Undertakes unsupervised Clinical Neurophysiological tests on patients (adults and children) to aid in the clinical diagnosis interprets results and provides factual reports (e.g. Routine, Sleep and Sedation EEGs).
Undertakes unsupervised specialist Clinical Neurophysiological tests to aid in the clinical diagnosis interprets results and provides factual reports (e.g. Ambulatory EEG, CTS NCS).
Produces clinical reports for issuing to referring clinicians on normal EEGs, normal and abnormal CTS NCS as per departmental guidelines.
Undertakes clinical supervision and training of trainees/students and other professions.
Takes part in audit and clinical research.Main duties of the job
We are seeking to appoint a Specialised Clinical Physiologist (Neurophysiology) who will support all aspects of the service as outlined in the job description.
- To perform routine EEG/sleep EEG recordings on adults and children as outpatients both onsite and offsite and inpatients onsite whilst awake, adapting the technique where necessary to accommodate the clinical state (such as psychological, emotional and aggressive) and degree of co-operation of the patient (such as learning disabilities and challenging behaviours).
- Use telemetry (video) equipment during the EEG recordings having obtained written consent.
- Advise patients before leaving the department of any necessary precautions around photosensitivity and sedation.
- To transport portable equipment from the department to the ward to to perform EEG recordings at the bedside, adapting the technique where necessary to accommodate the clinical state (such as psychological, emotional and aggressive) and degree of co-operation of the patient (such as learning disabilities and challenging behaviours).
- To utilise digital EEG software to produce a detailed factual report on EEG recordings for viewing by the Consultant Neurophysiologist.
- Perform nerve conduction studies for Carpal Tunnel Screening on adults as outpatients both onsite and offsite.
- Provide normal and abnormal report for CTS NCS.
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust is an integrated Trust and the only provider of NHS acute care in Walsall, serving a population of 286,700, providing inpatient and outpatient services at the Manor Hospital as well as a wide range of services in the community. Walsall Manor Hospital houses the full rage of district general hospital services under one roof. The �170 million development of our Pleck Road site was completed in 2010 and the continued and the continued upgrading of existing areas ensures the Trust now has a state-of-the-art Critical Care Unit, Neonatal Unit, Obstetric Theatre and Integrated Assessment Unit facilities. Our new Emergency Department (including Children's Emergency Department), co-located Paediatric Assessment Unit, Acute Medical Unit and Urgent Care Centre opened earlier this year.
We provide high quality, friendly and effective community health services from some 60 sites including Health Centres and GP surgeries. Covering Walsall and beyond, our multidisciplinary services include rapid response in the community and home-based care, so that those with long-term conditions and the frail and elderly, can remain in their own homes to be cared for wherever appropriate.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached Job Description and Personal Specifications for further information on the role.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- BSc (Hons) Clinical Physiology (Neurophysiology) or equivalent formal specialist training (other appropriate qualifications eg. BTEC HCS/D in MPPM or equivalent experience and professional exam ECNE Part 1)
- Knowledge of specialist procedure (CTS NCS) acquired through specialist courses or training/experience to specialist level
- Knowledge of specialist procedure (Ambulatory EEG) acquired through specialist courses or training/experience to specialist level
- Working towards voluntary RCCP registration
- ECNE Part II
- Training and Assessing experience/qualifications
- 2 years appropriate post graduate experience or 4 years post basic qualification experience
- Practical experience, familiarity and ability to perform a wide range of basic and specialist neurophysiology investigations and/or have knowledge of specialist neurophysiological techniques
- Able to interpret specialist neurophysiological investigation results and patient conditions
- Able to advise Trainee Clinical Physiologists (Neurophysiology)
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to undertake complex hand-eye co-ordination tasks such as electrode placement and dexterity and co-ordination for use of diagnostic equipment e.g. applying large number of electrodes on a neonate in special care conditions
Walsall Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
WALSALL MANOR HOSPITAL
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.