For this role we are very happy to consider both consultant and locum consultant applications.
We have an Outstanding rating from the Care Quality Commission, our staff survey results are one of the best in the country, we are leaders in digital maturity and that we have a mature Quality Improvement (QI) approach to innovation and development. We are also very popular with the trainee doctors, are viewed as extremely helpful, supportive and get excellent feedback.
For International Medical Graduates we will support you to get Section 12 and Approved Clinician status and also in the longer term via CESR we will support you to become substantive consultants on the GMC specialist register. That being said we treat all of our consultants the same and as far as we are concerned a consultant is a consultant whether they are on the specialist register or not.
For consultants there is the chance to pursue your own interests, so if they lie in R& D, QI, or management & leadership well support you.
In 2021 Berkshire Healthcare was 4th out of the 48 community and mental health trusts for the number of research projects we recruited to. We have refreshed our research strategy and are looking for enthusiastic colleagues to develop and implement the Trusts research programme.
QI the Trust is very active in terms of quality improvement. Including the opportunity to gain fully accredited QI qualifications.Main duties of the job
Please see the attached Consultant Job Description together with the person specification for this role.About us
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (BHFT) was formed in April 2001 and successfully became licensed as a Foundation Trust in May 2007. The Trust is the provider of specialist mental health and learning disability services to a population of c 816,000 within Berkshire. In April 2011 the community services which were previously the provider arms of NHS Berkshire East and NHS Berkshire West PCTs merged with the Trust. BHFT is situated in the centre of the NHS South of England Health Authority.
The main centres of population are Reading in the West of the County and Slough in the East. Within Berkshire there are also major populations at Newbury and Wokingham in the West and Bracknell, Maidenhead, Windsor and Ascot in the East, as well and many significant urban developments in smaller towns forming essentially a single conurbation along the M4 Corridor.
Berkshire is characterised by concentrations of population and large rural areas. It includes some of the most affluent and least deprived communities in the country, but also has pockets of markedly deprived wards. On 1st April 2018 the seven CCGs merged into 2 larger groups (Berkshire West CCG covering Reading, Wokingham and Newbury and the East Berkshire CCG covering Slough, Windsor, Ascot, Maidenhead and Bracknell).Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the attached Consultant General Info, Job Description together with the person specification for this role.
Full job descriptions for each post available on request from Ian Stephenson, Medical Staffing Manager Ian.Stephenson@berkshire.nhs.uk
We invite you to discuss the Consultant Psychiatrist posts on our General Adult Inpatient wards with Dr Navjyot Sodhi, Associate Medical Director email@example.comPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Section 12 (Mental Health Act) Approved or eligible
- Hold Approved Clinician [AC] status or be eligible
- Higher specialist training in psychiatry in approved training post for a minimum of three years, or previous consultant experience relevant to this post
- CCT in Psychiatry OR Inclusion on the GMC Specialist Register in psychiatry
- Higher degree or equivalent in relevant field of medical, psychological or other studies
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, or equivalent qualification (in accordance with the Guidelines from the Royal College of Psychiatry)
- Sub-speciality or other specialist clinical training relevant to post
- Has worked in a senior non-consultant level post in acute adult psychiatry, within an inpatient and/or community setting.
- Ability to undertake full range of consultant responsibilities.
- Application of evidence-based practice and interest in clinical and policy developments for this care group.
- Development of services within inpatient settings.
- Ability to work within a collaborative multidisciplinary framework, and to share leadership responsibilities with senior colleagues of other professions.
- Ability to understand how organisations work most effectively.
- Commitment to interagency partnership working.
- Ability to demonstrate and promote effective team working.
- Capacity to prioritise and manage workload to ensure highest quality patient care
- Active participation in clinical audit, both local and national.
- Must have good skills in communication with patients, relatives, carers, colleagues and staff of other organisations.
- Must remain accessible through appropriate communication channels- emails, phone and in person.
- Must be skilled in professional collaboration and relationship building to ensure full benefits of MDT working are realized.
- Experience in supporting psychiatric trainees.
- Must have an interest in and commitment to working with acute psychiatric patients.
- High levels of energy, motivation, resilience and initiative.
- Full Registration with a licence to practice.
- Meet specifications set out in the GMC Guidance: Duties of a Doctor.
- Mobility necessary to fulfil requirements of post.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Relevant experience of the administrative, management and leadership roles of senior medical staff.
- Inter-agency partnership working.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate medical teaching.
- Research experience and skills.
- Car driver with own car.
Berkshire Healthcare Foundation TrustAddress
Prospect Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.