Two full-time Posts available.
There are many reasons to join our team at Sunderland Eye Infirmary. Aside from fantastic staff, we have lots of exciting things going on. Our plans for our Eye Hospital in Sunderland are taking shape and will be our new home, with work due to start later this year. The new hospital means Sunderland will remain home to the region's only dedicated standalone eye hospital. It will strengthen our excellent reputation across the NHS, both regionally and nationally as a centre of excellence for ophthalmology care.
We also never stay still when it comes to discovering new and better treatments. As one of the few specialist eye hospitals in the country, research and using developing technology is a key part of our work. We encourage innovation and research in everything we do.
We are seeking to fill two locum consultant ophthalmologist posts, who have specialist interests in Oculoplastics, Glaucoma and/or Medical Retina, with an additional interest in catracts being desirable. The posts will be for an initial fixed term of 12 months but may be extended by mutual consent. The posts are full time with an indicative 10 PA job plan although consideration will be given to applicants wishing to work less than full time. The succesful applicants will join a team of 20 consultants and the post will be predominantly worked from Sunderland Eye Infirmary (SEI) with some requirement for delivery of peripheral clinics in Durham, Hartlepool and South Tyneside.Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will hold FRCOphth qualification or equivalent and ideally have spent a substantial period of time in sub specialist training (i.e 1 year fellowship prior to taking up post), with at least some of this in an Internationally recognised centre. Overall Responsibilities
Support the current Consultants in keeping within the Trust targets for new patients and to continue to achieve 18 weeks RTT
To support the Current Consultants in keeping within the NPSA Directive for review patients (http://www.npsa.nhs.uk/corporate/news/delayed-appointments-can-lead-to-blindness-npsa-report/) avoiding cancelled follow-ups.
To maintain the high levels of patient satisfaction in the unit by helping to provide a Consultant led service.
To support the current Consultants in the medical and surgical management of Oculoplastic/Glaucoma/Medical Retina ophthalmology. To audit outcomes and compare to the standards currently being set.
To help with teaching and training of junior doctors, optometrists, ophthalmic nurses and medical students.
To actively participate in service development within the sub-speciality and across the entire Ophthalmology unit
Informal enquiries are welcome please contact: Mr Ajay Kotagiri, Consultant Ophthalmologist and Clinical Director for Ophthalmology on 0191 5699954 or Ajay.Kotagiri@nhs.net or Ms Wendy Adams, Consultant Ophthalmologist via Wendy.Adams3@nhs.netAbout usPlease help us by adding your telephone number to your application form this will allow us to contact you quickly if required.
One Team One Trust - There are many reasons to work at our Trust. From our commitment to putting people first to our accessible services and award winning teams. We have a passion for research, innovation and tackling inequalities. We are committed to respect, fairness and civility and promote a compassionate, caring and positive culture / working environment.
We welcome all applications irrespective of peoples race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion/belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups. Looking after our workforces health and wellbeing is a priority for STSFT. We also provide access to high quality education, training, career progression and support.
The Trust employs around 8,300 people and provides a range of hospital services to a local community of around 430,000 residents. We also provide a range of more specialised services outside this area, in some cases to a population as great as 860,000. We offer our staff outstanding benefits - Fitness Centre (SRH), libraries at both hospital sites, chaplaincy support and access to a Childcare Co-ordinator to help staff with childcare arrangements.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesDuties and Responsibilities
A Hospital Consultant has continuous responsibility for any patient under his or her care.
Final job plans will be agreed in discussion between the successful candidates and the Clinical Director and will be subject to Annual Review.
Some sessions, in particular audit and teaching sessions will be worked flexibly and there will be the opportunity to revise the fixed procedural sessional timetable to accommodate other commitments of the appointee.
The post holder is expected to attend monthly Directorate meetings. The Clinical Director is Mr Ajay Kotagiri.
The post holder will be expected to develop the service in keeping with national guidance and the Local Modernisation and Reform Group priorities/targets.
Consultant performance is monitored within the Directorate and strong emphasis is given to personal career development. Clinical Responsibilities
The post holder will:
Provide clear leadership and direction to the Ophthalmic Services of Sunderland acting as a source of advice both within and out with the Trust (if appropriate).
Be a key person for advice, support and guidance to the OphthalmicTeam in the provision of care.
In conjunction with the Directorate team assist in the delivery of a comprehensive service to maintain the management and follow-up of patients withOphthalmic disorders and in particular Oculoplastics/Glaucoma/Medical Retina.
Develop good working relationships with: -
o Primary Care and the Integrated Care Boards (ICB)
o Optometrists and nurses
Formulate and update guidelines and protocols for the department where appropriate
Take an active role in maintaining high standards in the delivery of emergency eye care FOR FULL JOB DESCRIPTION SEE ATTACHMENTPerson SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Full general Ophthalmic surgical training with extensive experience of general ophthalmology with sub-specialty expertise in Oculoplastic / Medical Retina / Glaucoma.
Teaching and educationEssential
- Fellowship level in Oculoplastic / Medical Retina / Glaucoma
- Experience of supervising junior medical staff
- Experience of participation in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Ability to teach clinical / technical / practical skills
- Qualification in medical education
Audit and ResearchEssential
- Primary medical qualification
- Full GMC registration
- Entry onto the GMC Specialist Register or eligibility for entry within six months of the date of the AAC [there is flexibility with the 6-month period with Executive Medical Director approval]
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical practice
- Involvement in quality improvement measures
- Ability to undertake multi-disciplinary audit / audit in specialty area
- Good presentation skills
- Experience of clinical research
Management and administrative experienceEssential
- Undertaken research with published papers in refereed journals
- Understanding of the NHS, Clinical Governance process and resource issues
- Evidence of organisational, management and time management skills
- Develop and operationalise coherent ideas for service development/delivery.
- Evidence of management and administration experience and understanding management goals
- Management course and / or certificate
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Alignment with the Trust core values and behaviours.
- Flexible approach to service delivery and committed approach to development.
- Committed to share in professional, managerial and teaching responsibilities necessary to fulfil the obligations of the Directorate, to the Trust and its workforce.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, relatives and healthcare workers and other agencies
- Evidence of understanding of and adherence to principles of Good Medical Practice set out by the GMC
South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Sunderland Eye Infirmary
Queen Alexandra Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.