CNWL are are seeking aSpecialist Grade Doctor in the Psychiatry of Intellectual Disabilitiesto join the Learning Disabilities team in Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow.
The successful candidate should have been in a relevant specialty in the Specialty Doctor and/or closed SAS grades for a minimum of six years. They should have an inclusive, compassionate and service user focused approach.Main duties of the job
The post-holder will manage the care of service users on the caseload of the Harrow Learning Disabilities team. The post holder will be expected to work in partnership, young people and adults and their carers so that they are fully involved in and empowered to make decisions about their treatment and care. It remains a priority to establish and maintain good communication and effective working relationships with referrers and to work closely with other agencies. It will be important for the post holder to build a knowledge of and links with voluntary and independent service providers locally.
All Consultant Psychiatrists, SAS Doctors, Senior Clinicians of other professions, and clinical managers will be expected to embrace the multi-disciplinary working culture of the Service.About us
The Trust spans eight boroughs and manages an element of Learning Disabilities services across these boroughs. The Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon LD community teams are employed and managed by the Trust whereas it employs psychiatrists for the RBKC, Westminster, H& F, Enfield and Milton Keynes services. The Trust provides inpatient Assessment and Treatment services at The Kingswood Centre. The service is for people with a Learning Disability who have mental illness and/or behaviour disorders so challenging that the local services are unable to meet their needs.
The Harrow Learning Disabilities Health Team is a joint health and social care team.. The team consists of Learning Disability Health Team members that include psychology, community nursing, speech and language therapy and behaviour support staff. The Local Authority team are based at the Harrow Civic Centre, Harrow.
People with an intellectual disability who have combinations of acute mental illness, severe challenging behaviours or autistic spectrum conditions that require a period of admission are normally admitted onto Northwick Park Mental Health Unit initially but may be transferred to a learning disability specialist bed, if appropriate.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationEducation, Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- To be responsible for carrying out detailed psychiatric assessments and risk assessments and to contribute to planning and implementing service users care plans, under Dialogue+ procedures and guidelines
- To carry out the above in a variety of settings, including home visits, and other non-stigmatising settings
- To work flexibly to ensure that clients and their carers are able to access the service effectively
- To provide the day-to-day medical cover to the Harrow LD team
- To review clients within the community as well as those who require a hospital admission for medical assessments and evaluation including physical and mental state examinations
- To participate in the Middle Grade on-call Rota for Northwick Park Hospital and Park Royal. Currently the frequency of on call is 1:12 but this may vary in the future according to service needs.
- To be an active member of the multi-disciplinary team
- To involve the user and carers in the treatment, management and care planning of a users mental health and physical care
- To liaise effectively with appropriate agencies, statutory and non-statutory, other mental healthcare providers, GPs and families and carers, as appropriate, regarding clients
- To ensure that clinical records are kept up to date, accurate, signed and legible
- To ensure that all aspects relating to discharging clients are appropriately dealt with, and all clients are diagnosed with ICD10 code
- To take an active part in devising and reviewing clinical protocols
- To be available to receive supervision from the Consultant
- To participate in Continuing Professional Development
- To participate in annual appraisal in line with Trust policy, from the Consultant or Lead clinician
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Full GMC Registration with Licence to Practise
- To be section 12(2) MHA 1983 approved (or achieve within 6 months of apt)
- A minimum of six years should have been in a relevant specialty in the Specialty Doctor and/or closed SAS grades
- Equivalent years' experience in a relevant specialty from other medical grades including from overseas
- MRCPsych (or equivalent)
- An additional post graduate qualification of relevance to (own specialty)
- Proficient in risk assessment and management
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary teams
- Experience of use of the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act in an inpatient psychiatric setting
- Demonstrable leadership skills
- Adequate training in child and adult safeguarding
- Demonstrates ability to challenge others, escalating concerns when necessary
Skills Knowledge & QualitiesEssential
- Experience of service development/business planning
- High level knowledge of planned developments at a national level to improve efficiency and deliver quality services
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Good interpersonal and communications skills in line with the Trust's Core Behaviors
- Communicates effectively using the English Language and is able to share decision-making with patients, relatives and carers treats patients as individuals, promoting a person-centered approach to their care
- Sound organisational skills
- Awareness of their leadership responsibilities as a clinician and demonstrates appropriate leadership behavior.
- Demonstrates understanding of a range of leadership principles, approaches and techniques so can adapt leadership behaviours to improve engagement and outcomes.
- Awareness of legal responsibilities relevant to the role, such as around mental capacity and deprivation of liberty data protection equality and diversity.
- Ability to work on own initiative
Central and North West London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Northwick Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.