Audit / research experience
- Evidence of achievements in current post
- Evidence of proven leadership skills in relation to professional accountability
- Evidence of significant experience of safeguarding adults / children
- Registered Nurse (appropriate to branch)
- Current NMC registration
- Able to demonstrate academic achievement at post-graduate/masters level or significant demonstrable experience in speciality at Matron level
- Willing to undertake full Master's Degree within an agreed timescale
- Meets Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) requirements for mentorship relevant to role
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Leadership / management qualification
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
317 01 Freeman Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.