We are keen to hear from applicants with management experience who are already currently working within the research setting in the NHS. The post holder will have accountability for the delivery and operational management of a busy research unit, in Sarcoma cancer. The successful post holder will be expected to manage a budget and line management a team.Main duties of the job
- Co-develop and be responsible for the operational delivery of the strategy of the sarcoma clinical research unit, in conjunction with the consultants / researchers and Lead Research Nurse.
- Lead on business development in the sarcoma clinical research unit, to develop a sustainable portfolio of commercial and non-commercial research in addition to investigator-initiated trials.
- Be a key member of the sarcoma clinical research unit team responsible for coordinating with the clinical and medical members of the team, providing information as required regarding the portfolio and updates.
- Represent the sarcoma clinical research unit at relevant meetings, e.g. the Clinical Unit Research Operations Leads meeting, ensuring that the team remains well networked with other units across the Clinical Research Directorate and up-to-date regarding changes and new developments.
- Work with the Lead Research Nurse to ensure deployment of clinical skill and expertise as required.
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.
At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.
At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification
Person SpecificationEducation / QualificationsEssential
- Oversee the collection and entry of data into relevant case report forms and into trial databases in a timely manner, and the correct updating of the data validation tool to record patient visits and raise correct invoices in a timely manner.
- Lead on the development and implementation of procedures to ensure continued streamlining and efficient delivery of all clinical trials within the portfolio.
- Meet with the administrative, operational, clinical and consultant colleagues regularly to ensure efficient management of the trials running, providing support and advice on logistical issues.
- Attend meetings with outside organisations, including academic and commercial partners, to support / advise when hosting and / or managing multi-centre trials.
- Oversee and be responsible for full cost recovery from the delivery of hosted trials in particular for commercial trials during the national contract value review process and local costing stage.
- Life sciences (or equivalent) undergraduate degree or relevant experience
- Research methods education
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development
- Recent GCP training
Experience / KnowledgeEssential
- Postgraduate degree (eg. MSc, PhD)
- Experience as a senior trial coordinator or above working in a clinical research environment in the NHS
- Detailed knowledge of clinical trials, UK Clinical trial regulations, GCP and regulatory framework
- Experience of clinical trial and portfolio budget / finance management
- Personal and leadership management experience
- Experience in delivering teaching programmes
- Well-developed IT skills/word processing, data collection/internet skills
Skills / AbilitiesEssential
- Competence in research orientated PC software (Access, Excel, SPSS)
- Advanced organisational skills and ability to manage multiple projects at various stages of development and organisation
- Excellent cross-disciplinary/interagency communication skills and ability to facilitate collaborative working relationships
- Ability to appraise junior staff through performance review
- Confident and articulate
- Ability to make decisions, organise and prioritise
- Ability to innovate and respond to change
- Able to work unsupervised
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to initiate and drive original research
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden Hospital Chelsea
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.