We are recruiting for a Assistant Physicist who shares our vision to be trusted to provide consistently outstanding care and exemplary service to our patients.
The successful candidate will join the DR& RP physics department which works as part of multi-disciplinary teams at a number of NHS Trusts. We are part of a larger physics workforce at based Mount Vernon Cancer Centre. The DR& RP section consists of Clinical Scientists and technologists who work with radiographers and radiologists at a number of Trusts. The department work with a wide range of x-ray imaging systems across a range of modalities and manufacturers including advanced CT, mammography and interventional radiology systems.
When applying for this position, please make sure to answer the questions below within your supporting statement:
1.How do you demonstrate that you work to the Trust Values: include examples from outside of your work/study experience.
2.Please explain why you want to work in DR& RP physics.
Our Values are Include, Respect and Improve. It is important that you understand and refer to our values during your recruitment process and beyond!Main duties of the job
To perform quality assurance tests on a range of x-ray imaging systems.
To support clinical scientists in auditing patient radiation dose, performing radiation surveys, commissioning advanced imaging systems.
Travel between Hospital sites by car is a required for the role.
Analyse data gathered on radiation safety and quality assurance surveys and prepare reports with recommendations for correction or improvement.
In conjunction with a Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA), perform Critical Examinations on new installations as required.
Collaborate in the maintenance and development of procedures and work instructions related to the post-holder's areas of work.
Assist in providing technical support, referring complex problems to a senior member of the scientific team, as appropriate.About us
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
ENHT is seeking to maintain and expand the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre staff as we move to an exciting new future.
We welcome applications from those who would relish the opportunity to be part of new and developing cancer service, building on the excellent reputation, research and patient experience the Cancer Centre already delivers.
In addition, you will receive a High Cost Area Supplement of 15% of your basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of �4,314 and a maximum payment of �5,436 per annum pro rata.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.Person SpecificationEducation and QualificationsEssential
- Degree or equivalent in a Physical Science or Engineering Discipline, involving data measurement and analysis
- Medical physics component to degree or MSc in medical physics
- Registration as a Clinical Technologist
- Qualification as a healthcare science practitioner
- Project work involving extensive measurement and analysis of data
- Experience of being able to interact with a range of staff from a variety of backgrounds
- Experience in the use of testing equipment employed to measure the safety and performance of x-ray imaging equipment and in interpreting results
- Experience of radiation safety aspects of work with ionising radiation (X-rays and radioactive materials).
- Experience in the use of testing equipment employed to measure the safety and performance of x-ray imaging equipment and in interpreting results.
- Understanding of patient and staff risks arising from ionising radiation exposure
- Knowledge of clinical uses of radiology imaging equipment
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation, national standards, professional and other guidelines. [e.g. IRR, IR(ME)R, IPEM guidelines etc].
- Knowledge of diagnostic radiology QA techniques
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Must be able to concentrate where the work pattern is unpredictable
- Be flexible in their approach to coordinating workload
- Be prepared to work in an environment where there is a radiation hazard
- Computer literate - able to use Excel and Word
- Manual dexterity
- Highly developed physical accuracy and hand -eye coordination[eg when accurately setting up specialised dosimetry equipment]
- Good spatial awareness skills
- Able to travel, with heavy equipment, to remote locations up to 50 miles away from base
East and North Herts NHS TrustAddress
Mount Vernon Cancer Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.