This post will be ward based, providing specialist inpatient advice and assisting in the delivery of safe and effective care in the hospital setting for those patients with chronic and acute Respiratory Conditions.
The post holder will be:
Main duties of the job
- Crucial in ensuring the criteria for the National COPD and Asthma Audits are met and information collated, in line with BPT.
- Communicate effectively with patients and their carers/families, providing information and support so that they can make informed choices about their health and health care, seeking advice and guidance from senior nursing or medical colleagues where necessary
- They will increase communications between primary and secondary care to facilitate smooth and timely discharge.
- They will assist in the specialist education and support of ward staff as needed.
- To provide specialist support to the Early Supported Discharge service on a day to day basis.
- Assess, plan and implement holistic care programmes for respiratory patients using a range of methods
- Assist with the in-patient care and discharge planning of patients including those requiring supplementary oxygen, Non-Invasive Ventilation (NIV) and Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP). Initiating (when appropriate) inter-agency referrals to expedite discharge.
- Be competent in arterial blood gases and interpreting results ensuring appropriate and safe domiciliary oxygen prescribing.
- Provide appropriate advice, support to individuals with COPD and Asthma on self-management and inhaled therapy, referring to senior nursing and medical colleagues for advice when required.
- Prioritise work to make the most effective use of time and resources, managing own caseload and identifying when it is appropriate to seek support.
- Developing own clinical skills and knowledge within the specialty ensuring that it is within the scope of professional practice.
- The post holder will also support the Respiratory Early Supported Discharge Scheme (7day service)
Wye Valley NHS Trust is a member of an NHS Foundation Group with South Warwickshire NHS FT , the George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust and Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
Located on the border with Wales in the shadow of the Black Mountains, we provide acute and community services across Herefordshire and into parts of Powys and run Hereford County Hospital and the community hospitals in Bromyard, Leominster and Ross-on-Wye.
Worcestershire is our neighbouring county. The post holder will be required to travel between sites.
We are a progressive and forward looking trust with ambitious plans to improve quality and integrate patient pathways through close collaborative working with our partners to deliver the quality of care we'd want for our family and friends.
More than 3,500 people work for the Trust - they tell us it's a great place to work, blending the busyness of a DGH with the benefits of working in a beautiful rural and unspoilt county like Herefordshire.
We can offer a great work-life balance and have a fine tradition of working with staff to help them achieve their full potential.
Russell Hardy, Trust Chairman: The strength of the Trust is its amazing staff a great place to work, a great place to develop your career and a great place to reach your potential. Our values -Care, Accountability, Respect and Excellence - are at the heart of all we do. We believe in providing the right care in the right place at the right time...all the time.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For more information about the role and responsibilities please see the attached job description and person specification.Person SpecificationEducation & QualificationsEssential
Desirable Skills, Knowledge & AbilitiesEssential
- Degree Level Registered Nurse plus a service specific diploma as per below
- Willing to undertake further study within speciality
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to manage own time and prioritise
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to challenge and articulate opinion
- Significant Post registration experience
- Use own initiative and able to make decisions independently
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Previous experience working in Respiratory medicine
Wye Valley NHS TrustAddress
Wye Valley NHS Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.