We have an exciting opportunity for registered children's nurses, or adult trained nurses with significant emergency department experience, to join our dynamic, forward thinking and highly professional team working minimum 23 hours per week. NUH is a Major Trauma Centre covering the East Midlands. Our busy Children's Emergency Department sees 45,000 paediatric patients a year and works closely with the Adult Emergency Department and the Children's Hospital.
Registered children's nurses must have 6 months experience post qualifying
We have just expanded our department to include a dedicated resus area for children.
You will receive a comprehensive induction with opportunity for ongoing practical and academic development.Main duties of the job
To be responsible for the assessment of care needs and the development of programmes of care and/or the implementation and evaluation of these programmes tailored to the requirements of individual children/young people.
To carry out nursing procedures and techniques in accordance with agreed policies and standards.
To report to medical and/or senior nursing staff on the condition and progress of children/young people.
To be aware of the need for confidentiality both with the written and spoken word.
To keep abreast of developments in the care and treatment of children/young people in order to be able to carry out your duties competently and efficiently.About us
With over 17,000 staff, we are one of the biggest employers in the city with a central role in supporting the health and wellbeing of our local population. We play a leading role in research, education and innovation.Come and join our wonderful team at NUH. We are big believers in diversity and welcome new ideas to help develop our team in order to deliver world class healthcare to the vast patient populations we serve. With endless personal development opportunities available, at NUH we will endeavour to turn your job into a career!We particularly welcome applications from people who identify as Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, or Disabled, as we are striving to be better represented at NUH.
The chance to be part of a friendly, highly motivated multi-disciplinary team.
The opportunity to be at the forefront of our regional Major Trauma Centre.
Training opportunities relevant to your post.
Excellent career progression opportunities .
Membership of the Faculty of Emergency Nursing (FEN) is encouraged, access to FEN continued professional development (CPD) webinars is supported and the opportunity to undertake FEN academically accredited units and qualifications is facilitated.
Career pathway in emergency nursing through the FEN programmes under pinning opportunities for promotion and progression.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
In addition to the below summary you need to familiarise yourself with full Job Description and person specification documents attached to this advert.
To assist the Sister/Charge Nurse in developing ward policies and in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all policies and procedures.
To be prepared to take charge of a ward occasionally in the absence of the person who has continuing responsibility, but maintain a similar style of management to ensure continuity.
To comply with Health and Safety policies with particular regard to the rules and procedures carried out in the event of a fire.
To be aware of your role with regard to the Drug Custody and Administration Code of Practice.
To report all accidents and untoward incidents to the Nurse in charge of the Ward.
To assist the Sister/Charge Nurse in introducing new members of the staff to their duties.
To supervise newly appointed qualified staff and demonstrate procedures as required.
To support the work of student nurses, reporting their progress to the Sister or Charge Nurse.
This role is full internal rotationPerson SpecificationCommitment to Trust Values and BehavioursEssential
Training & QualificationsEssential
- Must be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with the Trust's We are here for you behavioural standards
- Registered nurse child branch with minimum 6 months experience or Adult nurse with significant experience in emergency care
- Continuing professional development/ reflective profile
- Have or willing to undertake a suitable Teaching & Assessing Qualification
- Possession of a Mentoring Course
- Completion of all local competency packages.
- Diploma or degree in health related studies
- Supervision of non-registered staff and students
Communication and relationship skillsEssential
- Previous experience of working in emergency care (this can include as a student)
- Demonstrate an involvement in link nurse, or project work
- Evidence of ability to mentor
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate basic IT skills
- Recognition of own level of competence and limitations and able to communicate these to appropriate staff
Analytical and Judgement skillsEssential
- Demonstrate Computer literacy & use of IT skills - e.g. e-mail, Excel, PowerPoint and word
- Demonstrate evidence of providing formal teaching sessions
- Demonstration of team working and ability to work within a team
- Demonstrate an ability to assess, plan, deliver, prioritise and evaluate patient care
- Ability to identify own learning needs
- Demonstrate an understanding of the staff nurse role
Planning and organisation skillsEssential
- Demonstrate a knowledge of current issues related to the NHS
- Demonstrate an ability to prioritise own workload and recognise, prioritise and respond appropriately to urgent and emergency situations
- Demonstrate an ability to prioritise workload of self and others
- Demonstrate an ability to supervise and support others
- Demonstrate effective time management skills
- Demonstrate effective resource management
- Dexterity and accuracy in undertaking clinical skills, use of equipment and documentation
- Competent and capable of using medical equipment
- Able to undertake patient manual handling manoeuvres and non-patient manual handling manoeuvres
Other requirements specific to the roleEssential
- Evidence of moving and handling training
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Flexible and adaptable
- Enhanced CRB clearance
- Enthusiastic and well motivated
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS TrustsAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.