We are leaders in Major Laparoscopic Surgery & Robotic Surgery with the Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit - an internationally recognised centre of excellence created for the teaching of innovative laparoscopic surgical techniques.
Specialties here include: Colorectal, Urology, Gynae Oncology, Hepatobiliary, and Upper GI, Breast Surgery, Ophthalmology, Obstetrics, Major Head and Neck and ENT, Trauma & Orthopaedics and CEPOD.
If you are ready for a change and want to be part of a great team then come and work here! We are looking for experienced, dynamic, flexible and highly motivated individuals who enjoy working in a team and are a seeking a new challenge. The theatre suites here at the RSCH are busy, multi-specialty units committed to delivering a high standard of care.
Your proven leadership and organisation skills along with your ability to prioritise and remain calm under pressure in a busy team environment will ensure you are able to demonstrate your excellent communication skills and drive to succeedMain duties of the job
- To provide skilled assistance to the anaesthetist or surgeon or to work in post anaesthetic care unit as required.
- To work cohesively with all members of the multidisciplinary theatre team to ensure provision of high quality, individualised patient care.
- Have the ability to work unsupervised and manage own time effectively.
- To act as a Senior Operating Department Practitioner providing a high standard of individualised patient care reflecting individual competencies and education.
- To ensure that care is evidence based and patient centered.
- To support Anaesthetic Team Lead with regard to day to day management of ODP staffing to ensure the provision of a high quality, cost effective service.
In addition the post holder will be required to take responsibility for a specified delegated area of workAbout us
Royal Surrey is a compassionate and collaborative acute and community Trust. Recognising that our 5000 colleagues are our greatest strength, we offer a comprehensive health and wellbeing program along with a commitment to developing and advancing your career. Our diverse and welcoming Royal Surrey family will ensure you that you feel valued from your initial interview through your entire tenure.
We are clinically led and provide joined up care by bridging the gap between hospital and community services alongside regional specialist cancer care. Our main acute hospital site is in Guildford with community hospital sites at Milford, Haslemere and Cranleigh. We provide adult community health services in homes across Guildford and Waverley.
We have received an overall Good rating from the CQC with Medical care (including older peoples care), End of Life Care and Maternity services being deemed Outstanding by the CQC.
Royal Surrey has a strong reputation and history to build on. We are proud of our achievements and we are investing in our colleagues through our commitment to supporting professional development as well as investing more than �45 million in our physical environment and new equipment in the next few years. There has never been a better time to join us. Although it isn't the Trusts normal practice, adverts may close early, so you are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible.
A video about the Royal Surrey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsiGn9joTQJob descriptionJob responsibilities
- To provide high quality, research based, individualised patient care at all times.
- Provide expert support in operating theatres as directed by Anaesthetic Team Lead.
- To provide a problem solving approach to patient care.
- To prepare the clinical environment to meet the requirements of the operating lists and anticipated workload and when on night duty complete specific departmental tasks as required
- Take part in or lead all stages of WHO Surgical Safety Checklist prior to undertaking any procedure.
- To provide expert assistance and support in accordance with the roster or as directed by Anaesthetic Team Lead.
- To act as the patients advocate and give psychological support to the patient e.g. whilst in the anaesthetic room, during local anaesthetic procedures.
- Provide expert assistance to the anaesthetist whilst in the anaesthetic room e.g. the application of monitoring equipment and the positioning of the patient.
- To ensure and assist with the safe preparation of patients for operative procedures e.g. application of patient monitoring, safe transfer and positioning of patients on the operating table, holding of limbs during skin preparation and draping
- Assist the anaesthetist with perioperative management and care of patient including physiological monitoring and support of systems.
- Prepare and administer prescribed drugs in accordance with Trust policy and monitor effects of those drugs.
- To assist in the control of cross infection by adhering to departmental policy regarding dress, the maintenance of a clean working environment, decontamination and sterilisation procedures and asepsis.
- Provide assistance in operative procedures, guiding and supporting junior staff and taking action additional to own work role, where appropriate.
- Provide immediate post-operative care.
- When on night duty, undertake immediate post anaesthetic care responsible for the immediate care of the post anaesthetic patient.
- Act as a skilled member of the priority/trauma team.
- Provide support to junior staff at priority calls, trauma calls, obstetric crash calls and major haemorrhage calls.
- Provide help and assistance in the Day Surgery Theatres, if required.
- Monitor, assess and care for up to and including level 3 patients post resuscitation or in the immediate post-operative phase.
- Provide clinical and managerial leadership and support to junior staff.
- To cover/act up in the absence of the Anaesthetic Team Lead when required.
- To be aware of the theatre budget in order to achieve a safe and cost-effective service, effectively utilising allocated resources appropriately.
- To assist the senior staff in managerial issues, accepting the lead for agreed projects.
- To assist with Individualised Performance Review and objective setting for junior staff.
- To maintain clinical and managerial records in accordance with current guidelines.
- To comply with Health and Safety, Infection Control and COSHH and AAGBI Regulations and ensure Trust and departmental policies are correctly adhered to.
- To effectively communicate with all members of the team, wards and other departments.
- To report incidents and accidents according to Trust policy.
- Attend all clinical and professional meetings/study days relevant to designated area of work or role.
- To maintain high standards of personal and professional conduct and performance.
- To contribute in the clinical governance and quality activity in conjunction with the theatre sister/charge nurse including:
- Maintaining accurate documentation
- Incident reporting and preparation of accurate statements as required
- Undertaking audits
- Participating in research
- Understanding the complaints procedure
- Practice Development
- To participate in the theatre on-call system.
- To be required to use computer systems purchased by the Trust providing appropriate training has been given.
Teaching, Training and Research
- To communicate regularly with the Theatre Perioperative Practice Educator, particularly in regard to clinical placements and other continuous development opportunities.
- To attend appropriate professional updates and ensure knowledge gained from study is shared within the team.
- Contribute towards departmental teaching sessions and assist the Perioperative Educator in producing teaching resource files.
- Act as a mentor to pre-registration students/new staff members ensuring the promotion of a good learning environment.
- Act as a preceptor to preceptees ensuring a support environment conducive to consolidation of practice.
- Actively seek to improve practice through the application of research and participate in the clinical audit activities within the theatre department and the Trust.
Be responsible for own personal and professional continuing development including statutory and mandatory trainingPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- City and Guilds 752/NVQ Level 3/DipHE or Bsc in Operating Department Practice Anaesthetic Nurses - ENB 182 or equivalent UK recognised qualification in Anaesthetics.
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Management Course
- Mentorship or equivalent
Skills and CapabilitiesEssential
- Demonstrable knowledge of perioperative practice including up to date knowledge of AGBI, NICE, and DAS guidelines.
- Demonstrable knowledge of normal and altered anatomy and physiology including commonly encountered pre-existing patient conditions.
- Possess underpinning knowledge of pharmacology in perioperative care.
- CPD - evidence of post qualification experience and continuing professional development
- Member of relevant professional body - HCPC or NMC
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues and within the multidisciplinary team.?A/I
- Ability to assess patients and develop individualized, high quality perioperative care plans.
- Be able to recognise and act upon change in patients physiological parameters. ?A/I
- Management Skills and leadership skills - Must be able to prioritise own work effectively and be able to direct activities of others. Experience of managing and motivating a team and reviewing performance of the individuals
- Ability to work where appropriate with autonomy and in line with national and local policies.
- Ability to escalate issues to appropriate staff in difficult or challenging circumstance and remain clam under pressure.
- Equality and Diversity - Needs to have a thorough understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity and good working relationships both in terms of day-to-day working practices, but also in relation to management systems
Employer detailsEmployer name
- IT Skills, Working knowledge of Microsoft Office with intermediate keyboard skills.
Royal Surrey NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Surrey Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.