The Urology Team at The Royal Marsden Hospital have an international reputation for high quality patient care, education and research and its partnership with the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) has created the largest comprehensive cancer centre in Europe.Applications are invited to fulfil a rare opportunity as a Surgical Care Practitioner. This post has recently become available and represents an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic and highly regarded surgical team.
The successful applicant will have experience within the theatre environment and a qualification. The successful applicant will work as an integral member of the Urology theatre team and should have completed or be undertaking training in the SCP pathway. Some experience of audit is also important for the role.
Applications are invited from trainee SCPs as well as those with experience. Trainees will be supported within their development within a Band 7 post, pending successful completion of the SCP pathway.Main duties of the job
With mentor support, the SCP will integrate into the existing surgical team to carry out their extended roles which will include Urology diagnostic procedures, preparation of the Urology surgical patient and Bedside assisting with urological surgical procedures. They will act as a highly specialised role model and leader for all members of staff, and play a major role in the continuous development of the services within the Trust and as a potential member of a range of trust quality/process improvement project groups.About us
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification:
- To integrate into the existing clinical structure and to support other professionals to manage the surgical patient pathways by collaborating with other principal team members.
- The SCP will undertake advanced practice in the bedside assistance of patients undergoing robotic or laparoscopic urology procedures including patient set up, placement of ports, application of haemostatic clips, drain placement, wound closure and theatre turn around.
- Advising of Theatre list capacity in conjunction with the theatre scheduling team. Reviews patients progress post procedure with the surgical team on a daily basis.
- Carry out advanced practice procedures, e.g. bladder irrigation, catheterisation (urethral and suprapubic), flexible cystoscopy, prostate biopsy
- First level registration
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- First level degree in relevant subject
- Higher degree or currently undertaking one Theatre qualification
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Teaching/mentorship qualification/experience
- Surgical First Assistants qualification
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Hospital Chelsea
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.