We are recruiting for a Nurse Team Leader who shares our vision to provide consistently outstanding care and exemplary service to our patients.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our friendly and dedicated team on the inpatient ward at Mount Vernon Cancer Centre.
We are a 22 bedded oncology inpatient ward based within Mount Vernon Cancer centre providing high quality care for both male and female patients with all types of cancer.
We care for inpatients receiving SACT and those requiring support with side-effects of treatment or their cancer, providing specialised treatments such as brachytherapy, iodine treatments and supportive therapies. We have an ambulatory bay for patients receiving inpatient and outpatient SACT.
The successful candidate will participate in the leadership of the oncology ward, delivering safe, high quality care and support for patients receiving cancer treatment.
You will be required to assume responsibility for co-ordinating shifts on a regular basis, supporting the Ward Sister/Deputy sisters with audits, supporting staff in their development whilst developing skills as a leader within the Trust. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and clinical skills and enjoy working as part of a team.
Our Values are Include, Respect and Improve. It is important that you understand and refer to our values during your recruitment process and beyond!Main duties of the job
Demonstrate role modelling as a senior nurse, excellent communicator and promote collaboration with the MDT.
To be a visible presence on the ward and co-ordinate the nursing shift, ensuring adequate staffing, skill mix and regular safety huddles
To administer medicines as prescribed adhering to the Trust Medicines Management Policy and NMC Guidelines for Medication Administration (2002)
With the relevant training and competency, undertake clinical skills as required for patient care e.g. catheterization, insertion of NG tubes etc.
Contribute to building an effective, cohesive and dynamic team
Support as required the ward team manager with the running of the clinical area and day to day management of the ward
Identify educational needs within the ward and contribute to teaching within the clinical area and to other healthcare professionals within the cancer centre both formally and informallyAbout us
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
ENHT is seeking to maintain and expand the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre staff as we move to an exciting new future.
We welcome applications from those who would relish the opportunity to be part of new and developing cancer service, building on the excellent reputation, research and patient experience the Cancer Centre already delivers.
In addition, you will receive a High Cost Area Supplement of 15% of your basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of �4,314 and a maximum payment of �5,436 per annum pro rata.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered Nursed educated to degree level
- Post registration oncology qualification
- SACT/ Chemotherapy module
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Advanced communication skills training
- Working towards Masters or equivalent level of study
- Working towards Masters or equivalent level of study
- Experience of multi-professional working
- Experience in clinical/team leadership
- Audit/evaluation of services
- Leadership skills
- Organisational and time management skills
- Analytical and judgement skills with the ability to appraise a situation and act quickly
- Flexibility and ability to work within a team
- IT literacy skills
- Ability to problem solve
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Intravenous/Cannulation/Central Venous Access Device skills and experience
- Administration of SACT/Chemotherapy and management of side effects
- Intermediate Life Support trained
- Relevant clinical skills e.g. Catheterisation, NG insertion and use of syringe drivers
- Ability to motivate others
- Good knowledge of cancer and treatment pathways
- National and local cancer initiatives
- Understanding of clinical governance, quality systems and risk management
- Knowledge of HR policies and processes
Employer detailsEmployer name
- To act in a professional manner at all times in accordance with NMC Code of Conduct
- Ability to cover full 24 hr. shift pattern including weekends and Bank Holidays
- Understanding of, and commitment to, equality, diversity and inclusion
- Role model our Trust values every day
East and North Herts NHS TrustAddress
Mount Vernon Cancer Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.