We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Band 6 Speech and Language Therapist to join a new community Speech and Language Therapy service for adults. You will have a keen passion for providing patient-centred care and treatment for a specialist ageing and health and multi-morbidity caseload (dementia, frailty, COPD). There will be opportunities to run outpatient dysphagia clinics for adults with a range of diagnoses (ENT, rheumatology) and also have an opportunity to work with the B7 SLT to further develop and shape this specialist service.
You will be a SLT with postgraduate experience working with adults ideally in the community. You will be well-supported through regular supervision and appraisal, and will have access to planned in-service training with the wider community SLT service. There is also opportunities to attend external training in line with your PDP objectives. You will also have access to the benefits of belonging to Guys and St Thomas' Foundation Trust and Kings Health Partners, an Academic Health Science Centre.
This post covers the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark and utilises agile working . All staff are provided with mobile devices and work-related travel is reimbursed. You do not need to drive for this community post. Staff have access to pool cars or you can be reimbursed for using your own car. If you do not drive, you will be expected to use public transport, your own bicycle or walk. Main duties of the job
The post holder will form part of a new and developing Speech and Language Therapy Service to support adults in the community.
The post holder is expected:
- To provide a specialist Speech and Language Therapy service to clients in the communities of Lambeth and Southwark.
- To work closely alongside other members of the MDT to provide patient-centred care and treatment for a specialist ageing and health and multi-morbidity caseload (dementia, frailty, COPD).
- To provide intervention that is goal-orientated and utilises a self-management approach enabling patients to actively participate in their treatment.
- To achieve individual activity target of two to three visits (face-to-face or via telehealth) per day.
- To participate in monthly supervision and annual appraisal by a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist.
- To provide supervision of SLT students on placement.
- To actively participate in the service development of this new service
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK's best known hospitals - Guy's, St Thomas', Evelina London Children's Hospital, Royal Brompton and Harefield - as well as community services in Lambeth and Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
The Integrated Local Services directorate provides a range of community and inpatient health services for adults within the communities of Lambeth and Southwark, with some services also provided in Lewisham. Our hospital- based inpatient and outpatient services provide care for adults from across the region.
We have around 22,700 staff, making us one of the largest NHS Trusts in the country and one of the biggest employers locally. We aim to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and continue to develop new and existing partnerships with local people, patients, neighbouring NHS organisations, local authorities and charitable bodies and GPs.
We strive to recruit and retain the best staff as the dedication and skills of our employees lie at the heart of our organisation and ensure that our services are of the highest quality, safe and focused on our patients. Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will:
- Work as an autonomous practitioner within the standards of professional practice laid down by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RSCLT) and Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Be professionally and legally accountable for all aspects of own work.
- Maintain close liaison with other senior colleagues in the team and ensure effective communication with all team members for day to day smooth running of the service.
- Keep abreast of current issues within the profession, taking responsibility for personal growth and development such as reading relevant journal and research papers or participating in appropriate work journal clubs and related research / evaluation projects.
- Maintain and record ongoing continuing professional development, using a professional portfolio.
- Attend professional body / clinical interest group meetings as appropriate.
- Participate in clinical training for Speech and Language Therapy students.
- Attend training courses, participate in experiential learning as identified in PDP and impart information to colleagues.
The post holder will:
- Provide a comprehensive assessment, treatment and management service to a caseload of adults with ageing and health and multi-morbidities (dementia, frailty, COPD) with communication and/or swallowing impairments following local operational policies and agreed standards and guidelines.
- Be responsible for prioritising and managing own workload. Achieve expected individual activity target (face to face contacts) of two or three patients a day.
- Work collaboratively with clients and carers, members of the multidisciplinary team and external agencies to ensure a co-ordinated approach to service delivery.
- Discuss, advise and plan appropriate patient goals with clients, carers and the multidisciplinary team
Person SpecificationProfessional/ Statutory RegistrationEssential
- Attend multidisciplinary team meetings, case conferences, family meetings and ward meetings as necessary and other professional meetings as requested by the line manager
- Respect clients' dignity, privacy, culture and wishes during treatment, with a commitment to equal access to rehabilitation.
- Maintain and develop close links with colleagues in the Acute sector, Local Authority Services, Voluntary Organisations and other members of Primary Health Care Services.
- Attend all appropriate team meetings.
- Supervise SLT students on placement where appropriate.
- Undertake monthly clinical supervision and line management supervision with a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist within the team.
- Participate in the Trust staff appraisal scheme.
- Be responsible for safekeeping and cleanliness and maintenance of equipment ensuring standards of infection control are met and reporting all equipment defects, accidents and complaints to the Deputy Clinical Lead.
- Participate in ongoing review of service delivery and any ensuing service developments.
- Registered member of HCPC
Qualifications and EducationEssential
- Registered member of HCPC
- Member of relevant CENs
- Diploma/Degree leading to RCSLT License to practice
- Post graduate dysphagia training / experience
- Experience working with adults with multiple medical pathologies, in acute or community settings including management of complex dysphagia.
- Experience of working in a variety of clinical settings including older persons
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team (MDT)
- Experience of working in a community setting
- Knowledge of current policies and publications relevant to caseload
- Committed to continuing professional development and self- learning
- Good ability to devise appropriate training and information packages for patients, family members, carers and colleagues.
- Excellent ability to communicate highly complicated / highly emotive information to all levels of understanding both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical governance and evidence based practice
- Ability to work innovatively in order to integrate interventions into the individual's home, work, social or educational environment
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of referring patients for instrumental assessment.
- Developed skills in assessing individuals with a range of communication impairments and ability to provide evidence-based therapy approaches/ management programmes.
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Akerman Health Centre
60 Patmos Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.