To deliver a high standard of patient care whilst working as part of the Endoscopy Team and displaying a caring and professional attitude at all times. The post holder will be able to work in all areas of Endoscopy, including pre assessment, admission and recovery of patients, using specialised equipment and providing technical support during endoscopy procedures. They will also participate in the traceability and maintenance of endoscopes.
The post is based Monday to Sunday as well as on call responsibilities.Main duties of the job
We offer all of our team the learning opportunities within areas such as:
o Colonoscopies including NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
o Flexible Sigmoidoscopies
o All therapeutic interventions associated with these procedures.
o All training will be provided.
The primary aim of the Endoscopy Unit is to provide a high quality, comprehensive endoscopy facility for all of our patients. We aim to ensure that the service offered allows for sufficient capacity and facilities to offer our patients timely and appropriate care.
This is an exciting time to join the Endoscopy Department - we are developing new services and patient pathways including procedures such as PillCam (Colon Capsule), Nasoendoscopy and Cytosponge to be able to offer the patients of Bedfordshire innovative, patient centred care. You will have the opportunity to witness all these new procedures as well as working as per the key responsibilities below:About us
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarise yourself with all requirements of the job. Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesThe Job Description and Person Specification are attached to this job, please review for the full details and responsibilities.
- Preparation of endoscopy rooms and equipment needed for clinics, supervising junior staff as appropriate.
- To undertake pre-assessment for patients prior to their admission
- Responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care in line with research-based evidence, for individual and groups of patients, working within agreed policies and procedures.
- Reporting the condition of patients to medical staff, liaising with medical staff and receiving instructions. Ascertaining the prescribed medical treatment and ensuring its implementation. Reporting any concerns to Senior Staff.
- Work in all areas within endoscopy - pre-assessment, admissions, treatment rooms for all procedures, recovery and discharge. The procedures include assisting the Endoscopists with diagnostic and therapeutic Gastroscopies, colonoscopies, ERCPs, EBUS, Bronchoscopies and Cystoscopies for both inpatients and outpatients. There will be the need to carry out emergency procedures in critical care and theatres.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- RGN Level 1
- Registered with the NMC
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development
- MSPP or Equivalent
- Gastrointestinal nurses course
- Diploma/Degree in Health related subject
- Understanding the role of the Endoscopy Nurse
- Experience of Clincal Governance and Audit
- Experience of working in partnership with consultants to deliver clinical care
- Awareness of current nursing issues
- An understanding of JAG and GRS
- Knowledge of appropriate standards of external bodies
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- The ability to prioritise workload and patient care needs
- Basic IT skills
- Ability to prioritise care associated with changing environment and patient demands
- Previous endoscopy/gastroenterology experience
- Venepuncture and cannualtion skills
- Enthusiastic and Self Aware
- Creative and Flexible
- Team focused
- Ability to work in all areas of endoscopy
- Flexibility with regards to off duty requirements
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to participate in an on call service when required and when appropriately experienced to do so
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Bedford hospital South Wing
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.