We have an exciting opportunity for a Specialist Biomedical Scientist role in Haematology & Blood Transfusion working across the laboratories at Stoke Mandeville and Wycombe hospitals.
Applications are invited from HCPC registered Biomedical Scientists with good knowledge of Haematology & Blood Transfusion.The successful applicant will be part of a team working in the various sections of this busy fully automated Blood Sciences Department based at Stoke Mandeville and Wycombe Hospitals.
Previous applicants need not apply.Main duties of the job
The department uses Sysmex analysers for Haematology & Coagulation and Ortho Visions in Transfusion. Equipment is standardised at both sites.
The successful applicant will be able to assist the management team in the leadership of the laboratory and the training of the next generation of laboratory scientists.We deliver a 24 hour service and you would be expected to work a shift pattern to support provision of this service.
The ideal candidate will have a BSc in Biomedical Science or equivalent, be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council as a BMS, have completed the IBMS Specialist Portfolio (Haematology) or have equivalent proven experience at band 6 level in Haematology/Blood Transfusion. Evidence of continual professional development (CPD) will be expected to be demonstrated at interview. Candidates completing their Specialist Portfolio may be considered however they would start on band 5 if unable to satisfy the Specialist BMS criteria and will be promoted to a Specialist BMS upon completion of the specialist portfolio.About us
Listen to why colleagues think we are a great place to work! - https://bit.ly/3DNEQfD What does Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust offer you?
Why work for us?
- As part of our BHT family, you'll benefit from learning and development opportunities to support your career progression.
- We offer flexible and agile working opportunities, alongside your NHS benefits of generous annual leave entitlement, pension and access to NHS discount schemes.
- We provide a range of health and wellbeing services to promote a healthy, happy workforce.
What do we stand for?
- We're committed to promoting inclusion and making sure all colleagues feel they belong. We encourage new colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
- As an employer, we aim to create a workplace where differences are valued and colleagues treat one another with dignity and respect.
- Greater diversity within our BHT family improves positive outcomes for the people and communities we serve.
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Our vision is to provide outstanding care, support healthy communities and be a great place to work.
- Our mission is to provide personal and compassionate care every time.
- Our CARE values are collaborate, aspire, respect and enable.
For a comprehensive list of responsibilities and duties, please kindly refer to the Job Description and Person Specification by downloading the JD and PS attachment in the advert.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
- BSc BMS
- Specialist BMS portfolio
- HCPC registration
- Evidence of CPD
- Working as a member of a team
- Significant post registration experience
Skills & abilitiesEssential
- Supervising staff
- Working alone out of hours service
- Problem solving & troubleshooting
- Automated analysis with complex equipment
- Manual assays
- Quality systems and procedures
- Technical validation of results
- Comprehensive laboratory techniques
- Attention to detail
- Communication - spoken and written
- Command of English language
- Manual dexterity
- Interpersonal skills
- Keyboard and mouse skills
- Presentation skills
- Basic microsoft packages
- LIMS experience
- Comprehensive relevant laboratory theory
- Quality control and assurance
- Assays referred to other laboratories
- Safe handling of samples
- Minimum identification criteria
- Travel to other sites
- Work internal rotation
- Work alone at night
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Work at point of care sites away from laboratory
Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.