We seek an experienced and enthusiastic mechanical engineer to manage our mechanical workshop facilities, which are primarily concerned with designing and manufacturing of a wide range of equipment for the Radiotherapy Department. The successful candidate will also be required to participate in PPM and repairs of complex mechanical systems on radiotherapy treatment machines, e.g. Linear Accelerators and CT-Scanners.
The successful candidate will be working closely with our team of electronics engineers to ensure efficient operation, effectively and safely with a minimum machine downtime. To complete these tasks you will be required to manage other technical specialists, as well as the department's extensive mechanical workshop facilities, ensuring at all times, the highest standards of safety and accountability are maintained.
It is essential the candidate is conversant with the full range of workshop equipment, processes and precision engineering techniques and have experience using CAD/solid modelling software. They should also be able to apply themselves to the design, construction and repair of specialist equipment, and the candidate will have responsibility for the maintenance of ISO9001 certification and compliance with the Medical Devices Regulations.
A solid background and experience of CNC milling and turning is essential, while MIG/TIG welding processes would be an advantage as well as knowledge and experience of 3D Printer work design.Main duties of the job
The Mechanical Engineering Section is primarily concerned with designing, developing and manufacturing a wide range of equipment for the Radiotherapy Department but also provides a similar service for other Trust departments. The Section carries out mechanical maintenance and repairs to complex diagnostic and treatment equipment in the Radiotherapy Department, ensuring the equipment operates efficiently, effectively and safely with a minimum of downtime. The radiotherapy equipment incorporates mechanical, pneumatic, high vacuum and water systems.
The post is to manage all aspects of the work, staff and equipment of the Mechanical Engineering Section. The Post-holder will be responsibility for ensuring the Workshop operates safely, efficiently and effectively, and that its practices do not endanger other members of staff or visitors present in the Workshop, or in any other area where work is being undertaken. The Post-holder is responsible for ensuring a log is kept of all the work carried out. Clients will be kept aware of the progress of their work and the costs that will be incurred. The Technical Service Manager will be kept informed of all orders placed for goods & services and invoices.
The post-holder will also be responsible for ensuring ISO9001 development and maintenance along compliance with the Medical Devices Regulation as required by MHRA.About us
At Imperial College Healthcare you can achieve extraordinary things with extraordinary people, working with leading clinicians pushing boundaries in patient care. Become part of a vibrant team living our values - expert, kind, collaborative and aspirational. You'll get an experience like no other and will fast forward your career.
Benefits include career development, flexible working and wellbeing, staff recognition scheme. Make use of optional benefits including Cycle to work, car lease schemes, season ticket loan or membership options for onsite leisure facilities. We encourage staff to have the Covid vaccination to protect themselves, patients, other colleagues as well as the wider community.
Please note it is an operational requirement to comply with infection prevention and control procedures within the Trust such as lateral flow testing, handwashing and the wearing of masks, according to the procedures in place at any time or location.
As part of our continued response to Covid19 we are still conducting the majority of our interviews virtually.
We welcome discussions about flexible working and encourage a range of flexible working opportunities wherever we can.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required. For both overviews please view the Job Description attachment with the job advert.Person SpecificationEducation/ QualificationsEssential
- * BSc / BEng / HNC / Full Technical Certificate or equivalent qualification / experience in mechanical or production engineering
- An apprenticeship or nationally recognised course of vocational training in mechanical or production engineering.
- A knowledge of mechanical or production engineering processes and the equipment used in the manufacture of engineered items.
- Certified as legally competent to change Abrasive Wheels as per the Abrasive Wheel Regulations.
- A knowledge of the Planned Preventative Maintenance required for Linear Accelerators
- Membership of a recognised & relevant Professional Engineering Institute.
- Incorporated-level Engineer
- Registered as a Clinical Technologist and on the Register of Clinical Technologists (RCT)
- Extensive knowledge of: materials material processing mechanical engineering design equipment manufacture and repair involving the use of Lathes, Milling Machines, Welding Equipment, etc
- Previous experience of long-term Planned Preventative Maintenance programmes.
- Understanding of hazards posed by, and precautions required when dealing with: fumes, oils, solvents, compressed gases, working in confined spaces, working at height, lifting of very heavy items (up to 1,000 Kg), tools and torches at highly elevated temperatures, cleansing agents, naked flames, machine cutters and components rotating at very high speeds.
- Experience of supervising, teaching & training staff in specialist areas as necessary
- Able to negotiating with Companies and to train professional staff as necessary
- Auditor for ISO 9000 Quality Management System
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Highly experienced in the use of: lathes drills milling machines grinders, welding and brazing equipment.
- Highly conversant with VISIO 2000 or similar CAD package for the development of drawings and illustrations. Ability to use CAD/CAM systems and will have worked on CNC machinery (lathes / milling machines).
- Able to use Word and Excel for the development of procedures, policies and spreadsheets
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, national standards, professional and other guidelines, eg: Health & Safety at Work Regulations, Factories Act, Offices Shops & Railway Premises Act, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health, Reporting of Injuries, Diseases & Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, Public Liability Act & ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System
Imperial College Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.