The post is based at a community clinic which also houses two large CMHTs, an Early Detection Service and a Specialist Autism Assessment service. The post will have some inpatient cover at the Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health at Mile End Hospital as there is consultant continuity of care for patients under THEIS. The service base is very central to the borough with good bus and Tube connections. The post holder will be working with consultant psychiatrists Dr Jennifer Ahrens and Dr Susham Gupta.
The Tower Hamlets Early Intervention Service is a specialist service for adults experiencing their first episode of psychosis. It is a borough wide service with a multidisciplinary team operating along principles of team based care with access to inpatient beds on Lea Ward (male) or Roman Ward (female) for patients in crisis. The service has recently expanded to work with adults aged 18-65yrs with subsequent development of sub-teams covering East and West primary care networks.Main duties of the job
The Specialty Doctor will share the medical input for the team with another 0.8wte Specialty Doctor, a Core trainee (based on the ward), and 1.0 Specialist Trainee with the 2.0 wte Consultant Psychiatrists, working under clinical supervision.
There will be a need to screen referrals, contribute to multidisciplinary assessments, correspond with referrers, colleagues and other involved professionals and conduct psychiatric reviews and chair CPAs of community patients.
There will be occasional need to review ward patients, write tribunal reports, and attend tribunals as required. Specific administrative support is provided for preparation of GP correspondence, tribunal reports, and other documentation.
On average 8.0 Programmed Activities per week will be devoted to Direct Clinical Care - with 4 out-patient clinics and occasional home visits. Direct Clinical Care duties
On average 8.0 Programmed Activities per week will be devoted to Direct Clinical Care. The Specialty Doctor will work under the supervision of the consultant. He/she will:
- Work within a multidisciplinary setting offering psychiatric-medical input in the assessment, treatment and care management of the patients
- Will adhere to the clinical lead model of service and principle of holistic care
- Provide appropriate cross-cover for colleagues
- Adhere to all service conditions and local policies
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information relating to this vacancy please see attached job description and person specification.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
- Medical qualification (A)
- Full GMC Registration (A)
- MRCPsych (A
- Approved or Eligible for Section 12l (A)
- Higher degree (A
- Min 3 yrs training at CT1-3 grade or higher (A)
- Or Min 2 yrs clinical experience as a Speciality Doctor or equivalent in Psychiatry (A)
Skills and abilitiesEssential
- Previous experience of working in a ward setting and/or community CMHT or LD (A)
- Previous experience of working in drug and alcohol services (A)
- Psychiatric assessment and consultation skills (I)
- Report writing (A)
- Ability to work sensitively in partnership with patients
- Good time management (A I)
- Multidisciplinary working (A I)
- Willingness to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team (A I)
- Ability to appropriately seek advice (A I)
- Excellent communication and documentation skills (A I)
- Knowledge of psychiatric theory and practice (A I)
- Knowledge of the MHA 1983 (I A)
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of psychopharmacology (A I)
- An understanding of mental illness and agitation
- An understanding of recovery based interventions.
- An understanding of locality mental health work in an inner city multicultural environment
- Understanding of Confidentiality (I)
- Understanding of Equal Opportunities (I)
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Probity (A I)
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Interest in audit and quality improvement (A, I)
- Interest in teaching (A,I)
East London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Tower Hamlets Early Intervention Service/Tower Hamlets Centre for MH
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.