The post holder will undertake a 12-14 month training programme as a Healthcare Science Level 2 Apprentice within the Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust (CHFT). It is also an exciting opportunity to work in the new Community Diagnostic Centres (CDC's) Spoke and Hub in the heart of the Halifax and Huddersfield communities. Formal training will be given where the successful candidate can learn and develop skills and knowledge relating to working in a busy cardio-respiratory department and by undertaking basic cardiology and respiratory diagnostic tests. Study will take place in partnership with the Sheffield College.
This is a full-time post and there is an expectation that the apprentice will need to commit to self-directed study, attend Sheffield college virtually and in person, and successfully complete the training programme within the contract period. The post holder will receive 20% off the job training to fulfil the apprenticeship standard. On successful completion of the apprenticeship and probationary period the post holder will be offered a permanent post of Cardio-Respiratory Healthcare Science Assistant (Band 2).Main duties of the jobAs an apprentice all tasks will be under direct supervision until competency through formal assessment is achieved and will include the following main duties within the cardiorespiratory department:
- To perform routine and urgent electrocardiograms.
- To perform routine and urgent spirometry.
- To perform and measure automatic and manual blood pressure measurements.
- To obtain venous blood samples.
- To set up and fit a cardiac monitor, 24-hour ambulatory ECG monitor, and a 24hr ambulatory blood pressure monitor.
- To prepare equipment and clinical areas for other diagnostic cardiology tests.
- To support cardiology reception/clerical administration as required.
- To handle and store equipment and consumables within accepted and safe limits.
We employ more than 6,500 staffwho deliver compassionate care from our two main hospitals,Calderdale Royal Hospital and Huddersfield Royal Infirmary as well as in community sites, healthcentres and in patients' homes. We also are incredibly proud to have almost 150 volunteers here at CHFT.
We provide a range of services including urgent and emergency care medical surgical maternity gynaecology critical care children's and young people's services end of life care and outpatient and diagnostic imaging services.
We provide community health services, including sexual health services in Calderdale from Calderdale Royal and local health centres. These include Todmorden Health Centre and Broad Street Plaza.
We continue to modernise and invest in our health services to build on our strong reputation.Foundation trusts are public leaders in improving quality in health services. They are part of the NHS- yet decisions about what they do and how they do it are driven by independent boards. Boardslisten to their Council of Governors and respond to the needs of their members - patients, staff andthe local community.
Foundation trusts provide what the health service wants, yet are also free to invest quickly in thechanges to the local community needs, in striving to be the best, and in putting their patients first.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationQUALIFICATIONS / TRAININGEssential
- To record electrocardiograms and produce a report
- To perform spirometry and produce a report
- To perform and measure automatic and manual blood pressure measurements
- To obtain venous blood samples when needed
- To set up and fit a cardiac monitor, 24-hour ambulatory ECG monitor, and a 24hr ambulatory blood pressure monitor
- To prepare equipment and clinical areas for Cardiology investigations
- Receive and assist patients and/or carers to prepare for Cardiology investigations
- Obtain additional information that will assist with planning and preparing of Cardiology investigations
- Support patients and/or carers during investigative Cardiology procedures
- To take an active role in the resuscitation of patients (Basic Life Support)
- To give support advise to patients and/or carers/medical team following completion of investigative Cardiology procedures
- To organise the patient journey and assist in the Cardiology clinics if required
- To chaperone Cardiology medical staff in the above
- Follow manufacturers/protocol instructions and operate equipment
- Assess and maintain equipment and devices for safe use during Cardio-respiratory investigations
- Report faulty equipment to the Team Leader
- Communicate technical equipment-related information to healthcare colleagues, patients, carers, and suppliers
- Use safe manual handling techniques when moving both patients and equipment
- Contacts medical/nursing staff to advise of adverse/life-threatening test results
- Follow departmental and national policies and procedures to maintain safe practice
- To undertake clerical duties as required including sending out appointments using the trust systems, filing, photocopying, and handling incoming and outgoing post
- To organise and prepare patients information, ready for investigation collect notes and identify as correct on equipment as necessary
- Records personally generated information and update records. Also to learn how to input results of investigations performed by other members of staff
- To attend to general tidiness of department including unpacking and storage of ward stock deliveries
- Assist with maintaining stock levels and supplies.
- To answer the telephone and relay messages appropriately
- To undertake department errands as required
- Assist in the safe use, custody and maintenance of equipment, utilising resources effectively and efficiently.
- When required to, act flexibly within the role which may include moving to other sites within the trust and/or change to duties in consultation with your line manager.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISEEssential
- 5 GCSE's 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent academic qualifications - must include Maths, English, and Science
- Willingness to undertake any training or development relevant to the role
- Committed to complete the Level 2 Cardio-Respiratory Apprenticeship in Healthcare Science
COMMUNICATION AND RELATIONSHIPS (INCLUDING MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES)Essential
- Experience of working within a healthcare setting
- Experience of working in a customer service setting
- Insight into roles and responsibilities of the post.
- Demonstrate a commitment to a caring profession
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Good interpersonal skills
- Professional approach, friendly, confident, and motivated
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Ability to prioritise work
Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Calderdale Royal Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.