Associate Service Manager - Emergency Department.
To assist the General Manager to develop and deliver high quality, patient / service user focused and cost effective pathways and service meeting the requirements of our commissioners and the Trust's Annual Business Plan.Main duties of the job
To contribute to the overall divisional strategy in providing and developing a working environment and open culture which fosters high morale and commitment among all staff and promotes their wellbeing, professional and personal development.About us
Our people are our greatest asset. When we feel supported and happy at work, this positivity reaches those very people we are here for, the patients. Engaged employees perform at their best and our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) initiatives contribute to cultivate a culture of engagement. We have four staff networks, a corporate EDI Team and a suite of programmes and events which aim to insert the 5 aspirations: Improving representation at senior levels of staff with disabilities, from black, Asian, and ethnic minorities background, identify as LGBTQ+ and women, through improved recruitment and leadership development Widening access (anchor institution) and employability Improving the experience of staff with disability Improving the EDI literacy and confidence of trust staff through training and development Making equalities mainstream Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesKey Result Areas & Performance:
Person SpecificationQualifications and TrainingEssential
- To assist the Divisional Management Team in ensuring the smooth and effective running of the Division.
- To support on the delivery of the Emergency Department constitutional for the Trust ensuring that policies are followed.
- To be responsible for weekly reporting on the Emergency Department performance and supporting the General Manager in planning to ensure sustained achievement of the target.
- To act as lead manager for the Emergency Department administration team and provide primary budget management for pay and non-pay within that service areas.
- To ensure that the Divisions activities focus on supporting patient care within available resources and in line with the strategic direction of the Division and the Trust.
- Responsible for the delivery of identified quality and service improvement projects or development programmes that contribute to the modernisation of the department.
- To ensure the delivery of excellent, patient focused and cost effective services which are responsive to the needs of patients, carers and General Practitioners and are in line with the Trusts strategic direction and service plans.
- To play an active role within the Divisions Management Team, participating in the full range of the Divisions affairs.
- Deal with and respond where appropriate to all complaints in accordance with Trust policy, ensuring that any necessary remedial action is taken.
- To ensure the efficient organisation of services, supervising Consultant and junior doctors leave in order to support the delivery constitutional standards.
- Support the Divisional Management Team to achieve CIP targets and work with key stakeholders and partners to maximise the QIPP agenda
- To compile on a regular basis complaints analysis for the Division Team ensuring that these are updated within the set timescales.
- To attend and participate in Divisional Meetings and to represent the Division (or Trust) at external meetings as required.
- To attend relevant departmental meetings within the Trust to represent the Division and provide updates on various issues e.g. Service Delivery, HR issues, Health & Safety matters, Security issues.
- As a member of the Divisions Management Team, ensure that the Division meets performance targets.
- To identify and lead change management and redesign projects to achieve access targets.
- To undertake risk assessment for areas of responsibility and ensure that appropriate health and safety, fire and other statutory regulations are adhered to.
- To provide regular reports to the Division Team relating to activity, identifying adverse variances and monitoring activity trends.
- To ensure accurate recording of all activity within area for which the postholder is responsible, including any service plan monitoring information as required.
- To monitor achievements of quality standards, particularly performance targets and support initiatives to maximise throughput and minimise delayed pathways.
- To prepare monthly performance monitoring reports for the Divisions Management Team and to prepare more detailed quarterly analysis of performance trends.
- To prepare Business Cases for service developments for submission both internally and externally as required.
- To act as the Divisions link for both internal and external IT developments, in particular to support the development of the Electronic Patient Record.
- To support the Division in planning and scheduling for capital developments.
- To deputise for the other Associate Service Managers in periods of absence.
- Educated to first level degree or equivalent experience
- Management/leadership qualification or equivalent experience at post graduate level
- Further relevant training
- Master's degree
- Clinical background
- Proven experience of working in a management/leadership role in an acute healthcare environment.
- Experience of leading and motivating a team
- Leading service changes to improve performance and leading projects
- Identifying and interpreting national policy and implementing required changes
Knowledge and SkillsEssential
- Responsible for a budget and budget setting
- Business case development and annual planning, longer term planning
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Awareness of current legislation and developments and agenda within the NHS, particularly in relation to A& E constitutional standards
- Financial procedures including budget setting and working knowledge of financial processes
- Business planning /annual planning/long term planning
- In depth understanding of change management
- Able to use IT systems including Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of service improvements/transformation and project management
- Risk management and governance
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS TrustAddress
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.