We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic Occupational Therapist to join our established Children's Occupational Therapy Team in Northumberland. This is a Band 6 post but Band 5 can apply and we would support this through a competency framework to achieve Band 6 status within 12-18 months.
Your job will be to provide specialised Occupational Therapy assessment and management of children with varying needs in community settings, special schools, mainstream schools and homes. As part of this role you will be expected to work closely with the established multi-professional team, support the team lead in new service development activities, regular audits and staff training.
This vacancy is also open to newly qualified OT's as a Band 5-6 development opportunity.
This post falls within the provisions of Agenda for Change Annex 20 - Development of Professional Roles, whereby upon completion of an agreed set of competencies you may move onto the next pay band without the need for an application for a post at a higher level.
For further information on Annex 20, please see:
http://www.nhsemployers.org/tchandbook/annex-16-to-20/annex-20-development-of-professional-rolesMain duties of the job
- To assess and review level of need and to organise this effectively and efficiently with regard for clinical priorities and time management.
- To select and apply Occupational Therapy assessments in paediatrics, addressing occupational performance and skill deficits, enabling the child to maximise functional independence in all areas of everyday activities.
- To work with children and their families to identify OT goals.
- Monitor, evaluate and modify interventions in order to measure progress and ensure effectiveness. Alter and revise planned interventions as a result of changes in an individual's level of function or circumstances.
- To assess and identify from a range of options, specific specialised children's equipment to meet individual children's postural and functional needs
- To regularly supervise students on practice placement.
- To clinically supervise junior staff
We manage three major locality hospitals at North Tyneside, Wansbeck and Hexham, plus a number of smaller community hospitals and clinics from Tynemouth to Berwick on Tweed, in addition to our state-of-the-art Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital, the first of its kind in England. We also care for people in their homes and provide services from facilities in local communities such as health centres. We give people greater choice and control over their care to help them to live independently at home and avoid hospital admission where appropriate. High quality patient care is at the heart of everything we do and we strive to ensure every single patient and service user has an exceptional experience with us. We have one of the most extensive patient experience programmes of any trust in England.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Experience in Occupational Therapy across a range of clinical areas (adults or paediatrics) including: Neurological, community and equipment experience
- Able to demonstrate breadth and depth of knowledge of current best practice in across multiple areas of Occupational Therapy
- Demonstrates advanced clinical reasoning skills
- Ability to recognise own professional limitations and seek appropriate supervision
- Self-reliant, autonomous practitioner
- Able to manage own caseload
- Experience in being part of a multidisciplinary and multi-agency team
- Well-established knowledge of a broad range of assessment tools and of appropriate therapeutic interventions.
- Diploma/degree in OT
- HPC registered
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Membership of professional body
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Child Health - Wansbeck General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.