The Paediatrics Sister/Charge Nurse in Emergency Care will be responsible to the Matron and the Trust, jointly contributing and assisting with service delivery for the Emergency Department and the Medical Division. The role incorporates a 24-hour responsibility managing and effectively leading the clinical nursing team alongside other agencies. The post holder will be a role model, providing regular direct clinical care. The post holder is required to hold a registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council and maintain standards in accordance with UK law, the NMC, Trust and EU guidelines. The Paediatric Sister / Charge Nurse in Emergency Care will report to the Matron, with responsibility to ensure safe workforce and staff development are in place to ensure delivery of quality, safety, financial and workforce targets and be professionally accountable to the Divisional Director for Quality and Nursing for Medicine.Main duties of the job
1. Highly visible, accessible, authoritative and influential figure on whom staff, patients, families and carers can rely, to ensure the fundamentals of care are delivered effectively and efficiently.
2. Provide professional leadership to nurses, midwives and students, acting as a role model within the department, medical division and the Trust ensuring that competence in managerial and clinical practice is both developed and maintained.
3. The post holder will be expected to take a lead on bed management, coordinating admissions and transfers of patients from and to the Unit to maintain good patient flow.
4. Provide assurance to the Chief Nurse and Divisional Director for Quality and Nursing that there is continuous improvement in the delivery of clinical services within the Department and are tailored to the needs of the patients.
5. Provide clear clinical leadership for nursing, working flexibly as a member of the Emergency department team to ensure standards are being maintained, evaluated and where necessary improved.
6. The post holder will deputies for the Senior Sister if required.
7. Support the development of nursing skills in all aspects of the role providing expert clinical knowledge and specialized advice.
8. Provide nursing leadership, set and maintain professional nursing standards, provide professional nursing advice and direction to the staff.About us
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the largest employer in the county and with over 8,000 staff, we are one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK. We offer a generous annual leave allowance, excellent bank rates, access to the excellent NHS Pension Scheme, discounts for local shops, restaurants and services, access to our health and well-being hub, access to our two on-site nurseries, flexible working options, discounted public transport, reward and recognition schemes, exercise and activity classes and membership to our popular hospital choir.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
KEY RESULT AREAS
Deliver the outcomes and measures for patient safety as identified in the Trusts for the Emergency Department, ensuring that day to day delivery is timely and safe, supporting the organisation to meet the corporate agenda for example, Care Quality Commission and legislation.
To facilitate complex care, discharge or patient care issues or complaints using analytical skills to problem solve and find solutions to ensure best practice and best patient care outcomes are achieved.
Be responsible for ensuring compliance with all NMC professional codes both personally and for the nursing team.
Act as a role model for nurses within the department, promoting and demonstrating the standards of care expected. Contribute to nursing teams utilising shared governance to continuously improve standards.
Provide an integral role to ensure the management and prevention of hospital-acquired infection in liaison with Infection Control Team and governmental standards.
Ensure clinical governance agenda encompasses continual quality improvement that focuses on reducing risk and developing efficiency and quality in care.
Protect and enhance the Trust high standard of reputation. This will involve reporting to the Matron any investigations and resolutions of patient complaints
To support the organisation in meeting the quality agenda and embedding it into practice including:
Public, patient involvement
Recruitment and Retention
Infection prevention and control
Care of Learning disabilities patients in the area of specialty
Safe environment for patients, staff and visitors
Nutritional Screening Slips, Trips and Falls
Safeguarding Agenda for Vulnerable Adults and Children
Undertake inspections/audits of clinical areas in order to maintain standards.
Utilise complaints as a resource from which to improve.
Improve the patient experience.
Provide support to patients relatives, carers and staff in the delivery of nursing care.
Lead, inspire and co-ordinate by motivation, the development and implementation of nursing and midwifery care standards, encompassing the Essence of Care philosophy, against recognised best practice, facilitating continuous review, benchmarking and improvement.
Please see JD and PS separatePerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Active registration with the NMC or HCPC United Kingdom
- Recognised Degree/ Diploma in Nursing
- Paediatric Immediate Life Support
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support/ European Paediatric Advanced if Support
- Minor Injury/illness
Knowledge / SkillsEssential
- Experience (through employment) of working in an acute clinical environment
- Enhanced Knowledge and experience of working as a Senior Staff Nurse.
- Experience of Essential Emergency Department Areas. Resus, Triage and Ambulance handover
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrates ability to use clinical reasoning skills and techniques to assess, plan, deliver and evaluate patient care
- Demonstrates ability to keep up to date with professional issues that influence nursing practice relating to area of clinical practice, management, education and research.
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Gloucester / Cheltenham
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.