We have an exciting opportunity for multi-skilled maintenance technician with an electrical bias to join our team.
You will need to be able to demonstrate commitment, enthusiasm, professionalism, working within a fast-paced healthcare environment. We are looking for an individual with the ability and willingness to work outside of their comfort zone.Main duties of the job
You with have a well-rounded working knowledge of electrical systems carrying out both reactive and planned maintenance on equipment such as, generating sets, industrial distribution systems, emergency lighting, patient calls and IPS/UPS systems
As well as having a biased to the above electrical systems, the successful candidate will also be expected to carry out maintenance tasks to ventilation units, LTHW distribution systems, piped medical gases, drainage systems, fire detection systems, building management systems and water systems within a healthcare environment
The post holder will be required to participate in the Estates out of hours on-call service.About us
The Christie is one of Europe's leading cancer centres, treating over 60,000 patients a year. We are based in Manchester and serve a population of 3.2 million across Greater Manchester & Cheshire, but as a national specialist around 15% patients are referred to us from other parts of the country. We provide radiotherapy through one of the largest radiotherapy departments in the world chemotherapy on site and through 14 other hospitals highly specialist surgery for complex and rare cancer and a wide range of support and diagnostic services. We are also an international leader in research, with world first breakthroughs for over 100 years. We run one of the largest early clinical trial units in Europe with over 300 trials every year. Cancer research in Manchester, most of which is undertaken on the Christie site, has been officially ranked the best in the UK.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESTo work appropriate to core skills and develop other skills in line the trusts requirements.1. Service, test, diagnose, repair and calibrate advanced mechanical, electrical and electronic installations, plant and equipment.A. Using technical manualsB. Communicating with manufacturers and suppliers of equipmentC. Follow protocols when working in radiation & other controlled areasD. Ordering spare parts and service materialsE. Plan and prioritise reported faults
2. Use and understanding of the building engineering management system.A. Extracting data and printing fault reportsB. Using the information generated to prioritise work into critical and non-critical faultsC. Inform management of any serious problems which may affect the running of the hospitalD. Computer programming, modifying and making additions to the systemE. Liaise and communicate with the systems managers
3. Attain Low Voltage Authorised person in line with HTM 06A. Preparing test certificatesB. Isolation and making safe areas within the hospital for contractors to carry out their workC. Ensures electrical safe working and issues permits in line with HTM06
4. Carry out Test & Inspections in line with current IEE RegulationsA. Authorise and commission new electrical installationsB. C & G accreditation for, Inspection and testing, portable Appliance testing.
5. Attend to fire calls and communicate with Fire Officers.A. Determining the cause of the alarm, rectify and replace as requiredB. Confirming with the Fire Officer the cause of the alarm, and signing his reportC. Report back to management and indicate any remedial action that may be requiredD. Using a Laptop computer to programme the fire control panels
6. Deal with new situations as they arise and pass on knowledge to others
7. IT Skills.A. Recording times of attendanceB. Creating spreadsheets to record and present informationC. Send and receive informationD. Search for information using the internetE. Generate reports
8. Service and Maintain Air handling Units including Theatre plant.
9. Attain Medical Gas competency.
10. Service and Maintain Domestic Hot Water & Cold-Water Systems.A. Monitoring & recording of temperature readings.B. Carry out duties in line with Trust Policy on Legionella.
11. Undertake duties of craftspersons if required.12. Assemble, install and commission new work.13. Use all relevant tools and equipment.A. Hand tools, including electric drills & grindersB. Testing & calibration instruments
14. Use and safe operation of hydraulic platforms, and roof accessA. Correct use of safety harness and equipment
15. Instruct other on all aspects of their work.A. Represent the estates department when commissioning new equipment and pass on all relevant information to colleagues
16. Learn new techniques with training as necessary.A. Attend training courses and update skills
17. Understand fully the relationship of craftspersons work with their own.
18. Work safely and with consideration for others
A. Having knowledge of COSHH and Safety at work regulationsB. Safe use of hand winding gear when releasing people from passenger liftsc. Risk assessment19. Be aware of the needs and sensitivities and confidentially of an acute patient care and laboratory environment.A. Personal HygieneB. Gowning up protocols when working in theatres and laboratories and other sensitive areas in line with Trust policyC. Communication with patients and clinical staff when working in patient areas20. Working in a research laboratoryA. Knowledge of all protocols when working in an extremely bio hazardous environment21. Carry out a planned maintenance schemePerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential Desirable
- IEE Regulations 18th edition HTM 06 Low voltage authorised person
- S.I.A License
- Relevant post apprentice training
- 2 Years Relevant Experience
- Further experience in NHS buildings and building engineering services
- Skilled at fault finding.
- Skilled in the use of relevant tools and materials.
- Able to prioritise work.
- Appreciation of time management to minimise departmental disruption.
- Good communication skills.
- Skilled in the carrying out of minor repairs to building fabric.
- Understand the complete working of mechanical, electrical & electronic systems within building engineering services.
- Previous experience of working in a NHS building/environment.
OtherDesirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Flexible approach to working within an acute patient care hospital
The Christie NHS FTAddress
Estates Maintenance - E00482
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.