Specialist Physiotherapist, Band 7 Permanent - Full Time - 37/5 hours per week
The post holder will work as an integral part of this team responding to the needs of the service and its stakeholders and taking a leading role in team developments and day to day running of the department in the Acute and Crisis directorate. The post holder will be working both with older adults with Dementia on Holbrook Ward, Queen Marys Hospital and Oaktree Lodge, Memorial HospitalMain duties of the job
The Older People's Mental Health directorate provides assessment and intervention to those primarily aged over 65 with a mental health diagnosis. This can be functional and/or organic in nature. There are 4 wards within the directorate. Holbrook provides specialist dementia care, Oaktree Lodge provides continuing care support to those with mental health conditions and Shepherdleas and Scadbury provide acute care predominantly with functional diagnoses. The physiotherapy staff provides a full assessment for all service users on the wards and identify appropriate intervention plans.
The post holder will work as an integral part of this team responding to the needs of the service and its stakeholders and taking a leading role in team developments and day to day running of the department.About us
Oxleas offers a wide range of NHS healthcare services to people in community and secure environment settings. Our services include community health care such as district nursing and speech and language therapy, care for people with learning disabilities and mental health care such as psychiatry, nursing and therapies. Our multidisciplinary teams look after people of all ages and we work in close partnership with other parts of the NHS, local councils and the voluntary sector and through our new provider collaboratives. Our 4,300 members of staff work in many different settings including hospitals, clinics, prisons, secure hospitals, children's centres, schools and people's homes.We have over 125 sites in a variety of locations in the South of England. In London we operate within the Boroughs of Bexley, Bromley Greenwich and into Kent. We manage hospital sites including Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup and Memorial Hospital, Woolwich, as well as the Bracton Centre, our medium secure unit for people with mental health needs. We are the largest NHS provider of prison health services providing healthcare to prisons within Devon, Dorset, Bristol, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, Kent and South London. We are proud of the care we provide and our people.
Our purpose is to improve lives by providing the best possible care to our patients and their families. This is strengthened by our new values:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- We're Kind
- We're Fair
- We Listen
- We Care
Person SpecificationQualifications/ExperienceEssential Desirable
- To provide a high standard of physiotherapy to inpatients on the older peoples wards as an autonomous practitioner. The post holder will be responsible for their own caseload providing advanced clinical assessment, diagnosis, planning treatment and appropriate discharge from the service adapting practice to suit the needs of the patients many of whom may have acute, complex and/or chronic presentations
- To have an extensive knowledge of physiotherapy in older people mental health settings, with a special interest in falls management
- To develop partnership working within the multi-disciplinary team and wider working environment. Actively work to maintain these relationships and be influential within them
- To supervise, appraise junior physiotherapy and support staff working in this area in the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and management of patients
- To co-ordinate the placements of physiotherapy students allocated to the Older Peoples Mental Health Directorate, assisting the clinical educators as required in the supervision, education and assessment of therapy students.
- To develop care protocols/packages relating to specialist area in liaison with ward managers and Directorate Lead Occupational Therapist to improve patient care e.g. development of care pathways
- To take the lead in the development of policies and protocols as negotiated with the clinical team manager
- To assume delegated tasks as requested by the Service Managers, ward managers and Directorate Lead Occupational Therapist
- To use specialist knowledge to inform service/policy developments as appropriate
- To contribute to the planning, co-ordinating, delivering and evaluating of the Physiotherapy Service provided to inpatients across the wards and on a day-to-day basis.
- To be an active member of local leadership teams to focus on service development throughout the directorate.
- Contribute towards the management of risk within the department including review of policies and standards
- To lead on incident investigations as deemed appropriate by Directorate Management Team. This would include serious incident investigations into falls on inpatient units.
- To attend/ contribute to directorate and trust Patient Safety Boards
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in Mental Health
Oxleas NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Holbrook Ward, Woodlands Unit
Queen Marys Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.