Ward Based Respiratory Nurse Band 6
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Respiratory Team at Wye valley NHS Trust Hereford, who have a vacancy for a 6 month secondment for a Band 6 Ward Based Respiratory Nurse
This is a fantastic opportunity to expand and enhance your specialist knowledge and skills within the respiratory discipline. You will work predominantly on Arrow our busy Respiratory Ward, which provides high quality care to patients with acute and chronic respiratory conditions but will also review outliers on other wards.
The applicant will work closely with the ward consultants and respiratory practitioners and will
- Be crucial in ensuring the criteria for the National COPD and Asthma Audits are met and information collated, in line with BPT
- Communicate effectively with patients and their carers /families, providing information and support so that they can make informed choices
- Increase communications between primary and secondary care to facilitate smooth and timely discharge
- Will assist in the specialist education and support of ward staff
- Supporting the Early Respiratory Discharge Service by providing clinical advice, support and management plans.
The applicant will be able to demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, be flexible, resilient and able to influence change in order to cope with the changing demands of the role.Main duties of the job
- Assess, plan and implement holistic care programmes for patients using a range of methods
- Assist with the in-patient care and discharge planning of patients including those requiring supplementary oxygen, Non-Invasive Ventilation (NIV) and Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP). Initiating (when appropriate) inter-agency referrals to expedite discharge.
- Be competent in arterial blood gases and interpreting results ensuring appropriate and safe domiciliary oxygen prescribing.
- Develop effective care programmes to meet the changing needs of individuals seeking advice and guidance from senior nursing or medical colleagues as necessary.
- Work effectively as part of a team to meet individual needs, developing the knowledge and skills to undertake specific interventions consistent with research evidence and in ways that are appropriate to individual needs, context and culture.
- Provide appropriate advice, support to individuals with COPD and Asthma on self-management and inhaled therapy, referring to senior nursing
Wye Valley NHS Trust is a member of an NHS Foundation Group with South Warwickshire NHS FT , the George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust and Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
Located on the border with Wales in the shadow of the Black Mountains, we provide acute and community services across Herefordshire and into parts of Powys and run Hereford County Hospital and the community hospitals in Bromyard, Leominster and Ross-on-Wye.
Worcestershire is our neighbouring county. The post holder will be required to travel between sites.
We are a progressive and forward looking trust with ambitious plans to improve quality and integrate patient pathways through close collaborative working with our partners to deliver the quality of care we'd want for our family and friends.
More than 3,500 people work for the Trust - they tell us it's a great place to work, blending the busyness of a DGH with the benefits of working in a beautiful rural and unspoilt county like Herefordshire.
We can offer a great work-life balance and have a fine tradition of working with staff to help them achieve their full potential.
Russell Hardy, Trust Chairman: The strength of the Trust is its amazing staff a great place to work, a great place to develop your career and a great place to reach your potential. Our values -Care, Accountability, Respect and Excellence - are at the heart of all we do. We believe in providing the right care in the right place at the right time...all the time.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For more information about the role and responsibilities please see the attached job description and person specification.Person SpecificationEducation and QualificationsEssential
- Degree level registration
- Willing to undertake further study within speciality
Skills, Knowledge and AbilitiesEssential
- COPD Diploma
- Asthma Diploma
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to manage own time and prioritise
- Ability to work Autonomously
- Significant post registration experience
- Previous experience working in Respiratory Medicine
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to use own initiative and make decisions independently
Wye Valley NHS TrustAddress
Wye Valley NHS Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.