We are delighted to announce an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Specialist Dietitian to work across County Durham and Darlington Community Adult Learning Disability teams. This busy and rewarding post will provide a rare opportunity to further develop your knowledge and skills in the specialist field of Learning Disabilities and Mental Health. This is an exciting opportunity for the successful post holder to be instrumental in continuing to develop our LD dietetic service in the region, under the guidance of an LD Lead dietitian and alongside a Band 4 Associate Practitioner and Band 5 Dietitian.
This role has a strong emphasis on the management of obesity and associated long term health problems, oral nutrition support and health promotion. Our Trust is part of a regional weight management plan A Weight Off Your Mind which aims to address the weight management needs of people with mental illness and/or learning disabilities in our care. We recognise this is a health inequality issue and we want to bring the physical health, life expectancy and quality of life of our service users in line with those of the general population. The successful post holder will be enthusiastic about working with this client group have a warm, compassionate manner and an appreciation of the challenges that individuals with an LD experience.Main duties of the job
This role requires excellent time management and organisational skills and the ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team.
The successful candidate would need to be capable of independent travel. Staff Wellbeing is a Trust Priority and we support maintaining a positive work life balance.
In addition to a robust clinical and managerial supervision structure, we have bi-monthly speciality dietetic team meetings to develop your skills and to provide peer support. The post holder will have access to both formal and informal training and will be supported to engage with the complex needs of this client group. There are regular opportunities to network with colleagues to share best practice and to celebrate our successes as a profession working within Mental Health and Learning Disabilities. Dietitians within TEWV work closely with other health care professionals and Multi-disciplinary team work is integral to dietetic care. Our Trust is committed to providing first class Continuous Professional Development (CPD). With this role, comes the opportunity to participate in policy development, audit, research activities, pathway development, staff and student training. We offer placements for students on the MSc pre-registration course in Dietetics at Teesside University. This is a very exciting new development for our local area. We are keen to support involvement in student training.About us
TEWV provides specialist care across Teesside, Darlington, County Durham, North Yorkshire and the Vale of York. The successful post holder will be a valued part of a supportive, wider dietetic team which covers Adult Mental Health, Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Eating Disorders, Mental Health Services for Older People and Secure Inpatient Services. The dynamic dietetic team is supported by our Professional Head of Dietetics and highly skilled Lead dietitians. The TEWV Dietetic Team is the largest and most established specialist Mental Health and Learning Disability dietetic team in the UK and has strong links with the British Dietetic Association (BDA) and Mental Health Specialist Group of the BDA.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the attached job description for further detailed information regarding the role and main responsibilities.
Some of the benefits for staff working in the Trust include:
- Travel:Free parking, car sharing scheme (via Lift Share), Business Car Lease Scheme, Non Business Use Car Lease Scheme and Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Staff Wellbeing:Access to Trust gyms, rapid access to an independent counselling service, rapid access to physiotherapy, Occupational Health Services, free flu vaccinations at/near your place of work, dedicated Employee Support Service, Mindfulness Training, access to the Employee Psychology Service and Staff Retreats.
- Rewarding Employment Practices:Staff Compact, career development, Quality Improvement Systems (QIS), ability to purchase additional annual leave, career breaks, flexible working, Investors in People, childcare vouchers, nursery provision, pre-retirement provision, retirement gift, access to canteens and coffee shops, access to the Chaplaincy Service, staff surveys/experience, staff awards, long service recognition award and gift, Christmas savings club, staff lottery and access to Health Service Discounts
For further information, please contact Professional Head of Dietetics, Angela Norris (firstname.lastname@example.org).Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Experience of working in nutrition support and weight management
- Experience of working with clients with mental health and/or a learning disability
- Ability to solve complex clinical problems
- Counselling, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Motivational Interviewing skills.
- Knowledge of health inequalities in LD
Employer detailsEmployer name
- B.Sc. (hons.) in Dietetics or post graduate diploma in Dietetics
- Registration with HCPC
- British Dietetic Association accredited course(s) in relevant specialist area (or willing to undertake within agreed timescale)
- BDA Clinical Supervisory Skills course.
- Behaviour Change Course Level 1 (or willing to undertake within an agreed timescale)
- Certificate in Food Hygiene (or willingness to undertake within agreed timescale)
- Trust training in Appraisal and Recruitment (or willingness to undertake within agreed timescale)
- Numeracy, Literacy and ITQ level 2 (or equivalent)
Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Lanchester Road Hospital (however base in negotiable)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.