An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Occupational Therapy department in Luton and Bedfordshire. Due to staff progression, we are looking for a qualified Occupational Therapist with a passion for working with service users who live with Mental Health conditions. The postholder will be responsible for providing specialist Occupational Therapy assessment and intervention for the treatment of service users within the unit, utilizing assessment and evaluation tools drawn from the Model of Human Occupation. The OT assessments and interventions will be recovery focused and client centred, supporting and enabling the person to achieve their goals in self-care, productivity and leisure. As part of the multi-disciplinary team your assessments will be essential in informing and planning positive discharge for the client.Main duties of the job
The post holder will work within the already well-established multi-disciplinary team to develop the role of Occupational Therapy, and to manage the OT program on the ward through 1:1 intervention, group work, and enabling clients in accessing relevant local community resources which would support their discharge. The post holder will also supervise OT staff and students.
Regular managerial and professional supervision will be provided and we also provide monthly opportunities to participate in OT Service-wide CPD events. Professional development and training are actively encouraged through the appraisal process and dedicated preceptorship.About us
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
We offer a robust preceptorship for students, regular managerial and professional supervision will be provided and we also provide monthly opportunities to participate in OT Service-wide CPD events.
Professional development and training are actively encouraged through the appraisal process, and we offer specialist training opportunities such as Sensory Integration and attendance at relevant professional conferences.
We also have a banded Support and Development program, access to coaching opportunities and mentoring.
For further information please kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationEducation/ Qualification/ TrainingEssential
- Degree or Diploma in Occupational Therapy
- State Registration
- Fieldwork Educator Training
- Member of College of Occupational Therapists
Knowledge and SkillsEssential
- Post qualifying experience in Mental Health
- Experience of working with people with mental health problems
- Knowledge and experience of supporting and enabling people with complex needs (mental health problems, physical health problems) in their home and also in accessing community resources/groups to maintain well-being.
- Experience of assessing for physical health needs
- Assertive in clinical and managerial situations
- Excellent demonstrable written verbal and presentation skills
- Experience of clinically supervising OT staff and students
- Experience of developing and facilitating groups.
- Evidence of previous service development activities and role development.
- Evidence of working as part of a MDT.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Carry out culturally sensitive Occupational Therapy Assessment with good treatment process skills
- Good clinical reasoning skills.
- Ability to undertake clinical risk - assess, manage and reduce potential risks.
- Good Interpersonal skills enabling therapeutic alliances to be developed and maintained with clients
- Evaluate clinical work using formal and informal methods
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to present information in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability to initiate, plan and prioritise and coordinate a range of activities in relation to clinical work and the wider MDT team/service
- Ability to maintain the profile of OT within the MDT/service/organisation.
- Effective time management skills
- Computer /Word Processing skills
- Model of Human Occupation and its practical application in the clinical field
- Of health and safety issues at work
- Psychiatric conditions and treatment available including a range of treatment techniques.
- Of the impact of mental health problems impacts upon occupational functioning (selfcare, productivity and leisure) and performance components (cognitive and physical).
- Skills in devising and implementing strategies to improve and monitor quality
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Awareness of current legislation affecting Mental Health Services.
- Understanding of the Mental Health Act
East London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.