It's all here to discover at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MFT). As the UK's largest Trust, we offer unparalleled career opportunities, a great work/life balance in one of the country's most exciting cities - and the chance to do something absolutely unique with your knowledge.
As one of the two NHSI proposed hubs for Greater Manchester you will have the opportunity to lead a sizeable and specialist Histopathology department and in doing so, make a tangible difference to the lives of thousands of people. We have an exciting opportunity for a lead Health Care Scientist to develop and deliver the strategy to drive forwards innovation for Histopathology. Under the auspices of Cellular Pathology, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust has Adult and Paediatric Histopathology departments sited at the Oxford Road Campus and Wythenshawe Hospital sites, with the Cervical Cytology testing service supporting HPV testing for the whole North West also on-site at the Oxford Road Campus.Main duties of the job
Are you the leader we are looking for to oversee the work of Histopathology and who will ensure that we continue to offer high-quality services to the Trust? In conjunction with the Clinical Director for Cellular Pathology, and Cellular Pathology Directorate Manager, you will be responsible for the overall operation and development of the Histopathology laboratory service. You have the responsibility for managing a team to successfully deliver all aspects of laboratory operations, from motivating staff to maintaining the department's finances this is a multi-layered role that requires an ambitious leader.
As Histopathology evolves, we wish to embrace technological developments and currently utilise the SMART automation to support delivery of our service and is currently implementing Digital Pathology across all sites.
We are looking for a visionary leader with excellent communication skills and a management qualification, or evidence of developed management skills. HCPC registered, you will have significant Histopathology experience, with a good awareness of current issues in the pathology service, health and safety legislation and UKAS standards. You will be a leader with strategic capability, who can drive forward modernisation in the context of financial efficiency. You must have tactical ability and the necessary skills to fully understand the financial position facing the NHS and be willing to change the face of Pathology by being innovative and creative.About us
MFT is England's largest NHS Trust with a turnover of �2.5bn & is on a different scale than most other NHS Trusts. We're creating an exceptional integrated health & social care system for the 1 million patients who rely on our services every year.
Bringing together 10 hospitals & community services from across Manchester, Trafford & beyond, we champion collaborative working & transformation, encouraging our 28,000 workforce to pursue their most ambitious goals. We set standards that other Trusts seek to emulate so you'll benefit from a scale of opportunity that is nothing short of extraordinary.
We've also created a digitally enabled organisation to improve clinical quality, patient & staff experience, operational effectiveness & driving research and innovation through the introduction of Hive our brand-new Electronic Patient Record system which we've launched in September 2022.
We're proud to be a major academic Research Centre & Education provider, providing you with a robust infrastructure to encourage and facilitate high-quality research programmes. What's more, we're excited to be embarking on our new Green Plan which will set out how MFT continues to play its part in making healthcare more sustainable.
At MFT, we create and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, provide equal opportunities for career development that are fair, open and transparent, protecting your health and wellbeing and shaping the future of our organisation togetherJob descriptionJob responsibilities
- Act as the Laboratory Manager for the Department, taking responsibility for the management of the department, its resources and technical services including the scientific and clerical staff, finance, equipment and space.
- The responsibility covers the following main areas of specialisation: Paediatric and Adult Histopathology, Adult and Paediatric Mortuaries, across all MFT sites Oxford Road Campus, Trafford, Wythenshawe, and North Manchester General Hospitals.
- Be responsible for the department achieving its financial expectations in terms of achieving savings targets, income generation and ongoing budget review, whilst engaging in appropriate Divisional meetings.
- Review the staffing structure of the Histopathology Departments to ensure that each area has adequate staffing levels with an appropriate skill mix.
- Be actively involved in ongoing procurement projects assessing all essential equipment making sure it is fit for purpose, fully operational and has the capacity for expansion which aligns with the strategic vision for the department.
- Assess space and laboratory configuration to allow for expansion where/ when necessary.
- Develop business plans and respond to future tenders making sure that Histopathology is in the best position to compete for work across Greater Manchester, the North West and beyond and as appropriate.
- With senior colleagues, be responsible for the overall operation and development of the laboratory service areas providing a quality led, efficient and safe service and providing specialist advice on technical issues.
- With the Clinical Director and Directorate Manager lead the Histopathology Senior Management Team allocating staff and resources to maximum benefit.
- Be an active member of the Cellular Pathology Senior Leadership Team, proposing and driving the strategic direction of the directorate.
- Be the professional Biomedical Scientist lead for all laboratory staff within the management remit of the post, responsible for professional aspects of the service and encouraging the highest professional standards through personal and staff development.
To find out more about the key responsibilities and the specific skills and experience youll need, take a look at the Job Description & Person Specification attachments under the Supporting Documents heading. So that youre even more equipped to make an informed decision to apply to us, youll need to take time to read the Candidate Essentials Guide that sits with the Job Description and Person Specification. This document provides you with details about the Trust, our benefits and outlines how we care for you as you care for others. Most importantly, it also contains critical information youll need to be aware of before you submit an application form.
COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not currently a condition of employment, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated, there is helpful advice and information available by searching on the NHS England website where you can also find out more about how to access the vaccination. Diversity Matters
MFT is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employer, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Were looking forward to hearing from you!Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Fellow IBMS
- HCPC Registration
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Management Qualification / Minimum 3 years Management Experience
Manchester University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Oxford Road Campus
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.