The specialist midwife will be responsible for leading and monitoring Saving Babies Lives Care Bundle element 3 at Stockport Foundation trust. The post holder will be required to undertake third trimester ultrasound scanning and have a key leadership role within fetal surveillance. The post holder will provide specialist skills and knowledge to support the division's quality and safety agenda.
The aim of the role is to enhance the quality of patient care, showing leadership in the management of risk within the departments and achieve consistency in practice, high standards of care and innovation with a strong patient safety focus.Main duties of the job
About usWe hold a unique position in the Stockport community as the provider of healthcare and we are one of its largest employers. Our mission is to make a difference every day. Our values are that we care, we respect, and we listen We believe that the best organisations are those that reflect the communities they serve. We are therefore seeking to improve the diversity of our workforce to make it truly representative of our local population. We actively encourage applications irrespective of race, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marriage & civil partnership, or pregnancy or maternity. Recognising those communities that are underrepresented within our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from you. We recognise that flexible working is important. We take requests for flexible working seriously, consider any request we receive and try to work with you, so we can explore if your request may fit with the needs of the service. The salary for the role is only one part of the excellent package of benefits we offer to you:
- Will be expected to independently perform third trimester obstetric ultrasound scans, interpret, diagnose and produce a final written report with minimal need for advice/validation by another clinician/practitioner. The report should enable the referring clinician to confidently plan patient management based on its content.
- To act as an advocate for the women receiving care.
- The post-holder is expected to act as mentor for preceptee midwives and be involved in the mentoring and assessing of students including basic and/or post-basic students.
- Deal with all enquiries from staff, patients and relatives in a timely and professional manner either in writing, orally or electronically.
- Lead on projects for improving quality in relation to Saving babies lives care bundle v3 element 3.
- Be sensitive and have an awareness of differences in religious, cultural and spiritual needs of the families
- Act as a resource for colleagues within Saving babies lives care bundle element 3.
- Support the Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts (CNST), Maternity Incentive Scheme and ensure submission of evidence to demonstrate compliance with aspects related to their role.
- Use judgement to change/discuss requests from referrers within clinical and national guidelines.
- Will have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the principles of ultrasound.
- Liaise and seek second opinion from the ultrasound department when required.
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Between 27-33 days of annual leave plus bank holidays
- NHS pension scheme membership
- Salary sacrifice schemes for lease cars, home electronics and more, to make your salary go further
- NHS Staff discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Salary finance - for loans, savings, budget planning and tips on managing debt
- Stockport Credit Union- for local financial advice
- Collaborate with other health care professionals in the delivery of high standards of effective health care.
- As part of the clinical examination take a brief history from the women to confirm and expand on the clinical information already available. Have the ability to make decisions or recommendations for the best interests of the women.
- Assess the needs of individuals attending/contacting the service and identify the required level of intervention.
- Recognise and work within the limits of own competence and responsibility is crucial, referring issues beyond these limits to relevant people.
- Be responsible for the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of care to mothers and babies.
- Able to explain why the examination is being requested/performed, including the risks, benefits and limitations of the test.
- Support individuals equality, diversity and right identifying and addressing discrimination
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment and promote safeguarding by implementing the Trusts policies and procedures, acting promptly on concerns, communicating effectively and sharing information appropriately.
If successful this vacancy will require an enhanced DBS check at a cost of �41.90. This cost will be deducted from your first Trust salary
In addition to this it will be a condition of your employment that you will join the DBS update service and pay the annual subscription fee of �13.Person SpecificationEducation & QualificationsEssential
- Registered Midwife on NMC Register
- Post-registration qualification or evidence of further study to Degree level
- Post Graduate Course in Third Trimester Obstetric Ultrasound Scanning
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the specialty
- In depth knowledge of the Saving babies lives care bundle
- Awareness of National and local health policy relating to maternity and wider safety ambitions
Skills & AbilitiesEssential
- Involvement in the implementation of service improvements
- Demonstrate and awareness of audit standards and policies
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-agency environment.
- Independently perform, interpret, diagnose and produce a final written ultrasound report with minimal need for advice from other Clinician/Practitioner
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Effective written communication skills including analysis and presentation of reports
- Ability to work using own initiative and as part of a MDT
- Leadership and organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Stockport NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Stockport NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.