We are now recruiting for staff to work in our brand-new, purpose-built hospital within the site at Royal Sussex County Hospital! The new 'Louisa Martindale' building provides spacious, well-resourced and modern facilities for patients and staff across 40 wards and departments. The building includes a new 'Welcome space', running the entire length of the building. This provides ample space for everyone and includes a high-quality retail outlet.
As part of this development, we are expanding our Sonography team, recruiting into band 7 Sonographer posts
Spending time in a brand-new Ultrasound department, as well as our existing departments including a newly refurbished ANC in Princess Royal Hospital Haywards Heath, this post is ideal to consolidate existing skills as well as learn new skills with Sonographers given the opportunity to train in MSK and Head and Neck (including biopsy) as well as some Paediatric scanning involving the Screening of new-born hips.
Audit and research will be expected from the offsetas well as teaching to both Registrars and Trainee SonographersMain duties of the job
- To support the Lead Sonographer in the provision of a professional ultrasound service.
- To perform and report independently on a wide range of ultrasound examinations. Dependent on qualifications this will include renal, abdominal, Doppler, gynaecological and some small parts scans as well as a full range of obstetric scans
- To produce appropriate written reports for the medical profession and keep accurate records using a combination of CRIS, Viewpoint and PACS
- Communicate potentially distressing diagnoses directly to patients and refer accordingly.
- Maintain a high standard of patient care and medical ethics
- Participate in CPD and other developmental activities and actively take part in departmental research/audit
- Supervise the clinical training of Student Sonographers and other Radiology personnel.
- Supervise and mentor recently qualified Sonographers
- To help maintain the high standards of the ultrasound department and to encourage working as team with all members of staff including HCA's and reception staff
Join us atUHSussex, every day is different, you can be the change, better never stops AtUHSussexwe're proud to be at the heart of the NHS. As one of theUK's largest acute Trusts, we're a leading example of the excellence, the ambition and the values that haveembodied the NHS for over 70 years.
Improving lives:We are a vibrant and inclusive organisation, with hardworking, talented and dedicated individuals, who work together towards a common goal, to always put ourPatientFirst. Our mission is summed up by our 'where better never stops' motto and no matter the role atUHSussex, you will play a part in driving us forwards and in improving the lives ofpatients across Sussex. We treat our patients and staff with the same compassion and empathy we expect for ourselves. We're here for them when they need us, and we go above andbeyond to meet their needs. This can be seen in ourwellbeing programmefor staff which is extensive and designed to support you when you need it because we know that to look afterothers we must first look after ourselves.
Build a career with us:As a university trust and a leader in healthcare research, we value learning, teaching and training so that we can be the best that we can be. From the moment youstart with us and throughout your career we will help you to grow and develop. We hope that in choosingUHSussex you are choosing a long and happy career where you will see the difference you make and feel valued for all that you do.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see Job Description and Person Specification for full details.Person SpecificationessentialEssential
- To provide a highly specialised clinical service using ultrasound equipment to image and provide accurate diagnosis
- To perform and independently report on all ultrasound procedures.
- A full range of ultrasound examinations is undertaken. Predominantly abdominal and obstetric scanning as well as a Gynae examinations, DVT scans and some small part scans.
- To diagnose pregnancy failure, fetal abnormalities, complications and stillbirth
- To ensure skills are up-to-date and relevant to the role, to follow relevant Trust policies and professional codes and to maintain registration for required role.
- To implement UHS East agreed policies and procedures.
- The referral sources are varied from GP services, OPD services to Inpatient services. There are also one stop clinics for Gynaecology and Urology as well as a 5 day EPU service.
- The majority of scans are performed unassisted. However consultation with peers and Consultant Radiologists is essential. Some consultation with referring clinicians will also be required
- To maximise service provision you will be required to work at any site within UHSussex (Brighton, Hove and Haywards Heath).
- To operate the equipment with the appropriate level of skill and be suitably qualified
- To exercise independent judgement during the scan and whilst creating and verifying the ultrasound report, accurately differentiating between pathological and normal anatomical variants. It is expected that the sonographer will analyse the information acquired from the scan and subsequent images.
- HCPC/NMC registration
- NHS Experience
- Knowledge of current NHS Obstetric Policy
- Current experience of non-obstetric Ultrasound
- CASE accredited qualification in Ultrasound
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Current FMF Registration
- Teaching experience of all grades of staff
- Experience of acute Non- Obstetric US Scanning
- Experience of specialised US techniques
- Working Knowledge of Imaging Information systems
- Knowledge of National policy and pertinent clinical guidance
University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (279)Address
Imaging, Louisa Martindale Building, Royal Sussex County Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.