My name is Alice Smilie, I am the Operational Manager of the John Radcliffe Pharmacy. I am privileged to lead our very hardworking Dispensary team in providing a dispensary service, supplying in-patient, outpatient and discharge medication to Patients of the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
An exciting and challenging opportunity has arisen for a full time Senior Pharmacy Technician, to work alongside our existing Senior Pharmacy Technician for Automation and Stock control, to oversee the day to day service provided from the John Radcliffe Dispensary and manage the Dispensary team of staff.
I am very keen to hear from you if you are an experienced Pharmacy Technician with a particular interest in leadership and shaping our future dispensary services.Main duties of the job
You will need to be a confident decision maker, with clear leadership skills, excellent pharmaceutical knowledge and technical skills and a sound understanding of pharmacy service and hospital services.
The Dispensary issues approx. 35,000 items a month and the Dispensary is an extremely busy and pressurised environment and the post holder will need to be able to continually read the work situation and make informed decisions under pressure to ensure that we meet our Key Performance Indicators and that all dispensary related tasks are completed according to standard operating procedures and in a safe and timely manner.
You will also be involved in all aspects of Dispensary staff management, including recruitment, induction and training of new staff to the team, conducting appraisals for designated staff, through to performance or disciplinary processes should they arise.
You will undertake risk assessments for dispensary related processes, assist the Operational Manager in the investigation of incident reports, writing of standard operating procedures and service continuity plans and promote a health and safety culture within the dispensary environment.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Technician to be able to fully contribute and help shape our future Dispensary service, during a challenging time within the NHS.
If you have the skills and ambition to take on this challenge then I'd like to hear from you!About usOxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
is one of the largest NHS teaching trusts in the country. It provides a wide range of general and specialist clinical services and is a base for medical education, training and research. Find out more here www.ouh.nhs.uk
The Trust comprises of four hospitals - the John Radcliffe Hospital
, Churchill Hospital
and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
in Headington and the Horton General Hospital
The dispensary team is a friendly and hardworking team of 28 staff ranging from band 2 Assistants through to band 7 Technicians. Many of our dispensary based team later go on to complete further training and take other roles within the wider Pharmacy team, this role is ideal for gaining experience to progress further in your management career.
This is a full-time dispensary based position, 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, with working hours of 9:00-17:15, however flexible working options would also be considered. You will also be required to participate in weekend working on a 1:6 rota basis, bank holiday, early and late duty rotas as per rota.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the job description attached detailing the role responsibilities and person specification.
Candidates not meeting the essential criteria listed in the person specification may be offered a band 5-6 progression, more information can be found in the 5-6 progression job description.Person SpecificationPerson SpecEssential
- Registered Pharmacy Technician with an NVQ3 in Pharmaceutical Science or other equivalent qualification.
- Previous pharmacy experience ideally including within the hospital setting.
- Proven experience of managing staff including leading and encouraging team working, recruitment and appraisal.
- Confidential and considerate to the needs of other staff.
- Accredited Technician Checker or willing to undertake
- Proven competency in writing implementing and monitoring procedures.
- Organised with the ability to prioritise workload and direct staff to designated tasks.
- Copes well under pressure and able to help others to do so.
- Proven time management and problem solving skills.
- Able to work as part of a team and also independently.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- NVQ Assessor (Cava Award or equivalent).
- Intermediate word and excel.
- Commitment to continuing Professional Development of self and others.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Proven experience of hospital pharmacy computer systems, including robotic dispensing.
- In-depth knowledge of Pharmacy Purchasing and stock control management
- Experience of Audit and Project work
- European Computer Driving License
- Experience of conducting Risk Assessments
- Experience of investigating incidents.
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
John Radcliffe Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.