An exciting and unique opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic, dynamic and self-motivated professional to join our aseptic team at the Sutton site of the Royal Marsden.You will be part of a team consisting of Pharmacists, Technicians and Assistants, who are always striving for excellence in all aspects of our work. We are working collaboratively as part of a Multi-Disciplinary Team to ensure we always deliver outstanding care to our patients.
This is an exciting time to join the Royal Marsden Hospital Aseptic Department. Our service is built around providing a high-quality service to our patients and staff of the Trust. The Oak Cancer Centre (a new, state-of-the-art treatment and research facility) was opened in June 2023 in Sutton which will speed up the translation of world-leading research into breakthroughs in treatment and care, transforming the lives of cancer patients at The Royal Marsden and beyond.Over the next 1-2 years we are planning to build a new aseptic facility on our Sutton site.The hospital recently introduced the EPIC digital health record system - and we are looking to use the full capabilities of this system to support the pharmacy aseptic service and become a truly paperless department.Main duties of the job
The Job Description outlines the roles of the Senior Technician, Aseptic Services. You will work closely with and support the Deputy Chief Technician in the day to day running of the Technical Services aseptic suite, providing a quality, GMP compliant service, supplying aseptically prepared medicines including clinical trials, in a timely manner to all service users.
You will act as a supervisor under the direction of the Deputy Chief Technician in the aseptic suite or its support areas and to line manage and act as a role model for junior members of staff.About us
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification.
- Support the maintenance and development of the highest standards of patient-focused care in the provision of aseptic services to all patients at the Sutton site of the Royal Marsden.
- Participate in the education and training of pharmacists, technicians & assistants in aseptic services.
- Line manage and appraise junior members of the team and support the training and development of Pharmacy Technicians, Aseptic Services Technicians and Assistants working within the aseptic unit.
- Support the effective use of resources, including medicines, within the aseptic unit to minimise wastage.
- Plan and prioritise workload and supervise staff and processes in aseptic unit and support areas.
- Participate in the education and training of Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Aseptic Services Technicians and Assistants Officers relevant to new products or processes (Commercial and Clinical Trial)
- Educated to A level and/or degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences or equivalent
- Science Manufacturing Technician Level 3, BTEC in Pharmaceutical Sciences or NVQ Level 3 in Pharmacy Services or equivalent Technical Modules or equivalent experience.
- Registered with General Pharmaceutical Council
- Post qualification course on aseptic preparation and dispensing of medicines/GMP/QA or equivalent.
- Practice supervisor / Educational supervisor / Train the Trainer or equivalent
- Accredited Checking Pharmacy Technician (ACPT) qualification or working towards ACPT qualification.
- Experience of working in an aseptic unit in a hospital or industry aseptic facility
- Appropriate experience in aseptic compounding.
- Experience in staff training in a hospital or industry aseptic facility.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP).
- Validation, accreditation & training records.
- Knowledge of principles and practice of Quality Assurance (QA) in an unlicensed unit.
- Clinical trial experience and understanding of Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Working knowledge/experience of writing SOPs
- Knowledge of chemotherapy and safe handling requirements of cytotoxic drugs and preparing cytotoxic chemotherapy.
- Experience as a team leader or supervisor of staff members.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and act as a role model
- Effective interpersonal skills with particular ability to communicate in clear English with staff members, members of the public and healthcare professionals.
- Good time management, organised and planning skills ability to meet deadlines and prioritise workload for self and others.
- Able to work effectively and accurately and follow written procedures under pressure.
- Quality-oriented strives for continuous improvement.
- Ability to be supportive and demonstrate selfmotivation and to motivate others.
- Calm under pressure and ability to concentrate and work accurately for prolonged period of times with frequent and unpredictable interruptions.
- Computer literate - Ability to use Microsoft office applications e.g. Word, excel and outlook.
- Good leadership qualities: able to take responsibility and to delegate effectively and able to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to gown into cleanroom.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Use of pharmacy computer systems and knowledge of EPIC.
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Sutton
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.