Are you passionate about providing great care to patients of all adult ages? Do you aspire to be part of a great team that provides compassionate care? If so, this job is for you!
The Royal London Hospital Ward 10F is looking for experienced and newly qualified nurses to join our outstanding service.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, committed, passionate, and motivated person to join the established team of nurses who have an interest in looking after short stay trauma, orthopaedic and plastic patients.
There will be opportunity to join the Trust's Preceptorship Programme and undertake a wide range of in-house development courses to support your journey with us.
We are also happy to hear from student nurses on their final year.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding job, we would like to hear from you.Main duties of the job
The aim of this post is to provide a high standard of patient care pre and post operatively in conjunction with the multi-disciplinary team in order to enhance the well being of patients.
To supervise and teach junior members of staff and learners as required, and maintain personal development with support.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together. We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Management and Leadership
- Professional / Clinical responsibilities
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care and make changes as necessary
- Identifies deteriorating patients and takes appropriate action
- Ensures documentation is accurate and up to date, utilising the electronic health record
- Demonstrates an inquiring approach to patient care
- Demonstrate awareness of issues affecting HIV/ Infection and Immunity and Respiratory patients as in and outpatients
- Demonstrate awareness of the nursing care needed by HIV/Infection and Immunity and Respiratory patients
- Develop skills in accordance with the expanded role relevant to the post holders clinical area such as cannulation and phlebotomy and patient health promotion/education.
- Educates patients and relatives about how to adopt healthy lifestyles, and look after their own health and wellbeing
- Identifies and helps patients, relatives and staff to reduce any risks associated with health and wellbeing
- Ensures patients views are taken into account in the decision making process
- Participates in collaborative decision making within the inter-disciplinary team
- Participates in meeting the health education and promotes the needs of patients and carers
- Communication is a fundamental process to ensure continuity and high standards of care. It includes sharing ideas, information and feedback in order to empower patients and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Skilled in communicating with a range of people on a daily basis some of who may have communication barriers
- A key responsibility will be to utilise a variety of strategies to communicate effectively with patients and those involved in their care
- The post holder must also communicate with other staff within the Trust, with external organisations and with the general public
- Keeps accurate and complete records of activities and communications consistent with legislation, policies and procedures
- The post holder must at all times work in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct (2015).
- Participates in research, audit and quality initiatives, e.g. Essence of Care
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills related to evidence based practice
- Monitors the quality of work on own area and alerts others to quality issues
- The post holder must at all times carry out duties and responsibilities with regard to the Trusts Equal Opportunity policy
- Identifies and takes action when own or others behaviour undermines equality and diversity
- Take account of own behaviour and its effect on others.
- Co-ordinates the activities of the clinical area, taking charge when required
- Participates in team meetings so fair and equal opportunities are given to share knowledge and ideas with colleagues
- Develops knowledge, understanding and application of their personal leadership skills.
- Provides feedback to other workers on their communication at appropriate times
- To be responsible for disseminating Trust policies and information as required
- Take account of own behaviour and its effect on others.
- Uses and maintains resources efficiently and effectively and encourages others to do so.
Education & Professional Development
- Demonstrates an understanding of research and development and how this influences nursing practice
- Input patient data in the correct form and manner whether this be primary or secondary information onto the supporting computer system
- Analyse and report information provided through appropriate clinical equipment and act upon this gathered information (e.g. blood pressure monitoring)
- Maintain the integrity of information using agreed methods and procedures
- Reports the data/ information clearly in the required format and at the time agreed
- The post holder is expected to develop their IT skills to a satisfactory standard suitable with the Staff Nurse role
- Engages in the Preceptorship programme either as a Preceptor or a Preceptee
- Develops an awareness of clinical supervision/action learning
- Improves clinical practice through reflection with self or others
- With the support of sister/charge nurse through the Trusts E-appraisal process and development of personal development plan identifies their educational and professional needs
- Influence the development of knowledge, ideas and work practice.
Risk & Governance Management
- To work as part of a team in the delivery of HIV/ Infection and Immunity and Respiratory services across Barts Health.
- Familiarises him/herself with and complies with the Trusts policies and procedures
- Respects patient confidentiality and in particular the confidentiality of electronically stored personal data in line with the requirements of the Data Protection Act (1998)
- Shows awareness of individual responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work Act and identify and report as necessary any untoward accident, incident or potentially hazardous environment
- When moving people and goods, the post holder must complete the relevant training as appropriate to the action, e.g. use of hoists
- Takes appropriate action to manage an emergency summoning assistance immediately when this is necessary
- Works in ways that minimise risks to health safety and security.
Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential Desirable
- Participates in the development of the ward/department Philosophy of Nursing and the Shared Governance structure of the Trust. The post holder will convey this within their area of practice.
- Specialist course (or experience) in orthopaedic care
- Preparation for Mentorship course or equivalent
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Previous Orthopaedics/Neurosurgery & Trauma
Barts Health NHS TrustAddress
Royal London Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.