We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic professional to join our management accounts team in a challenging role supporting the Royal Brompton Heart Division. This division covers cardio-thoracic, cardiology and critical care services at Royal Brompton.
This Band 5 post requires experience in a finance environment and for the candidate to be actively studying or seeking to study for a professional accountancy qualification. It is essential for the post holder to demonstrate strong communication, team-working, organisational and IT skills, along with the ability to manage multiple deadlines and stakeholders. In addition, the ability to work independently, proactively and innovatively will be expected.
Reporting to the Deputy Finance Manager, the post holder is expected to support the accurate delivery of financial reporting to a tight monthly deadline. The post holder will also support key duties around costing, budget setting and also ad-hoc queries, namely supporting various budget holders, as required.Main duties of the job
- Provide comprehensive financial management and financial support service to the Division including producing monthly budget statements, investigate variances & ensure accuracy within a specified timetable.
- To ensure that regular meetings with budget holders are undertaken and to deputise as necessary for the Deputy Finance Manager at management meetings.
- Provide training to aid budget holder understanding of core financial information produced. Ensure Budget Holders recognise & understand their financial responsibilities.
- With the support of the Deputy Finance Manager, produce costings as required by finance colleagues and budget holders in line with NHS approved costing guidance.
- In liaison with Finance and Service Managers, ensure that third parties are appropriately billed for SLA agreements in addition to ad-hoc recharges.
- Discuss & respond to queries from budget holders and staff
- To develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels across the Trust and in external bodies.
- The post holder will support the Deputy Finance Manager in the identification and financial value of cost pressures & Service Developments.
- In conjunction with the Deputy Finance Manager, support the annual budget setting process for the Division.
- To undertake any other appropriate tasks to support the Deputy Finance Manager and Senior Finance Manager.
All staff will:
- Act with honesty and integrity at all times
- Demonstrate respect for others and value diversity
- Focus on the patient and internal and external customer at all times
- Make an active contribution to developing the service
- Learn from and share experience and knowledge
- Keep others informed of issues of importance and relevance
- Consciously review mistakes and successes to improve performance
- Act as ambassadors for their directorate and the Trust
- Be aware of the impact of their own behaviour on others
- Be discreet and aware of issues requiring confidentiality
In addition, all managers and supervisors will:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Value and recognise the ideas and contributions of all team members
- Coach individuals and teams to perform to the best of their ability
- Delegate work to develop individuals in their roles and realise their potential
- Give ongoing feedback on performance, and effectively manage poor performance
- Provide support and guidance to all team members
- Encourage their team to achieve work/personal life balance
- Actively listen to comments/challenges and respond constructively
- Lead by example, setting high standards
- Ensure that there are sufficient resources for their team and rebalance priorities accordingly
- Provide a safe working environment
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Patient/customer care (both direct and indirect)
Incidental contact only with patients and relatives.
The post-holder will contribute to the continuous development of good practice within the department. Continually review current procedures, redesign processes to improve service delivery. Share the benefit of locally redesigned processes with Finance colleagues to ensure Trust wide benefit.
The post holder will have discretion to use their initiative and act independently, and to interpret overall health service policy and financial standards in order to establish clear operational goals, policies and standards for use by others within the Finance department, and the Trust as a whole. The post holder will also need to ensure that staff across the organisation are aware of and abide by these policies.
In line with organisational and national requirements support the Deputy Finance Manager in the development of a comprehensive costing service for all the Trusts activities through the provision of specialist financial advice. To develop and maintain relationships with staff across the organisation in support of this objective.
Through the provision of specialist high quality financial information and advice support the development and operation of services within the Trust.
Organise own workload to ensure that deadlines are met within specified timetables. This will require a flexible approach as adjustments to plan will be required to cope with day to day Departmental issues.
Work independently and be guided by clear department protocols, but report areas of concern to the Deputy Finance Manager when necessary.
Provide training to Budget Holders on their financial responsibilities and the Trusts' Standing Financial Instructions.
Instruct new finance colleagues on the use & functionality of Trust information systems.
The post holder must develop excellent communication skills, and the ability to communicate financial information, effectively and accurately, both verbally and in writing, to various levels within the organisation.
To liaise with external bodies regarding invoicing issues, notably SLA partner organisations.
- Analytical & Judgmental Skills
The post holder will be expected to be able to manage a range of targets and objectives. This will include regular planned work and ad-hoc requests from both internal and external parties.
Calculate and process income, expenditure, and budget journals within a set timetable. Access information from the Trusts General Ledger, Payroll & Income computer systems to analyse financial data.
Assist in the production, monitoring and maintenance of departmental budgets, in conjunction with both Budget Holders and the Deputy Finance Manager.
Promote financial awareness and ensure adherence to the Trusts Standing Orders and Standing Financial Instructions.
Develop ability to use advanced excel functions (such as pivot tables, sumif and vlookup), to create spreadsheets supporting the analysis of the Divisions position.
To abide by the Trusts Core behaviours for staff and all other Trust policies, codes and practices including standing financial instructions, research governance, clinical governance, patient and public involvement, codes and practices, and health and safety.
To undertake any other duties commensurate with the grade as requested. This job description is intended as a basic guide to the scope and responsibilities of the post and is not exhaustive. It will be subject to regular review and amendment as necessary in consultation with the post holder.Person SpecificationEDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONSEssential
- Educated to Degree Standard
- Currently studying, or actively seeking to study, towards a professional Accountancy qualification.
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGEEssential
- Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) intermediate level.
- Experience in a finance function.
SKILLS & ABILITIESEssential
- Large organisation or NHS Finance experience.
- Ability to plan and organise own workload and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyse, investigate and resolve queries with support from line manager
- Confident user of IT e.g. Microsoft Office, integrated financial ledger system, databases, with accurate output.
- Experience of working with large quantities of complex data & translating into information for management use.
- Advanced spread sheet functions (e.g. Pivot table, SUMIF & VLOOKUP).
OTHER REQUIREMENTSEssential Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to work as part of a team, approachable with good inter-personal skills. Acts with integrity and professionalism. A positive can do attitude and a positive attitude to change. Ability to concentrate where the pattern of work is unpredictable with frequent interruptions
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Brompton Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.