South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLAM) are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic Consultant Psychiatrist to join our new acute male in patient ward - Evans ward in the London Borough of Lewisham. This is currently being advertised as a 10 PA fixed term role for a period of 12 months. The post is very likely to be advertised as a substantive post in the near future pending RCPsych approval.
If you are looking for an exciting front line clinical role with opportunities to lead on service development and incorporating quality improvement methodology to evaluate changes, then this is the ideal post for you. We welcome applications from Higher trainees who will be obtaining their CCT in February 2024
For further details please refer to attached advertisement.Main duties of the job
The main duties of the post holder are to provide psychiatry consultant leadership, to act as Approved Clinician for the ward's case load, and to work with the ward manager to deliver high quality care for patients under the care of the unit.
You will participate in the ward's daily MDT hand over meetings and chair twice weekly ward rounds. You will also be expected to attend the directorate's bed management meetings and any other forums/meetings aimed at improving length of stay and quality of care within our acute in patient services.
Many of the ward patients would have been detained under the Mental health act and a fundamental part of the role is to ensure that you complete all the statutory paperwork and responsibilities that go hand in hand with being the Responsible clinician.
Close liaison with community teams, Home treatment team, Liaison, GP's, other secondary care services (example medical teams at UHL), Police, MOJ (for sec 37/41 patients) will be a key part of the role.
For further details, please refer to attached JD.About us
We are committed to ensuring our staff get the most out of their benefits package and understand the importance of a healthy work life balance. There is an extensive range of excellent benefits for you and your family. We want you to feel like you are part of a close-knit team at SLaM. It's important to us that you feel valued and appreciated and that is why we have a comprehensive benefits package on offer.
Some of our benefits are highlighted here:
- Generous pay, pensions, and leave, we offer a comprehensive pay, pensions and leave package, which is dependent on the role and length of service.
- Work life balance, flexible working and supporting a range of flexible options, such as: part-time working and job sharing.
- Career development, there are plenty of opportunities to progress your career and we support your development through several programs such as leadership, mentoring, coaching, positive people management, collective leadership, and other talent programmes
- Car lease, our staff benefit from competitive deals to lease cars
- Accommodation, eligible staff benefit fromkeyworker housing which is available on selected sites
- NHS discounts, with discounts up to 10% from a variety of well-known retail brands through Health Service Discounts website.
For further details please refer to attached advertisement.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To provide enthusiastic, and flexible, joint clinical leadership and consultant input into the team, alongside the ward manager
- To take consultant responsibility for your ward, acting as Approved Clinician and assessing or supervising assessment and management of patients and devising or helping to devise appropriate treatment plans and medication regimes, providing prompt medical response, and advising and work closely with other members of the multidisciplinary team
- To provide consultant input into the ward, using your expertise to provide advice, liaising closely with others, and providing assessment of complex presentations and creating appropriate management plans
- To offer expert risk assessment and management skills in complex care of people with severe mental illness or those admitted in crisis.
- To ensure excellence in the delivery of evidence-based treatments
- To act as a source of support, advice, and information to current or prospective patients and their carers, referrers, team members and other professionals
- To attend Directorate bed management/ Right care meetings and work closely with AMD and Lewisham flow team in identifying barriers to discharge and ensuring early discharge planning for each new admission to the ward.
For further details, please refer to attached JD.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent qualification (in accordance with Royal College of Psychiatrists guidelines)
- Experience in other relevant specialties such as in patient, liaison psychiatry, home treatment or addictions
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register for General Adult Psychiatry OR within six months
- Approved clinician status and under S12 OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others.
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
Academic Skills & Lifelong LearningEssential
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training. Ability to work in and lead team
- Ability to work in and lead team
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement.
- Participated in continuous professional development. Participated in research or service evaluation..
- Able to use and appraise clinical evidence.
- Has actively participated in clinical audit and quality improvement programmes
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post. Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation.
- Evidence of achievement in education, research, audit and service improvement: awards, prizes, presentations and publications.
- Has led quality improvement projects leading to service change or improved outcomes to patients
South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Lewisham High Street, London SE13 6LW
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.